Why did you choose your ccw?

This is a discussion on Why did you choose your ccw? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like to see the many different types of firearms people carry to defend themselves. I also like to hear the reasons why you chose ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why did you choose your ccw?

Why did you choose your ccw?

I like to see the many different types of firearms people carry to defend themselves. I also like to hear the reasons why you chose that particular gun.

I chose a GLOCK 26 for many reasons.
    1. Reliablilty
    2. Quality
    3. Concealability
    4. Capacity
    5. Simplicity of maintanence
    6. Points naturally
    7. Round is IMO a good self defense round and cheap for practice.
    8. Accuracy

My 26 fills all of these needs very well. What's you carry gun and why did you choose it?

2. Remove Ads

Basically the same as yours, but change the 26, to a 17

I have a Glock 17, Surefire X200B, XS Big Dots, and Blade tech gear.

I chose a GLOCK 17 for many reasons.
    1. Reliablilty
    2. Quality
    3. Concealability
    4. Capacity
    5. Simplicity of maintanence
    6. Points naturally
    7. Round is IMO a good self defense round and cheap for practice.
    8. Accuracy

I chose my Glock 17, because it's a GLOCK! I chose Surefire, because they are the best. I chose XS Sights, because they make the most sense to use for self defense.

"There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Lead Moderator
    I chose my HK long before I had my CCW. the variant options and ambi controls convinced me, as well as the 1911 style safety and HK quality reputation.
    i tried a Pt 140 taurus , but wasn't all that thrilled with it. Ended up trading it in for a SA 1911 champion. same safety style as my HK, slim profile for CCW, small enough to carry, big enough to fight with.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

When I get a 17 I want to put a Surefire X200B on it also (if thats the one that had a wider beam). I also believe Surefire is the best. I have a G2 and the smaller E2 Outdoorsman. All of my friends are really impressed with my Surefires. The 25 lumen Surefire is just as good at 100yds as the Maglights that hold 6 D cell batteries. We used both side-by-side at midnight in the middle of a lake. I have Trijicon night sights on my 26 but want to try the Heinie's. And I use Comp-Tac gear.

Rocky, HK has really impressed me with their many different control variations. They can fit just about anyones preferences.

Oh and I left out 1 more reason
    9. Price, GLOCKs are very reasonably priced

Scout, the B model x200 is the one with the wider beam.

email calvin he can get you a GREAT deal on one

brightflashlights@gmail.com
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Assistant Administrator
    Ryan - I went thru what many folks perhaps do - which I call an ''evolution''. In fact we had a thread so titled a while back.

My first suitable piece was a snub M85 - did fine for a year or so then I went semi with P95 for some while (figures eh!). I then tried the feel of such things as BHP, M28-2, SW99 - and settled then, for again quite some time, on SP-101.

I did tho really want semi and so finished up trying the SIG 226 - which fortunately does all I want and has finally settled me on my carry for probably a good long time to come - tho 228 and even 220 may well take its place easily - same manual of arms - and that is now very important to me - no wish to keep chopping and changing a carry piece to any significant degree.

I can tho downsize to SW99 and feel OK with it - I can also make a BUG R9 my 1 if need be but for most part - I am settled now in my choice. Just took a while to really find the ideal - for me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    A Kahr P-9 because it is light, flat, (making it easy to carry) accurate, shoots a decent caliber (9mm), reliable and I got a good deal on it.

Glock 19. Reliablilty, Durability, accuracy. I love the K.I.S.S. operation, seeing that I am simple and stupid ., Its a great 9mm platform.

1911. Durability, relyability, time tested & proven, it has a nice ergonomic feel with a single action trigger, most importantly its as American as apple pie!, Its a great .45 platform.

1952 - 2006

Just because, IMO, it's the best platform for the job.

Of course cost wasn't the factor, I have in my 1911's what you would have in a half-dozen Glocks.

It's what I like, what I shoot well, practice with consistently and trust most, all in one package.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I chose a Kimber Compact CDP, out of the magazine advertisement. It was love at first sight, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't just spit and polish. I went to gun shows and asked about Kimber, and heard nothing but high praise. When I finally bought one for myself, and broke it in for some time, I showed it to a friend who'd been around guns longer than I have. He said for the money I spent I could not have gotten anything better.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    a smith chief's special because I am called "chiefs-special-guy" and it would be weird if I carried a Glock...
    Seriously, older Smith revolvers are completely reliable, shootable, and beautiful. The special is easily carried in my coat pocket or owb small holster.
    Nothing to remember under stress- just aim and pull the trigger. Nothing to forget to do if it comes to it. Which I hope it won't.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Shekkian
    I chose a Kimber Compact CDP, out of the magazine advertisement. It was love at first sight . . . . He said for the money I spent I could not have gotten anything better.
    I am SO envious! That is such a sweet gun. Once my credit cards heal up a bit, it's next on my list.

I live in Florida, so have two 'regular' carry guns:
    .40 Springfield XD for cooler weather (jackets/coats) and car carry. It's a bit large for in-the-pants carry, but just feels good in my hand. Very accurate.
    .45 Para Nighthog for the other 9 months. Easily concealed (about the same size as the above-mentioned Kimber), shoots well, and a nice trigger.

Smile

I bought a Sig 229 .40 because I think it is the perfect pistol..I just bought a Colt Agent .38 from a friend..I may even carry it
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

Been carrying my CZ-2075 RAMI .40 caliber for some time but recently switched to a Glock 23. Out in the yard, it's my Ruger SP-101 .357 magnum. I always consider reliability the main factor in any of my guns and these three are outstanding.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links