Carry gun for the Fiance

Carry gun for the Fiance

This is a discussion on Carry gun for the Fiance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have convinced my fiance to get some professional training and go for her CCW. Now the the tricky part, finding a gun that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carry gun for the Fiance

So I have convinced my fiance to get some professional training and go for her CCW. Now the the tricky part, finding a gun that is right for her. I had her shoot my G19 and a G26. The G26 was better for her but she has really small hands. I had her hold a Kahr, Ruger LCR, and SW Airlite. I am interested in your thoughts on what sort of gun for her. Thanks,
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Small guns like the LCR, j-frame, and the smaller Kahrs are difficult to shoot well, particularly for beginners. I'd recommend something in the compact range, rather than subcompact or smaller.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Bought my wife a Springfield XD9 subcompact and she loves it.

VIP Member
    How about the Ruger SP101 in .327 magnum?

Kel-Tec PF9

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Shopping trip. She needs to go to a big gun shop or show and fondle as many as possible. My wife was completely unpredictable when shopping for her first carry gun. Also, if an auto remains an option, make sure she is comfortable working the slide.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

For small hands the Kel-Tec should work. My wife has small hands but hates my PF9. She has the S&W J frame in 38 special. Neither of us find either of these fun guns to shoot although if it were needed I believe either would do the job.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Shopping trip. She needs to go to a big gun shop or show and fondle as many as possible. My wife was completely unpredictable when shopping for her first carry gun. Also, if an auto remains an option, make sure she is comfortable working the slide.
    Yep!!

Also have her shoot as many different types as possible. The one she thinks is "cute" will be of little use to her if she can't operate it properly.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I went to 3 gun stores with my wife and had her hold all the hand guns in the stores. She wasn't comfortable with the Kel-Tecs even though the PF-9 is perfect for me and I have larger hands. She fell in love with the fit and feel of the Ruger SP-101 .357 mag. It didn't hurt that she really liked the weight of it and she liked the look of the spurless hammer too. Leave it to my wife to put as much weight on the looks of a gun as fit and function. She felt a lot safer with a gun that had some weight and the handle felt just right in her hand. I guess what I am saying is get her the gun that fits her hand perfectly.
    Is this going back more future than we were?

We don't react, we respond.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    How about the Ruger SP101 in .327 magnum?
    I've read some good stuff on that caliber. You can also shoot .32 mags in it too to lighten up the recoil. Plus it holds 6 shots.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I have girlie hands, kinda smallish, I guess. I love my Sig P239, but I also loved the Glock 26. I tried a Kel-Tec --not sure which one?-- in a .380, it looked like a kid-size version and I laughed...until I shot it. Definitely had more bang than I was expecting, but I didn't like it, it felt too small in my hands.

My advice? Have your Fiancee come with you on SEVERAL trips to a few different places, to try out as many makes/models as you can get her to. She'll find the one that fits best, believe me :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

+1 on the p239..it is very nice and slim, or the G26. My Fiance is going with the G26, because that is what she likes but definitely go with something like the 26 or p239. Maybe look toward the p238 or p230/232...line in .380 or maybe even a Walther PPK. Maybe look at the M&P compacts or Walther PPS.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Make sure she tries a Kahr P9 or CW9. The "checkering" on the grip is a little aggressive, but adding a #3 Qwik Grip takes care of that nicely. Pistol has a slim, single stack grip that seems suited for smaller hands.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Yep, she has to fondle them... kinda like shoes... you simply don't have the equipment to pick out shoes for her...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by jensen47770 View Post
    So I have convinced my fiance to get some professional training and go for her CCW. Now the the tricky part, finding a gun that is right for her. I had her shoot my G19 and a G26. The G26 was better for her but she has really small hands. I had her hold a Kahr, Ruger LCR, and SW Airlite. I am interested in your thoughts on what sort of gun for her. Thanks,
    Got the S&W 642 with pink grips for the wifey... She loves it and has finally decided to carry... It is small and probably not the most comfortable shooter but it will go bang if needed and at Self defense distances, it should be very effective. My wife would not carry my SP101 because it is too heavy and too big (for her... I think it is really small compared to my G30 which I carry almost everyday).

Besides, the 642 can be shot from a pocket or purse if needed. I just don't want my wife dealing with an auto... God forbid there is a malfunction, she has not trained in troubleshooting autos.

Good luck!~
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links