Kahr PM45

Kahr PM45

This is a discussion on Kahr PM45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seeing that this is the smallest 45acp out there, wanted to hear some thoughts from owners or people who have shot one? How's it kick, ...

Thread: Kahr PM45

Kahr PM45

Seeing that this is the smallest 45acp out there, wanted to hear some thoughts from owners or people who have shot one? How's it kick, is it controllable, reliable? Seems like the perfect carry gun? Would also love to hear from people who also fired the PM9 and how the 2 compare? Seems like it is just a tad larger than the pm9, looks interesting.

I have a PM-45, and I like it very much. Recoil is OK with standard loads, but stout with hot Double Tap. Mine likes the 185gr Double Tap but not the 230gr Double Tap. It just does not feed well.

As for overall reliability, the 230gr Double Tap is the only load I've tried that it does not like. I've had success with several brands of 230gr FMJ, Remington and Winchester "cheapo" 230gr JHPs, and Double Tap 185gr GDHPs. About the first 100 had a failure to feed once every ten or so rounds. By round number 300, the only thing failing to feed was the Double Tap 230grs.

It's as accurate as my 4 inch XD-45. I can hit an 8 inch Shoot-N-See consistently as far as 25 yards. That's plenty good from a 3 inch pistol.

I did try a pocket holster for mine, but I just do not like pocket carry. I also tried to pocket carry a 13 ounce 38spl, and didn't like that ether. I still have the PM pocket holster, but it's just gathering dust... I'll never use it now.

It is not nearly as small as the PM 40 or PM 9. It's larger in all dimensions.

I did two mods to mine. First, I prefer an all black rear sight to the dot over bar thing. I took the white "bar" off of my rear sight. I'll likely swap out the front sight to a Tritium one day. I also did not care for the little finger rest on the bottom of the mag. I took it off with a Dremel sanding drum. I now have what amounts to a thick but flat basepad.

I typically carry in an inexpensive Galco IWB.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

And it's not the smallest semi auto 45acp. That's still the AMT Backup DAO. I had one of those, and it was a severe dissappointment. Some have had better luck than I did.

I think the PM is the lightest, however.
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Any pics?

I had one of those AMT's gawd it was difficult to shoot.

I have pocket carried both, and the PM45 is doable, but the PM9 is a much better choice for pocket. I can get away with the PM45 in my pocket more in the winter time as I usually just wear Carhartt carpenter pants and the front pockets are pretty roomy.

PM9, PM45

PM9, CW40, PM45. It doesn't appear that the the PM9 and the CW40 are the same width in this pick due to the angle, but they are.

Is that a pic of a PM9 vs PM45???

I have a PM45 and love it. Recoil in managleable. It was actaully a lot better then what I expected out of a little 45 like this one. I have had a faiulure to feed about every 50-75 rounds of WWB and winchester.I don't think it has had many rounds throught it. I did some tweaking to it and want to see how it shoots now. It shoots golden sabers just fine. I carry the gun in my front pocket. It's not great but not bad either. I have a UNCLE Mikes # 4 holster that I use. It prints a little bit but it could also pass for a larger wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    I had one of those AMT's gawd it was difficult to shoot.
    WORD! Not even as much as recoil, but just pulling the darn trigger. 17+ pounds!!! After a few mags, I HAD to switch hands.

I had such high hopes for mine. I had the DAO 380 "back in the day", and it ran fine. My 45 failed almost once per mag, even with ball ammo. and as close as 15 yards, hitting anyting was a chore. I spent time reading about folks who had good ones that shot well. mine, just did not.

The PM is light years ahead of the AMT I had.

Downsizer single shot .45acp is the smallest

I'll keep my PM45
    Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

VIP Member
    I been thinking about one of these .45's. I will have to check the range to see if they have one for rental to give it a try.

Sponsored Links