My Kahr P9 Arrived Today

This is a discussion on My Kahr P9 Arrived Today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw it on GB at a good price I bid on it and won. There were no other bids, I hope that doesn't tell ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Kahr P9 Arrived Today

Distinguished Member

My Kahr P9 Arrived Today

I saw it on GB at a good price I bid on it and won. There were no other bids, I hope that doesn't tell me something. I was looking for something to replace my 642. If it is reliable it will definitely do it, in weight ( just slightly heavier ) sights, capacity, faster reloads and one of the best triggers that I have felt ( not counting the 1911's trigger ). It came with a 7 and 8 round mag. With the 8 round mag on the grip is slightly longer than the grip on my G23. My hand also fits good with the 7 round mag. It feels great in my hand, almost as good as a 1911 does. One of the things that I like the best, it's so thin.

It was pretty easy to field strip, not as easy as a Glock, but easier than 1911, for me anyway. The only hard part is you have to tap the slide stop with the end of a plastic screw driver to get it out. They should put the line up marks on that side so you can better see that it is lined up when you try to tap it out. That is very minor though and I shouldn't say it's hard, it's just the only thing that makes it slower to field strip than a Glock.

Now all I need to do is shoot it, I might go tomorrow. Wish me luck with reliability. If it is flawless, I will be very happy with this pistol.

What 9mm carry ammo do ya'll use in your Kahr's ?

Weight- 16.9 oz
    Width- .90 in.
    Length- 5.8 in.
    Height- 4.5 in.
    Barrel- 3.6 in.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by redrick; June 6th, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    Make sure you clean, then oil and GREASE this little puppy. Kahrs like lube.

Also, don't be devastated if you get a few jams in the first 200 rounds or so until it breaks in and loosens up a little; they are tight little buggers.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member
    They must like oil it was swimming in it from the factory. When my FFL dealer handed me the case, she also handed me some paper towels to wipe off my hands after holding it. I cleaned it and oiled it with some synthetic oil, maybe I should put some lithium grease on the rails and other contact parts.

VIP Member
    Nice. We will be waiting for a range report.

Distinguished Member
    I went to the range today and put 100 rounds of 124 gr. American Eagle through it. Kahr states there is a 200 round break in period. I had 2 failures in the first 50 rounds. It failed to lock open on round 42 with the 7 round mag and it FTF on round 48 with the 8 round mag. There were no failures on the second box.

This light pistol has the most recoil that I have experienced from a 9mm, but that can be expected from such a light pistol. It did start to irritate my hand by the end of the second box,( I must not be working hard enough ). Recoil was kind of like my G23.

The trigger feels real smooth, but it is long, you can really stack it and inticipate when it is going to fire, kind of like the LEM, but better IMO. The reset is short. I am going to have to get use to this trigger as you can see in the picture.

I might put some kind of slip on grip on it, because they are so thin. It is kind of like trying to get a tight grip on a pencil. The grip is long enough though.

The sights were easy to pick up.

Overall I was pleased with the pistol, I give it a C. ,sense they do claim a 200 round break in.
    Attached Images

The P9 is one of the most naturally good feeling guns I have EVER handled. It has a very smooth trigger similar to that of a good DA revolver. Congrats
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

redrick, you can get a #3 Qwik Grip that will slide right on. It adds very little thickness to the grip, and does wonders to stop the grip frame from "biting" after a hundred rounds or so.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Distinguished Member
    BigBear, can you give me a link where I can get that grip, I have never heard of it, thanks.

Nice buy! It only has to please one person, if you like it...it's a winner.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats and enjoy your new friend!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    page2

This might be it. Thanks for the report. I been thinking about the .45 but I think it would kick like a mule.

Qwik Grip

I got the Qwik Grip at Tactical Innovations for less the $10. I'm sure they have them elsewhere.

Grips & Clips - Tactical Innovations Inc.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the links ya'll.

Congrats on your new pistol. I noticed your comment about the recoil. I got a Kahr PM9 not too long ago, and noticed the same thing. I had been shooting a Ruger P89, so the difference was quite noticeable. The "kick" wasn't as bothersome as the polymer nubs that tore a blister in my hand.

I have since added a Hogue slip on grip, and it has made a world of difference. Just food for thought if the recoil is tearing your hand up too.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Very Nice! Also a piece of a $3.00 bicycle inter tube works wonders on a ruff grip. Plus you plenty for all your pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links