Sig Operation Question

This is a discussion on Sig Operation Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On a Sig like the P226, used by my Township police department, DA/SA is this the type that when the hammer is forward and you ...

Thread: Sig Operation Question

Sig Operation Question

On a Sig like the P226, used by my Township police department, DA/SA is this the type that when the hammer is forward and you pull the trigger at 12 pounds I believer the trigger stays back for the follow up shots at a lighter trigger pull? I tried finding an explanation of the operation of these pistols but I could not find one. Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You're close, the DA pull of my P220 is 10 lbs. When the gun goes bang, the action slides back, ejecting the spent casing and "cocking" the hammer for the 4 lb. SA trigger pull. You of course can choose to fire every shot SA, by simply cocking the hammer before the first trigger pull.

Hope this is what you are looking for.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for posting it. Sounds like a pretty nice operation. No external safety, heavy first trigger pull, light follow up trigger pulls, and a hammer de-cocking lever.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I love the DA/SA on Sig pistols, Chains... at first I was concerned about the lack of a safety, but not anymore... I currently carry a P220 in 45, and my next handgun will no doubt be another DA/SA Sig in 9 or 40...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

VIP Member
    I have a P226 in .40 and am thinking of getting a P220 in .45 some thime later this year.

VIP Member
    Standard DA/SA trigger. Trigger pull for both DA and SA will vary by manufacturer.10-12 lbs seems to be about standard for DA, 4-5 lbs for SA mode. My CZ's run about those poundage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I love the DA/SA on Sig pistols, Chains... at first I was concerned about the lack of a safety, but not anymore... I currently carry a P220 in 45, and my next handgun will no doubt be another DA/SA Sig in 9 or 40...
    So, do you carry this particular pistol in SA or do you carry in DA then let the pistol in essence automatically select SA for subsequent follow up shots?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    A DA/SA pistol without a Safety should really never be carried cocked; you should fire the first shot double-action.

Here's a quick primer.

DA means the trigger does two things, cocking and releasing the hammer. SA means the trigger does one thing, releasing the hammer. A DA/SA pistol works because the slide action cocks the hammer as it runs back after the first shot.

You will also hear DA/SA referred to occasionally as Traditional Double Action (TDA) or, when people are being a little lazy, just Double Action (DA).

Another trigger type is Single Action Only (SAO), where you must manually cock the weapon before it can be fired. Old style (a.k.a. 'cowboy') revolvers are SAO, so you must use your thumb or off-hand to cock the hammer as you present the weapon. Semi-autos that are SAO have some sort of manual safety allowing the weapon to be carried cocked and locked (a.k.a. Condition 1) in the holster. 1911 pattern pistols are the typical examples here, but SIG makes several SAO pistols in .45 ACP and a couple of high-end target pistols SAO in other calibers.

Finally, you get Double Action Only or DAO. You have to use the trigger to cock and release the hammer. On a semi-auto this means the pistol is designed to decock itself as the slide comes forward, and the hammer is generally bobbed so as to prevent manual cocking to SA mode. Modern revolvers are generally DAO, but many of them can actually be cocked to SA mode with a very light trigger pull at that point.

SIG has a new DAO type trigger system called DAK, for "Double Action, Kellerman" (Kellerman is the designer). It is a DAO system that features a short reset position like a DA/SA setup; whereas DA/SA has a heavy pull on the long DA stroke and a lighter SA pull, on the DAK the long reset is a lighter trigger weight than the short reset. Pretty much every new DAO gun from SIG these days uses the DAK system (they used to sell both regular DAO and DAK), except the P250, which still uses a normal DAO trigger setup without the short reset.

(Oh, and just to muddy the waters a bit further, there are some DA/SA guns out there with a manual safety that can be engaged on a cocked gun; that is, they are DA/SA but you can carry them cocked and locked like an SAO. CZ and Beretta have some of these, as, I believe, does H&K.)

That should cover it.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    same here,the first trigger pull gives you plenty of (time) to think about weather you want to shoot or not. no safety is needed. also i agree w/Kazzaerexys about never carrying a sig da/sa pistol cocked.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Thanks kazzaerexys for the very in depth explanation. I have been reading about firearms since a very young age, unfortunately for me that only included rifles and revolvers. So the Sig pistols confused me with the DA/SA, DAO, and finally DAK systems. But you cleared it up nicely.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually there is a safety of sorts. It's not a manual safety but the hammer does move away from the firing pin after each shot is fired and won't strike the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Actually there is a safety of sorts. It's not a manual safety but the hammer does move away from the firing pin after each shot is fired and won't strike the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
    There are actually 4 internal safeties on the Sig Classic line of pistols. Here is the four-point safety system; decocking lever, patented automatic firing pin safety block, safety intercept notch, and trigger bar disconnector.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Huge fan of the DA/SA pistols. When I decide to shoot my 226 or 239, I have to PULL (or squeeze for you instructor types) the trigger. No manual safeties to work when the pulse is racing or anything like that. At the same time, you can't (unless you're a complete idiot) accidently fire off a DA shot. It takes a conscious effort to squeeze off a 10 lb pull. Second and subsequent shots should take less thought and will likely be a bit more rapid, ergo the SA comes in handy. To each his own, but I like the DA/SA.

As an aside, what classification do Glocks meet? I've shot Glocks, but are they technically DA, SA, or something else? The first shot out of a Glock usually surprises me (I'm used to DA/SA Sigs), but the subsequent shots don't. I think all Glock trigger pulls are in the 4-5lb range and I'm familiar with the Glock safety system. I'm just curious what the Glock afficionados call their guns. Thanks!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Kazz, Stormbringerr, and Holger have it right...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Kazz nailed it. Never carry that 226 with the hammer cocked. ND waiting to happen.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Links