Kahr MK9

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would greatly appreciate any info, opinions, etc., from those that have actual hands on experience with the MK9. Thanks surv...

Thread: Kahr MK9

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar

Kahr MK9

I would greatly appreciate any info, opinions, etc., from those that have actual hands on experience with the MK9.

Thanks

surv

2. Remove Ads

I have an MK40 and the range where I work has a rental MK9. No problems after lots and lots and lots of rounds. The .40 is right at what I can comfortably control in a handgun, the 9 is no big deal to shoot. I bought mine used, the 9 has been around for a while so I can't speak of any break-in period.

I have a MK-9 have had it for several years it is not my regular carry gun but I do carry it ocassionally. Never has missed a lick I think it will take any 9MM ammo you want to shoot thru it. My only problem with it is the weight. I have three other Kahrs aP-40, PM-9, and a K-40 all are great gun and all work well, you won't be diappointed with it.

A friend of mine has one and loves it. He carries it daily.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...small-9mm.html

EW3
    I had one for a little while but traded it toward a Glock 21SF that I really wanted for home use.

It's a good little pistol, but heavy for its size and capacity. If you don't mind the weight, go for it. Otherwise check out the PM9 which is basically the same thing but with a polymer frame as opposed to stainless steel.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Love mine, it's my favorite carry weapon. The weight is nice I say unless you are going to pocket carry.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I have an MK9...first gun I have ever owned, and I love it. Especially with the Crimson Trace lasergrips on it, they just look like they were MADE for the gun...

First time I had ever shot it (keep in mind, I have very very little experience with handguns, automatics especially) I put up a 2-3 inch group at seven yards. Now it's closer to one inch unless I am mag dumping.

The trigger is very smooth; my Uncle who has a lot of experience, doesn't prefer automatics, liked it. As far as I know, all MK series have the elite trigger on them.

I had 1-2 failure to ejects using cheap range ammo during the breakin period. None since then (400 rounds later).

The weight is fine more me...I use a Qwikclip from crossbreed, wore at 1:30. This thing was MADE to doubletap onehanded in self defense. (one session early on I shot better one handed than two...)

Of course you couldn't go wrong with a glock or a sig, it really boils down to preference. But if you asking about the gun, you probably already are the time who prefers it...

If you are a movie buff, a Kahr (possibly the MK9) is appearing in Denzel washington's new movie, "The Taking of Pelham 123" (I blurted out to my dad in the movie preview, "that's my gun", getting some odd looks too [wasn't carrying at the time, permit ain't here yet]_

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I've had one for years:

Pros:
    -100% reliable as was my P9
    -Can shoot it comfortably all day long at the range due to the weight
    -has great wood grips available
    -very very accurate
    -outstanding smooth DAO trigger
    -Ultra concealable even with very thin cover garments like nice suits due to the shortened grip.
    -comfortable IWB carry
    -good for double taps; recoil is more than manageable due to weight

Cons:
    -Not a pocket gun; too heavy for that
    -Less capacity than my P9
    -Can only get the wood grips from Kahr or the oem hard grips, or crimson trace; very limited after market grips. K9 has a WONDERFUL softer grip but the MK9 has very hard black plastic
    -price; they aren't cheap

I added a stainless steel guide rod and grips and simply love mine. I think if you got the front strap checkered it would look good and give an extra bit of grip not that it's needed in the least.

I love how you can actually spend some time at the range shooting this despite the short grip. It does feel heavy for it's size but I think a part of that is because of how compact the package is.

It's a very good gun, BUT unless you really need the extra concealability, I'd recommend you step up to the K9 for....
    -extra round
    -FAR better grip
    -slightly longer sight picture

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Thanks Guys

My current carries are a Kimber Stainless Compact, Sig239/40, S&W 637 (daily in "the field"), and on "shirt tail in" days, a KT P3AT in the cowboy boot. I prefer IWB carry, don't mind the weight factor, and really want something a bit thinner than the others, plus I no longer have a single 9mm pistol left. I have a buddy with the CW9 and he loves it, but for some reason I just want to get away from the poly guns. I love the feel of cold steel ... don't like plastic knives either. I know the MK9 would be about twice the weight of my "former" KT PF9, but the width factor is almost identical, and the MK9 is actually smaller in all other dimensions, I think.

I have got to find a thinner carry gun soon because all my pants are shrinking. I have considered the Sig 239, but it's really not a huge change from the Kimber Compact (which is great anyway), and considered the Micro Desert Eagle. Both of these are supposedly in the quality range I'm looking for, but both are .380. For the size/weight consideration, I'd rather have a high quality 9mm to fill the hole in my rotation collection. Also, I have gotten lazy over the years and found that DA, or DA/SA is my preferred system. The Kahr should fill the bill.

Another consideration is cost and availability of ammunition. I can still find 9mm at (almost) reasonable prices, whereas .40 and .45 are somewhat limited. And .380....... I ration that stuff to 2 mags per range trip now.

Next question.... how is the Kahr warranty and customer service? I have never had to return a high end gun to the factory, and would guess that the MK9 would fall into the same category, but you never know.

Thanks again

surv

I purchased a new MK9 eliite about 2 months ago. During and after the 200 round break-in, I had a lot of FTE's. I sent it back to Kahr and they told me it would be 3 - 3 1/2 weeks for repair. It looked like the ejector pin was damaged. It was unreliable new out of the box, but I'm hopeful it will be reliable when I get it back. If not, I'm getting rid of it fast. I've heard that some of the Kahr's need some shop time, but tend to be reliable once Kahr gets them right.
    What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight; it's the size of the fight in the dog.

-Dwight Eisenhower

I have had one for years great gun get it if you want it.

I have (2) MK-9's and a K-9, all three have the elite trigger. I generally carry a MK-9 OWB with a pierce extension. I use the standard 6 round mag without the pierce extension for jean or coat pockets.

I have never experienced a feed problem or stove pipe. I have the best groups with heavy loads. I practice with Winchester 147gr JHP and carry Federal 135 gr Hydra-Shok JHP.

Member Array Invisible Swordsman's Avatar
    I have one and love it, but only carry it occasionally due to the weight. I can, and have, carried it in my pocket, but it's best in a belt holster. I usually pocket carry and airweight.

I can shoot the MK9 as well as, or better, than most of my other guns.

Mark

Links