Considering buying my 1st 1911. Suggestions needed.

This is a discussion on Considering buying my 1st 1911. Suggestions needed. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have loved the look of 1911's for years, but I don't feel comfortable with SA/DA pistols with thumb safeties. I want something to help ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering buying my 1st 1911. Suggestions needed.

I have loved the look of 1911's for years, but I don't feel comfortable with SA/DA pistols with thumb safeties. I want something to help me get comfortable with the format. Something to take to the range and give me the experience to carry a 1911 sometime soon. I don't mind spending up to $800, but I'd rather keep the price low and spend the money on something nicer when I feel comfortable with 1911's in general. They are such sexy firearms. All advice is welcomed and requested. Thanks guys and gals.

P.S.- Tips, Recommendations, Calibers, Brands, etc - all are needed.
    Last edited by Some1Any1; June 5th, 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

2. Remove Ads

Easy. XDm.

I'll let everyone who agrees with me explain why.

I'm rather fond of my Para Ordnance 18.9, double stack and 9mm. It's blasphemous to a 1911 purist.
    S&W M&P .40 Compact
    Para Ordnance 18.9 9mm
    Wesson Mod 15 .357
    Ruger GP100 .357
    Remington 870 Express 12ga

Colt in 45acp or 10mm.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    If you want a starter 1911, I would suggest a RIA tactical. Great gun for the money. You can buy a premium 1911 after you drive the RIA for a while.

ROCK ISLAND TACTICAL 1911 5" 45ACP*LOOK * : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

rock island armory 1911 custom enhanced 45auto : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

First of all they are SA only, mabey you just had a typo, but with that price range go for a Springfield Armory Loaded, or a milspec you wont be disapointed. the taurus line is also very good i have one and its trigger is just as good as my SA loaded. the Rock Islands are great starters but may require some smithing to polish the feed ramp and check the extractor but they seem to break in very well.
    "Welcome to Tennessee, the great state of shootin' stuff." Mark Wahlberg The Shooter
    "It's like killin' roaches, You hafta kill 'em all, otherwise whats the point." Charlie Bronson Death Wish 3

I second the Rocks. I have to and both have functioned flawless straight out of the box. I highly recommend 1 to anybody looking for a great 1911 at a even better price.

My Compact Rock: All I have done is shorten the beavertail grip safety. Waiting to add night sights.

And my Full size Rock: I've added night sights, and modified the grip safety to work with a commander hammer.

JD
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sgaterboy View Post
    Easy. XDm.

I'll let everyone who agrees with me explain why.
    Yeah, OK....

As suggested above, a Springfield Loaded. I've had over a dozen different 1911s from Llama to Wilson Combat and Springfield is what I recommend as a first 1911, you get the features you need without too steep a price and if you find that the 1911 is not for you, the gun has more resale value.

If you're up for some more reading here's a series of blog entries I wrote on the matter...

So you want to buy a 1911(Part 1)

So you want to buy a 1911(Part 2)
    So you want to buy a 1911(Part 3)

So you want to buy a 1911(Part 4)

So you want to buy a 1911(Part 5)

And yes, I have an XDM too.

I would be doing you an injustice if I didn't suggest a Kimber.

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Some1Any1 View Post
    I don't mind spending up to $800, but I'd rather keep the price low and spend the money on something nicer when I feel comfortable with 1911's in general.
    With what you say I'd highly recommend the RIA's.

TACTICAL 1911 45 acp 5" Rock Island 45ACP : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Rock Island MID SIZE 4".. LOOK I GOT UM! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

from 395.00 to 445.00 , you just can't beat the price. Good starter 1911 or like in my case good EDC. There cheap enough and the quality is good that you can change out parts to suit your tastes.

Good luck in the decision, let us know what you get.

Okay, I've gone through and read your initial post a few times and I'm a little confused. It looks like you want a pistol with the same mechanical features of a 1911 but not a 1911 itself judgeing from this statement:
    I want something to help me get comfortable with the format.
    If that's the case, then I'm sure that's why the XDm was suggested.

If that's not the case and this is just the onset of dementia for me, I have to go with a Kimber Custom II in either stainless or blued for your first 1911. You're going to get a very accurate gun with a great trigger. You'll probably like the sights better as opposed to the mil-spec style sights found on a lot of entry level 1911's. I have two Kimbers and my friend has three and all have been fantastic guns with no issues.

You could always do as I am right now and go with a 1911 and carry in condition 2 to get used to the gun.

Before I get flamed I understand condition2 isn't as good for rapid deployment but my current holster setup sometimes disengages the safety so until I get a better holster system this is how I safely carry my 1911.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Buy a Springfield Mil-Spec. It should have all the features you want/need, and at a price under $800. Then as you do get comfortable with the platform if you want to customize it with other features, you have a great starting point to work with.

If it was me I'd either go the above route, or spend the $800 and get a Springfield Loader or the base S&W 1911 model.

I'd recommend purchasing a full sized 1911 that closely copies the original specs rather than tricked out or modified versions. My son and a friend both tried out the plain-jain Rock Island guns and they are great.

I have a 1918 vintage 1911 and a 1943 vintage 1911A1 and also grew up around a couple more U.S. military .45s along with a plain ol' Colt Government Model. These guns all have given reliable function and are more accurate than I am. Early in my adult gun hobby career I observed a shootin' bud strive mightily to customize his perfectly good Colt Series 70 Government Model. Lot's of tightening, aftermarket parts, and Dremel tool work later he had a finicky piece of junk that worked fine when he got it. He became disgusted with the 1911, said it was no good, and got rid of it.

This is frequently the problem with 1911 guns. Folks either buy into some maker's notions of what a 1911 should be or else play "dress-up" modifying or altering the guns themselves. If a person whacked on a Glock or played presto-chango it'd be balky too. The 1911 is almost unique in that it's the only handgun for which a cottage industry has sprung up, raking in big money selling fancy pistols, aftermarket parts and tuning, all for a gun design that never really required all such hokiness in the first place. If a person wants to build his hobby around custom 1911s then fine but it simply isn't required. It is a disservice to the pistol to think that it is required.

My Colt Series 70 Gold Cup can occasionally hiccup but it is infrequent and besides, it was never bought to use for self defense anyway. I don't really view it in the same way I do a proper fighting 1911.

I'll take my 1911s straight.

A person really needs to make his peace with carrying the 1911 cocked and locked if he is to make proper use of the gun.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I suggest to just go ahead and get a 1911. It can be carried empty around your house and you can use its functions until you are confident with the thumb safety.

Why spend money on something that "mimics" what you are really looking for?? Nothing out there is exactly the same as a 1911.

With the grip safety combined with the thumb safety, the 1911 is one of the safest pistols ever made.

With that said, I would recommend starting with a Springfield Loaded, MilSpec or a G.I. Model. I just got a Springfield WWII Replica G.I. and they can be had for under $600. I couldn't be happier really.

Oh, I also carry the Springfield XD45acp Service model. No thumb safety, just a grip safety and its chambered 24/7 just like my 1911 is.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links