Defensive Carry banner

Considering buying my 1st 1911. Suggestions needed.

3K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  archer51 
#1 · (Edited)
I have loved the look of 1911's for years, but I don't feel comfortable with SA/DA pistols with thumb safeties. I want something to help me get comfortable with the format. Something to take to the range and give me the experience to carry a 1911 sometime soon. I don't mind spending up to $800, but I'd rather keep the price low and spend the money on something nicer when I feel comfortable with 1911's in general. They are such sexy firearms. All advice is welcomed and requested. Thanks guys and gals.

P.S.- Tips, Recommendations, Calibers, Brands, etc - all are needed.

#8 ·
:thinking:

Considering buying my [highlight]1st 1911[/highlight]. Suggestions needed.

:scruntiny: Yeah, OK....

As suggested above, a Springfield Loaded. I've had over a dozen different 1911s from Llama to Wilson Combat and Springfield is what I recommend as a first 1911, you get the features you need without too steep a price and if you find that the 1911 is not for you, the gun has more resale value.

If you're up for some more reading here's a series of blog entries I wrote on the matter...

So you want to buy a 1911(Part 1)

So you want to buy a 1911(Part 2)
So you want to buy a 1911(Part 3)

So you want to buy a 1911(Part 4)

So you want to buy a 1911(Part 5)

And yes, I have an XDM too. :tired:

#5 ·
#6 ·
First of all they are SA only, mabey you just had a typo, but with that price range go for a Springfield Armory Loaded, or a milspec you wont be disapointed. the taurus line is also very good i have one and its trigger is just as good as my SA loaded. the Rock Islands are great starters but may require some smithing to polish the feed ramp and check the extractor but they seem to break in very well.

#7 ·
I second the Rocks. I have to and both have functioned flawless straight out of the box. I highly recommend 1 to anybody looking for a great 1911 at a even better price.

My Compact Rock: All I have done is shorten the beavertail grip safety. Waiting to add night sights.

And my Full size Rock: I've added night sights, and modified the grip safety to work with a commander hammer.

#10 ·
I don't mind spending up to $800, but I'd rather keep the price low and spend the money on something nicer when I feel comfortable with 1911's in general.
With what you say I'd highly recommend the RIA's.

TACTICAL 1911 45 acp 5" Rock Island 45ACP : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Rock Island MID SIZE 4".. LOOK I GOT UM! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

from 395.00 to 445.00 , you just can't beat the price. Good starter 1911 or like in my case good EDC. There cheap enough and the quality is good that you can change out parts to suit your tastes.

Good luck in the decision, let us know what you get.

#11 ·
Okay, I've gone through and read your initial post a few times and I'm a little confused. It looks like you want a pistol with the same mechanical features of a 1911 but not a 1911 itself judgeing from this statement:
I want something to help me get comfortable with the format.
If that's the case, then I'm sure that's why the XDm was suggested.

If that's not the case and this is just the onset of dementia for me, I have to go with a Kimber Custom II in either stainless or blued for your first 1911. You're going to get a very accurate gun with a great trigger. You'll probably like the sights better as opposed to the mil-spec style sights found on a lot of entry level 1911's. I have two Kimbers and my friend has three and all have been fantastic guns with no issues.

#12 ·
You could always do as I am right now and go with a 1911 and carry in condition 2 to get used to the gun.

Before I get flamed I understand condition2 isn't as good for rapid deployment but my current holster setup sometimes disengages the safety so until I get a better holster system this is how I safely carry my 1911.

#13 ·
Buy a Springfield Mil-Spec. It should have all the features you want/need, and at a price under $800. Then as you do get comfortable with the platform if you want to customize it with other features, you have a great starting point to work with.

If it was me I'd either go the above route, or spend the $800 and get a Springfield Loader or the base S&W 1911 model.

#14 ·
I'd recommend purchasing a full sized 1911 that closely copies the original specs rather than tricked out or modified versions. My son and a friend both tried out the plain-jain Rock Island guns and they are great.

I have a 1918 vintage 1911 and a 1943 vintage 1911A1 and also grew up around a couple more U.S. military .45s along with a plain ol' Colt Government Model. These guns all have given reliable function and are more accurate than I am. Early in my adult gun hobby career I observed a shootin' bud strive mightily to customize his perfectly good Colt Series 70 Government Model. Lot's of tightening, aftermarket parts, and Dremel tool work later he had a finicky piece of junk that worked fine when he got it. He became disgusted with the 1911, said it was no good, and got rid of it.

This is frequently the problem with 1911 guns. Folks either buy into some maker's notions of what a 1911 should be or else play "dress-up" modifying or altering the guns themselves. If a person whacked on a Glock or played presto-chango it'd be balky too. The 1911 is almost unique in that it's the only handgun for which a cottage industry has sprung up, raking in big money selling fancy pistols, aftermarket parts and tuning, all for a gun design that never really required all such hokiness in the first place. If a person wants to build his hobby around custom 1911s then fine but it simply isn't required. It is a disservice to the pistol to think that it is required.

My Colt Series 70 Gold Cup can occasionally hiccup but it is infrequent and besides, it was never bought to use for self defense anyway. I don't really view it in the same way I do a proper fighting 1911.

I'll take my 1911s straight.

A person really needs to make his peace with carrying the 1911 cocked and locked if he is to make proper use of the gun.

#15 ·
I suggest to just go ahead and get a 1911. It can be carried empty around your house and you can use its functions until you are confident with the thumb safety.

Why spend money on something that "mimics" what you are really looking for?? Nothing out there is exactly the same as a 1911.

With the grip safety combined with the thumb safety, the 1911 is one of the safest pistols ever made.

With that said, I would recommend starting with a Springfield Loaded, MilSpec or a G.I. Model. I just got a Springfield WWII Replica G.I. and they can be had for under $600. I couldn't be happier really.

Oh, I also carry the Springfield XD45acp Service model. No thumb safety, just a grip safety and its chambered 24/7 just like my 1911 is.

#16 ·
Thanks guys. A lot of good advice so far. You have me between the RIA's and the SA Mil-Spec or Loaded. I like them both. I will probably lean toward the SA since I own an XD-45 and love it. Those of you that mentioned the XDm - I like the XDm, but looking for a true 1911. I think I also want to stay with .45 ACP. I love the caliber. It may be more expensive to range fire, since that is going to be the main function of the 1911 for me, but F it. If one can spend money on a gun, one can spend money to shoot it. Otherwise it is just a paperweight.

Keep the advice coming. Thank you all.

#18 ·
You need to handle a few and ask yourself if it's a house gun or CC. I know a few people who carry full size but it's a bit large for my taste. You will be happy with Springfield or Kimber although others may be good. Look around the forums and look for the issues and praises.

I like lines or stippling on both the front and back of the grip. some pistols forgo the front and are a bit slippery for my taste. If you like light guns, the lighter the pistol the more unpleasant the recoil profile. It's always a trade-off. Do your homework shoot a few if you can. The appeal of 1911's is as much visceral as anything else, so make sure you like the feel of the gun in your hand. Don't pay too much but don't go cheap either and you should do fine. :yup:

#19 ·
Your very first 1911 should be a true Government Model with a 5" barrel. Get used to the tried and true version then investigate variations. I for one will never EVER buy any 1911 with less than a 4.25 inch barrel ever again. I have owned two and both (different brands) were awful 100% Jam-A-Matics. The best examples of the 1911 are the Government Model and the Commander.

#21 ·
I don't see why you can't start off with a premium gun and get comfortable with it. That way you won't have to by a second gun and start the process all over again. You might want to check out Para-Ordnance, High-Quality Handguns: 1911 and LDA Pistols. Para Ordnance makes 1911 pistols with very innovative designs and features. They have standard capacity and high capacity models. Barrel lengths from 3"-5" are available and you can get them in SA or DA. They can be had with blue or stainless finish and the workmanship is first rate. Check 'em out.

#25 ·
It is to go along with them, because I could only find three of the five that I wanted. The SIG P250 subcompact isn't out yet, I didn't like the Beretta and the local shop can't get the calibers I want. Don't be so smug.

#24 ·
My experience.
I had a Colt Mark IV series 70. Very reliable. It was too heavy for carry. Sold it (Big mistake) Bought a Kimber Ultra CDP II. Lots of money. After 1,000 rounds, it was still jamming. Had to send it back. Shot a couple of hundred rounds after it came back from the shop, still had a couple of hiccups.
I bought a Glock 30SF. That is going on my carry permit. It works flawless.
I am also tired of watching guys screwing around with their 1911 guns during shooting competitions.
My advise, like someone said earlier. Stick with a basic GI proven model and save your money. Should have kept my Colt.

#26 ·
I have to agree with those who recommend the RIA 1911's. Great entry level 1911 that want break the bank and you can shoot and understand what all the rest of us know about the great JM Browning design. A true American classic, that all shooters should own at least one.

#29 ·

I have had this S &W 1911Sc Commander for about 4 years. It was one of the first Sc models out as can be seen by the so-called "billboard" emblem on the side.

I have put several K rounds through this pistol with no problems at all. It has been 100% reliable in my hands requiring only an occasional cleaning and lubing.

The Sc is a scandium model and, as such, is quite light which, for me, has made it my EDC concealed carry choice for the four years I have owned it. Based only on my personal experience I recommend this pistol without reservation.:danceban:

#31 ·
My recommendation in the price range your looking at would be the Taurus PT1911. Especially now that they are no longer using the Heine straight 8 sights as the standard sights on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.