whats up with the Glock "generation"

This is a discussion on whats up with the Glock "generation" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Call me stupid, but is there any diffrence in the "generations" of Glock pistols? And just what does this refer to. My G23 is about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats up with the Glock "generation"

whats up with the Glock "generation"

Call me stupid, but is there any diffrence in the "generations" of Glock pistols? And just what does this refer to. My G23 is about 10 years old. Does that make it a first, second, or third generation?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

I know that the difference between 2nd and 3rd is that the 3rd has an accessory rail and finger grooves.

As United said, the most recent is easily noticed by the rail and the different grip I'm not too familiar with the other changes.

Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

1st generation smooth grip no finger grooves no rails
    2nd generation textured grip no finger grooves no rails
    3rd generation textured grip finger grooves accessory rails*

You'll want to bookmark this page for all of your future Glock questions, and to impress your Glock owning friends!
    The Glock FAQ

My Glock 26 has the grips of the 3rd generation but it desn't have a rail on it.

I guess that means I'm in between generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    My Glock 26 has the grips of the 3rd generation but it desn't have a rail on it.

I guess that means I'm in between generations.
    The sub-compacts will not have a rail on them even if they are third generation. I insist all you Glock owners to check out the link I posted and use it for reference in addition to the best carry forum on the internet....where you are now. It will prove to be invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The sub-compacts will not have a rail on them even if they are third generation.
    The third generation Glock 29 and 30 sub-compact pistols do have rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The third generation Glock 29 and 30 sub-compact pistols do have rails.
    But the G29 and G30 are not sub-compacts....they are compacts. Live and learn grasshopper.
    Small reminder...I live, eat, breathe, and sleep Glock. Please check out the link posted previously and know your Glock.

Until I went to buy an aftermarket barrel for my G23 3rd Gen I didn't know there was a difference. My gunsmith/owner of a local gun store asked why I wanted to install an aftermarket barrel in a what is basically a close up SD gun. I entered into a discourse about the "unsupported chamber" syndrome and "Kabooms" (in .40 S&W)First off I don't shoot lead bullets, so the rifling is not an issue.
    He then proceeded to show me comparable barrels for the 2d Gen and 3rd Gen G23's along with an aftermarket Barsto barrel. It is very subtle, but the barrel on the 3rd Gen is designed more like the Barsto and has more support than the 2d Gn. His point was that the problem had been corrected in the 3rd Gen and I didn't need an aftermarket barrel unless I started firing lead.

Glock has never publicly come out and said that any change was made, but it obviously did occur. Of course I don't think the problem ever applied to the G19 (9MM) so I don't know if any change occured in that model.

Could be that they didn't want to draw public attention to the fact the barrel needed redesigning?
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

But the G29 and G30 are not sub-compacts....they are compacts. Live and learn grasshopper.
    The Glock website says they are subcompacts grasshopper.

Small reminder...I live, eat, breathe, and sleep Glock. Please check out the link posted previously and know your Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Until I went to buy an aftermarket barrel for my G23 3rd Gen I didn't know there was a difference. My gunsmith/owner of a local gun store asked why I wanted to install an aftermarket barrel in a what is basically a close up SD gun. I entered into a discourse about the "unsupported chamber" syndrome and "Kabooms" (in .40 S&W)First off I don't shoot lead bullets, so the rifling is not an issue.
    He then proceeded to show me comparable barrels for the 2d Gen and 3rd Gen G23's along with an aftermarket Barsto barrel. It is very subtle, but the barrel on the 3rd Gen is designed more like the Barsto and has more support than the 2d Gn. His point was that the problem had been corrected in the 3rd Gen and I didn't need an aftermarket barrel unless I started firing lead.

Glock has never publicly come out and said that any change was made, but it obviously did occur. Of course I don't think the problem ever applied to the G19 (9MM) so I don't know if any change occured in that model.

Could be that they didn't want to draw public attention to the fact the barrel needed redesigning?

That makes sense. I have had the barrel out for cleaning and have dropped a round into it. It was fully supported all the way along the casing, but I didn't know this was different from earlier models even though I have heard this.

.........Live and learn grasshopper.
    .........I live, eat, breathe, and sleep Glock.............
    You're exactly correct, and have helped me many times, but does the significant other do likewise?

Actually, you are a wealth of info, and I appreciate it. Just had to pull your leg for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The Glock website says they are subcompacts grasshopper.

Well, there may be some confusion here, and I won't argue, nor retract what I said earlier. But.......I think since Glock developed the SF models for the G29/G30....and those do come with rails, they are calling those sub-compact for that reason alone in my opinion. In the Glock Annual '09 magazine through GSSF, SF is portrayed as being 'short frame' instead of 'slim fit' (SF) like the larger caliber, larger frame counterparts. Since there are not three tiers of pistols in the (counting out the G36 as it stands alone) 45auto/10mm category, then technically there cannot be a subcompact version of the pistols without there being first a compact version. I'm saying there technically can't be a sub-compact available before there is a compact, and technically speaking, the G29 and G30 are compact versions of the G20 and G21. What it tells on the website you've linked to can be just as confusing as any of the Glock information out there today. How do we get to the bottom of all this? Love our Glocks.

I think since Glock developed the SF models for the G29/G30....and those do come with rails, they are calling those sub-compact for that reason alone in my opinion.
    This has nothing to do with the SF models. Glock has always called the G29/G30 sub-compacts.

Since there are not three tiers of pistols in the (counting out the G36 as it stands alone) 45auto/10mm category, then technically there cannot be a subcompact version of the pistols without there being first a compact version. I'm saying there technically can't be a sub-compact available before there is a compact, and technically speaking, the G29 and G30 are compact versions of the G20 and G21.
    Having sub-compacts without compacts is pretty common in the gun industry. Take a look at the Springfield XD, for instance. They don't make a compact in 9mm or .40, but they do make a sub-compact in both calibers. Heck, in .380 Glock makes a compact but doesn't make a full size.

What it tells on the website you've linked to can be just as confusing as any of the Glock information out there today.
    The GlockFAQ website you linked to uses a similar chart on their models page. The list the G29 and G30 as sub-compacts too.

How do we get to the bottom of all this?
    Well, we could actually look at the guns. Interestingly, with the 10 round magazine the G30 is almost exactly the same size as the G19 (when people ask why Glock doesn't make a compact .45, I tell them that they do, they just call it a sub-compact). On the other hand, the G30 only has room for two fingers on the grip itself, which puts it in the same category as the other subcompact guns. This is probably why Glock calls them subcompacts. All of the compact Glocks have a long enough grip that, in theory at least, you can get your entire hand on the grip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links