Why did you choose your ccw? - Page 2

Why did you choose your ccw?

This is a discussion on Why did you choose your ccw? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked mine because it is pretty. Seriously though. I carry many different guns. They all must fire 500 rounds with no gun related failures. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why did you choose your ccw?

VIP Member
    I picked mine because it is pretty.

Seriously though. I carry many different guns. They all must fire 500 rounds with no gun related failures. I must be able to hit with them. No ergonomic problems allowed. They must be concealable. Nothing below a 38 spc need apply for CCW duties.

-Scott-

For me, it's my Sig 226. It's worked when it had to, and never let me down. I shoot it as fast as it pretty well will lock up and can put the rounds on target without thinking about it, and I don't feel underarmed with it in the slightest.

I carried one in .357 for a while but when the old lady stole one of my 9mms, I went back to the beat-up old-standard for one simple reason: it was silly for each of us to carry the same gun and not have immediately compatible magazines.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Well,I started buying my pistiols several years ago, revolvers,and autos. After trying several types I usually carry one of the 1911s. Depends on season , type of clothing , and sometimes just what I want to carry on any given day. I will change pieces from time to time just to stay in practice with it. And when I go to the range I spend time with several of them.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout

I chose a GLOCK 26 for many reasons.
    1. Reliablilty
    2. Quality
    3. Concealability
    4. Capacity
    5. Simplicity of maintanence
    6. Points naturally
    7. Round is IMO a good self defense round and cheap for practice.
    8. Accuracy

My 26 fills all of these needs very well. What's you carry gun and why did you choose it?
    Well the Glock 23 was my choice with similar reasoning. I like the .40 over the 9mm for my piece of mind. I like the fact that it has no manual safety so it is just pull and press to go bang. Every gun I carry needs to have this same setup. I will occasionally steal my lady's model 60 to carry and I have my R9 in the office. Now the Sig which has the DAK trigger so no DA to SA transition, and again no manual safety. Pull and press. . .

1911 for me too, I carry either a Kimber UCDP or Colt Combat Commander depending on the day and dress.

I am with acparmed, same basic reasons and the 1911 just fits me the best so far and deadly accurate.

I do want more capacity though. I see myself evolving to the SIG 220SAS at some point because it is an interesting carry piece that I would like to try out and SIG is known for reliability.

The new XD45 is also interesting and would like to look at this gun for carry too, seems to have it all if you can conceal the grip well.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

OD*

for

1. Reliability
    2. Quality
    3. Concealability (nice and flat)
    4. Capacity (8 is better than 5)
    5. Simplicity of maintenance (self-contained tool-box)
    6. Points naturally
    7. Round is a good self defense cartridge
    8. Accuracy (hard to surpass their triggers)
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by jjack
    I am SO envious! That is such a sweet gun. Once my credit cards heal up a bit, it's next on my list.
    Yes, it's like finding a beautiful woman who cooks and cleans like she means it.

S&W 9mm model 906.

Parents bought it for me for my 21st Birthday. I wanted it because it was slim and light. Its very easy to conceil and shoots great.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Why the XD series?

- I needed the form factor of a flat gun, I was having no luck concealing a revolver.

- It has the quality a defensive gun needs at a price I'm willing to pay.

- Goes bang every time, and 999 out of 1000 of them are fine out of the box.

- Perfect ergonomics for my hand.

- The "safest" gun without an external safety imho.

- Available in satisfactory chamberings

- Adequate holster support

- Magazines are good quality and inexpensive *

- The fact that they're ugly polymer abominations means I have no qualms about treating it like a tool to be used. All my XDs have wear and scratches and I don't care.

- It's got a trigger I can handle and sights I can see.

- Load, rack/release, and fire operation.

- I believe a defensive pistol should, ideally, not have to be modified to work. The XD needs no modifications to suit me unless it's being built up into a competition gun, and even then something as simple as installing a new guide rod does wonders for its performance.

* With current exception of XD45ACP...

About 90% of the time I carry a Kahr K9. Exceptionally slim, chambered in a major caliber that is still comfortable and controllable to shoot in a small package. I can conceal it easily and still get a full grip on it - I'm one of those guys who doesn't like his pinky out there flapping.

It's a solid little brick of stainless steel and rubber. I like the weight, not a burden by any means, but substantial. I can't argue with the reliability and durability of the polymer pistols out there, but I'm a big fan of steel. Plus it's American made, which is a plus in my book.

I got used to the DAO manual of arms pretty quickly, after years of shooting and carrying a 1911. The trigger is awesome, one of the best DAOs I have ever tried. Light and consistent, with a clean break at the end (no stacking). Comparable to a light, tuned DA revolver pull.

Once in a while I'll break out the old warhorse Colt to carry, but for the majority of the time I carry the Kahr. It wouldn't be my first choice for the streets of Baghdad, but I wouldn't be armed solely with a pistol in that situation anyway. For stateside CCW it works great for me.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

I chose a SIG P226ST in 357 for many reasons:

1. Fits my hand best, so it points naturally, so I shoot it best.
    2. SIG for Reliablilty, Quality, Accuracy and Simplicity of maintenance.
    3. 226 because it fit best and was available in stainless.
    4. Stainless for daily carry, and because the 226 ST is the perfect platform for the 357SIG.
    5. 357SIG for .357 Mag performance in a semi-auto platform, reliability, consistency, accuracy, and versatility. For the price of a barrel change, I get two excellent rounds (357SIG/.40S&W) without having to change springs or mags. And because I wanted to shoot personally what I used for work.
    6. Gold Dots for effective, consistent performance, and availability (I really prefer Ranger-T's but they are more work to get).
    7. Brommeland Leather because I prefer Brommeland.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

My choice is the Glock 23, for all the reasons listed in the first post of this thread.

In fact, it looks as though we all chose our carry piece for essentially the same exact reasons. So, isn't it interesting that we did not all choose the same gun?

I guess it has something to do with the fact that if we produced a list of qualities we'd like to have in a woman, we would not end up all dating the same one. (I hope! )

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

1943 - 2009

My CCW Choice Is:

A Colt LW Commander .45 ACP.

Because it's lightweight and flat.

Because it shoots a big bad-A$$ bullet.

Because it's a COLT

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I picked mine because it is pretty. Seriously though. I carry many different guns. They all must fire 500 rounds with no gun related failures. I must be able to hit with them. No ergonomic problems allowed. They must be concealable. Nothing below a 38 spc need apply for CCW duties. -Scott-
    Yup, those are all precisely my reasons for every gun I carry. Beyond that, once it meets the above specifications, my choices are all weather driven and what will conceal beneath what my wife wants me to wear. Cool weather: H&K USP 45 (full size) Warmer weather: Either a Sig P245 or a Glock M27 shorty-forty.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

When I had a Glock 30:
    Caliber and Capacity
    Cost
    Availability of accessories (holsters, sights, etc.)
    Size
    Simplicity

Taurus 605 .357
    The only handgun I have now after selling my G30.

Near Future:
    Kimber Pro Carry 10mm conversion
    Same reasons as G30 above, except cost and simplicity/ ease of maintainence. Although fairly reasonable (for a 1911) is is a lot more than a Glock 20 or 29. I can detail strip a Glock in the time it takes to field strip a 1911. But I want a 10mm again and a 1911 so I mated the ideas.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links