Taurus 38spcl Ultra-Light

This is a discussion on Taurus 38spcl Ultra-Light within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My S&W 500 decided it was lonely being my only wheel gun over the weekend so I brought home a Taurus Ultra-Light 38 Special to ...

My S&W 500 decided it was lonely being my only wheel gun over the weekend so I brought home a Taurus Ultra-Light 38 Special to join it. I haven't gotten around to trying to carry it, but was wondering if anyone had comments on it. I picked it up mainly for a range toy, but I guess on some occasions it could replace my 3PAT as a BUG.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

I got one for Christmas and have been happy with it. It is as accurate as I am, actually more accurate. I changed out the grips for some small thin ones akin to the old j-frame grips on the chief's specials. That was a mistake as the trigger guard now digs into my fingers, guess I should of got a tyler t grip. Going to replace it with the standard Taurus boot grip and call it good.

I'd say you'll like the little revolver, I like mine allot.

That's what I carry. I guess I've shot 3 or 4 hundred rounds through it & I have no complaints... no problems.
    It's got a pretty good kick to it being so light, but I like it!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Some are great guns some have some issues. Several we sold to customers have locked up (cylinder). Seems to have been fixed and corrected by a thorough cleaning (including removing grips and cleaning inside the action) and particularly a good cleaning of the back of the cylinder where the index notches are.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I expect it has a kick being so light. Have you used +P ammo on it? The dealer seemed to not be 100% sure on that fact. A number of the Taurus's said, "DO NOT USE +P" others specifically said, "38 spcl +P", but this one said neither.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    if it's not stamped +p, then it's probably not rated for +p.

most quality revos can handle a limited amount of +p, even if not stamped, but I don't know about Taurus

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I had one (Taurus .38 UltraLite) with bobbed hammer. Great little shooter. So easy to just carry in pocket.

Loaned to my daughter and someone broke into her car - stole it.

:(
    For God, Family and Country!

Taurus quality control is a maybe yes/maybe no proposition. That said, its a solid design and if you get a good one it won't give you any problems and will be a fine shooter.

I have a friend who carries one all the time. He carries +P and has shot some through it without issue. He generally practices with standard pressure ammunition.

We recently shot a IDPA BUG match. His 85UL preformed flawlessly, just as well as any other revolver there. I loaded up some light .38 Specials for us to use to avoid excessive wear on the lightweight alloy guns.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Is that the model 85? I had one a few years ago, until my wife discovered she would rather carry it. Great little gun, and ours is rated +P. We have three snubbys, two .38's and one .357. We carry them with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo in each caliber.

I would recommend you call Taurus if you have a question about +P rating. I've run across too many gun shop workers who know little about guns, but do know how to run a cash register and run a NICS check.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Is that the model 85? I had one a few years ago, until my wife discovered she would rather carry it. Great little gun, and ours is rated +P. We have three snubbys, two .38's and one .357. We carry them with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo in each caliber.

I would recommend you call Taurus if you have a question about +P rating. I've run across too many gun shop workers who know little about guns, but do know how to run a cash register and run a NICS check.
    I'll have to check if it was an 85. The place I went to usually knows how to run both a gun shop and a cash register; though the discount register works very often too. I guess I'll check out Taurus and see what they say about the +P for it.

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    My S&W 500 decided it was lonely being my only wheel gun over the weekend so I brought home a Taurus Ultra-Light 38 Special to join it. I haven't gotten around to trying to carry it, but was wondering if anyone had comments on it. I picked it up mainly for a range toy, but I guess on some occasions it could replace my 3PAT as a BUG.
    Well what I have found in almost four decades of shooting the 38 Special is.............

+P, and +P+ ammunition offer no real advantage in snub nose (1⅞-2˝" barrel) guns. W/+P ammunition you get a 50% (or more) increase in muzzle blast and recoil W/O any substantial increase in energy into the target/perp. W/+P ammunition in a snubby you have a far longer "Return to Battery"; that is recovery from recoil, sights back on target, hammer back to point of "break" on the sear. The sole exception to this would be the Speer® Short Barrel™ 135gr Gold Dot™ Hollow Point; a load SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPED for snub nose guns. (That doesn't mean you should use it in a standard pressure gun however!) ALL 38 Special revolvers are sighted to POA w/158gr bullets. Considering that fact, and, that you have a standard pressure gun, I would recommend THIS. That is the load I carry and use in by 38 Special snubby. Another alternative, previously mentioned, is THIS ALSO. My wife uses this load in her 38 Special.

I realize that what I've stated DOES NOT MATCH CONVENTIONAL WISDOM. If you will try these two loads however, I am confident you will be VERY PLEASED!

I really like my or my wife likes her Taurus Ultra-Light 38 Special 19 oz in weight, the sheet that came with ours stated that you can shoot +P but full metal jacket ...
    For target shooting we use Winchester 130 gr full metal jacket Target/Range paper punchers (Cheap) and for home on my wife side of bed of we keep Hornady 125 gr XTP in it ... my side of the bed I keep my 1911 45 and the CZ 82 is in my car ...

Links