Why did you choose your ccw? - Page 5

Why did you choose your ccw?

This is a discussion on Why did you choose your ccw? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 19 rounds of 10mm! Sounds like your ready for anything....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why did you choose your ccw?

19 rounds of 10mm! Sounds like your ready for anything.

Glock -29 in 10mm, I have been thinking of getting a replacement barrell in .357SIG, just to have that 2-in-1 thing.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    19 rounds of 10mm! Sounds like your ready for anything.

Yup. Gun will ship today. I will test fire in 40 to make sure everything is smooth, then it is off to Hunter Customs for a barrel ream to 10mm. All I have now is cheap Blazer 10mm but when I get paid next week I will be getting some Double Tap 135s and 180XTPs.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I sort of went nuts when I first got my permit and bought several different guns.

Now I have thinned the herd to a 4" Kimber compact and a P-3AT.
    Woking towards a WC Compact CQB.

I have always been a big fan of the 1911 platform and the 45acp.
    I just had to find out for myself..... I already knew both are proven fight stoppers.
    John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner were the Albert Einstein's of the Gun Industry!

Well I started in the military with a 1911 and a S&W Model 10 snub then to a M9 and then a Sig 228. When I left the service I worked as a LEO and used a Model 57 S&W 41 Mag 4" and had a Magnported Model 57 with a 2.5" barrel and K Frame round butt grip as plain cloths and off duty guns with a S&W Model 60 in an ankle rig and jacket pocket as a back up. The department made us switch to semi-autos and since we had to buy our own I went with a Delta Elite 10mm for on duty and the Model 60 as back up still. After becoming a civilian again I used my Model 60 and snub 57 till they got to be a pain to conceal with my work. So now I am using a Kahr K9 that I added the Elite Trigger and Wood Grips . SO right now I use either the same old Model 60 or the K9 depending on my mood.
    Reason for using these 2 is simple I can shoot them accuratly and concel them better. As far as load used Federal 147 HST in Kahr and Speer 135 +P Gold Dot Short Barrel

My main carry was a Taurus 24/7 in .40S&W. But I've recently switched to the Taurus PT145 in .45. I discovered that I love it's small pkg,high capacity (11 rounds) with hard hitting caliber that I can handle well. I've put over 1k assorted rounds thru it w/o a FTF. The first 300 round were w/o cleaning or lub.I still carry the 24/7 mainly for hiking now.
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I just went over to gl*cktalk.com , and looked at which pistol p*ssed them off the most, figgureing if them net ninja's were whining about em they cant be all bad . That led to a Kahr pm9

XD9 Service.

It fits my hand perfectly. It's easy for me to handle. It's 16+1. It's reliable. It's easy to maintain. It chews up every piece of ammo I put through it. It's affordable.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I currently went to a Glock 26 with Heine Straight Eight night sights. The Glock 26 is an excellent CCW handgun. Like everyone else that carries one, it just has everything. It has taken me over ten years to come to this conclusion, and I am glad I did. I like the majority went thru a plethora of handguns to come to this conclusion. Here is a run down of what I have carried in the past.

1. Ruger P-90, excellent gun for service
    2. Colt 1991A1, now my wifes gun
    3. Browning Hi-Power 9mm, probably the best 9mm in history
    4. Taurus 85, why did I trade this gun
    5. Taurus 445, nice little big bore
    6. Ruger P97, the best semi-auto that Ruger has ever made. If it wasn't stolen I doubt I would ever purchased a Glock 19.
    7. Glock 19, excellent all-around handgun
    8. Glock 26, excellent all around handgun, and a bag of chips

I like the Glock26 over the Glock19, for the simple fact that I can shoot my 26 a heckuva lot better than my old 19. I don't know what makes me shoot the 26 1000x's better, but I can keep 8 out of 10 bullets in one ragged hole at combat distance. They also stay to Point of Aim. The Glock 19 always shot low and left.
    I'll be your Huckleberry!! I have two guns! One for each of you!

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

I currently carry a Kimber TLE/REL. As to why?? I love 1911 and the Kimber feels great in the hand plus I can hit what I aim at with no problems. I have put about 1,800 rounds through it with no problems.

Brian

I suscribe to the "Run what ya brung" therory so I am planning to carry what I have. Although the wife and I are looking at better options. We currently have a Ruger P89 and a FEG .380. Both will eat anything you feed it and are extreemly reliable. I have several thousand rounds through the Ruger so far with little problems and the FEG has a insatiable appetite.

I am looking at a CZ75 compact for a future purchase, and the wife wants a full sized Rock Island Arms 45.

Spoon

I chose a Dan Wesson / CZ, full-size, stainless 1911 .45

(I took part of OD's list)
    1. Fit - fits my hand like they came out of the womb together
    2. Reliability
    3. Quality
    4. Concealability (nice and flat)
    5. Capacity (8 is better than 5)
    6. Simplicity of maintenance (self-contained tool-box)
    7. Points naturally
    8. Round is a good self defense cartridge
    9. Accuracy - many of the items above equate to this

When I was trying to pick a CCW gun, I shot all different brands, styles and manufacturers before deciding that the 1911 was the one for me, I couldn't deny how it felt in my hand or how accurately I could shoot it.

Once I had decided on a 1911, I looked at about every current 1911 manufacturer, some have problems with QA, some have problems with support, etc. For my price range (upper-midrange to lower-upper-range, $1k, but its already tricked out from the factory), this was the best choice (for me) until I can afford an Ed Brown, Les Baer or Nighthawk.

If I had an extra grand, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Gun selection is a very personal thing. It takes time and investigation on your part to find the one that fits you and your hand/needs/lifestyle.

Find a local range that has a large selection of rental guns and shoot them all. That will help you narrow down your choices.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

My 1st CCW was a Colt Defender, too light and prone to FTE and FTF issues. Tried a HC Springfield 1911 Govt platform,,,,Grip to big and bulky. The third try was a Colt Combat Commander, 9mm, too heavy to carry day in and day out and was never sold on the 9mm. So it brings me to the present. SW1911PD Gunsite Edition is the winner.Weight, accuracy, and the S&W Name.
    Life Member NRA
    American Legion
    Disabled American Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Trade_Sniper

Bet that would of surprised the delivery room staff!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Trade_Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Bet that would of surprised the delivery room staff!
    Not until I racked the slide!
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links