Kahr PM9 Issue

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kahr PM9 that I'm having an issue with. About once every 100 rounds it will lock the slide open with rounds in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 Issue

Kahr PM9 Issue

I have a Kahr PM9 that I'm having an issue with. About once every 100 rounds it will lock the slide open with rounds in the magazine. Kahr sent me a new slide stop but says I could be "limp-wristing" the gun (they didn't use those words). The issue is that all three times this has happened I was shooting two-handed, while I haven't had any issues while shooting one-handed (which I do a lot less I admit). I have noticed that the slide stop lever "catch" (the part that hits the mag follower" passes VERY close to the rounds coming up the magazine. Could this be causing the issue? I would think it would happen a lot more often if this was the problem. What else should I be looking at? Could my thumb be hitting the stop and I not know it?

All the problems have been with 115 gr. FMJ (hardball) ammo - twice with Blazer Brass and once with Atlanta Arms and Ammunition FMJ (range ammo). I've shot a little Speer Gold Dot 115 ammo with no problems. The gun has about 325-350 rounds through it on two different magazines (6rnd flush and 7rnd extended) and has done this once on the 6 rnd and twice on the 7 rnd. No other malfunctions have been noted - no FTF or FTEs.

This little gun is amazingly accurate but I need to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Remove Ads

Is it possible you are riding thumbs high and catching the slide stop with your thumbs during recoil???
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Is it possible you are riding thumbs high and catching the slide stop with your thumbs during recoil???
    That is one possibility. It typically happens well into a shooting session so it could be fatigue. I'm open to all possible causes to investigate.

The 1 in 100 is what is messing with me. Makes it a bear to troubleshoot.

Ask them for a stronger recoil spring. I could get mine to FTF the top round when runniing 6+1 or 7+1. After a few trips back to Mama Kahr, they finally had it fixed...

Yes contact Kahr and please keep us posted on your progress. I have been seriously thinking about getting one.
    God bless our troops!

I have a Kahr PM9 that has worked fine for me, but I have noticed that the small frame size requires special attention to the proper grip, particularly to avoid interacting with the slide stop. I think the fact that you have experienced this problem only when shooting with a two hand grip and never with a one hand grip makes this explanation more plausible. I guess it could be the spring, but my PM9 has the tightest springs of every gun I own by far.

Quote Originally Posted by czydj View Post
    Ask them for a stronger recoil spring....
    Mine did the same thing after a couple of years of use. I bought some of those amazing Wolff +5 magazine springs for the Kahr. Problem solved.

Correctly gripping the PM9 is important from my personal experience. But my FTF off the magazine was clearly caused by weak mag springs. I could actually see the cause of the problem by just simply manually stripping the magazine of each round. By pushing the top round off with my thumb the next round was still pointed nose down in the mag. This lead to a failure to feed the first round off a the magazine. I know this is not a conclusive test but the new Wolff springs resolved this problem. I had the same issue/solution for my 3 year old XD45 as well.
    "To win at warfare you must kill the enemy", Clausewitz

I'll throw this in here ... probably doesn't apply to you ...

ONLY use genuine Kahr mags. Save yourself a lot of disappointment by staying away from the imitations.

Try a "thumbs down" position.

If that fixes the problem then you have your answer. If not, make sure you have the Kahr properly lubricated. I have found that Kahrs like their oil, and quite a bit of it I might add.

I hope that helps.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Try a "thumbs down" position.

If that fixes the problem then you have your answer. If not, make sure you have the Kahr properly lubricated. I have found that Kahrs like their oil, and quite a bit of it I might add.

I hope that helps.

Biker
    Thanks for your help.

I try to do that but, in a 100-round shooting session (plus 50 more with the .22) I'm sure I forget sometimes. Kahr sent me a new slide stop but I got it mixed up with the original and now I can't tell which is which (stupid, I know). I know which one was in the gun last time so I'll just put the other one in next time.

When I consciously tuck my thumbs this doesn't happen.

As far as the oil, I lube it up pretty well but I don't think that's the issue simply because the slide stop is being pushed up. It's not a "jam" per se or what I would consider a FTF. Could be though - I'll pay special attention next time I oil it.

Quote Originally Posted by czydj View Post
    Ask them for a stronger recoil spring. I could get mine to FTF the top round when runniing 6+1 or 7+1. After a few trips back to Mama Kahr, they finally had it fixed...
    I've "topped up" the mag a couple of times after chambering and had no problems. Haven't done it much though and only did it with Hardball.

That would be a good way to get some use out of an extra/unreliable mag. Load it up, put it in, chamber a round and change to your carry mag.

Administrator
    My bet is your thumbs. I do the same thing if I havent worked with my PM9 for a while.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My guess is your thumbs.

The only reason I mentioned the lubrication is because some people are not aware of how "wet" a Kahr likes to run.

Biker

Thought this might help.

PM9_Lube.JPG
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I have a Kahr PM9 that had a similar problem. I was using WWB FMJ. With your slide stop open, insert a full magazine slowly and watch to see if the first round glances past the slide stop. I found that the round was gently touching the slide stop as I inserted the mag. This means that every round feeding out of the magazine would be touching the slide stop. This in combination with a weak slide stop spring was causing my problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links