340 M&P problem?

This is a discussion on 340 M&P problem? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed last night while cleaning my M&P 340 that where the barrel shround connects to the frame theres a very tiny gap. It like ...

Thread: 340 M&P problem?

340 M&P problem?

I noticed last night while cleaning my M&P 340 that where the barrel shround connects to the frame theres a very tiny gap. It like a half moon shape and very slight theres no movement of the barrel or shroud. The barrel and shroud appear to be fine and attached properly in every way.

I know its not a crack or split of any kind. I bought this gun brand new and hope this isn't a defect of any kind. So I checked out another M&P 340 at local gun shop and it was pretty much the same way as mine,what gives here? I've included a picture so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I've already sent this picture to S&W's customer service Email and along with a brief description.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have had my M&P 340CT for several years and after seeing your post I decided to check it. There is no crack, half moon or otherwise. I think I would send a copy of the picture to S&W and ask them.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member
    Mine also does not have that gap. You did the right thing by contacting S&W.

As best that I can see, mine does not have that gap..... fwiw

So its safe to say this is not normal then? Should I call S&W back and ask them to send me a return label?

VIP Member
    I went and looked at mine for you and I also have no gap there. I really don't think it is a problem, more cosmetic but if S&W will fix it I'd sure let them.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thumper you might have a point bout it being only cosmetic and nothing serious. As I said it doesn't appear to be a crack or anything of that nature. I looked at another 340 M&P today and it had a gap like mine only more minute. I wouldn't think a gun this expensive would have cosmetic flaws.

I would think of it were an over tight barrel or some kind of frame crack,the gun wouldn't be as accurate as it is. Now that you mention it Thumper I recall some 642's that had some cosmetic issues with their barrels but functioned fine. Could this be the issue with mine? If its only cosmetic I can live with it rather than be with out my gun for 6 weeks,S&W said this was what they were running at right now for turn around times. Is there anyway for my gun smith to know by checking it if its purely cosmetic before I send it back to S&W?

Between that and the gawd awful hole you have where the a-hole you bought the fun from removed the internal lock safety....I would say there is a reason the gun was for sale.

I have never seen a used M+P 340 for sale.

Danimal I bought the gun new in box and had the locking flag reinstalled minus the locking stud.

My bad. I thought it was used as the locking stud was missing. I just pulled mine out and double checked it under some good lighting....and the gap between the barrel and frame was not there on mine.

I'd send it back for some touch up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Thumper you might have a point bout it being only cosmetic and nothing serious. As I said it doesn't appear to be a crack or anything of that nature. I looked at another 340 M&P today and it had a gap like mine only more minute. I wouldn't think a gun this expensive would have cosmetic flaws.

I would think of it were an over tight barrel or some kind of frame crack,the gun wouldn't be as accurate as it is. Now that you mention it Thumper I recall some 642's that had some cosmetic issues with their barrels but functioned fine. Could this be the issue with mine? If its only cosmetic I can live with it rather than be with out my gun for 6 weeks,S&W said this was what they were running at right now for turn around times. Is there anyway for my gun smith to know by checking it if its purely cosmetic before I send it back to S&W?
    PM sent!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links