Glock NY Trigger Modification

This is a discussion on Glock NY Trigger Modification within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i would like to know if anyone has installed the NY Trigger on their glock? And if so, how do you like compared to the ...

i would like to know if anyone has installed the NY Trigger on their glock? And if so, how do you like compared to the stock trigger pull?

Had to have the NY+ trigger on both Glocks as a requirement. Once I retired had stock 5.5lb installed. The NY+ was designed to give the 12lb or so DA "feel" associated with the S&W revolvers we were transitioning from. The regular NY trigger is probably about 10lbs,but don't quote me.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member
    IIRC NY trigger is 8.5 lbs.

Honestly, unless you have a serious concern about unauthorized access to your Glock (ie uneducated childeren, idiot cousin) I wouldn't worry about it. Stick with the stock spring. Practice drawing from holster and trigger control yourself and the "jerk the trigger as you draw" problem is resolved.

I know that does not actually answer your question, but in my mind the NY trigger is just a lawyer mandated issue. JMO
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I just did the $.25 trigger job on my G27 and shot this last weekend. It was easy to do and felt really nice compared to stock 5.5lb. I know this also doesnt answer your specific question either. Just my .02 and an easy way to get a good feel out of your stock trigger.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Had my Glock33 reworked years ago to 2.5lb pull.

I like it much better than standard
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

I have NY1 triggers in all my Glocks took a cue from Mas Ayoob and like him I find I shoot better with them. I think the actual weight is around 71/2 lbs and being an old sixgun shooter I like the way the NY1 trigger feels.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    i would like to know if anyone has installed the NY Trigger on their glock? And if so, how do you like compared to the stock trigger pull?
    I have a NY-1 in both my Glocks. G23 EDC and G35 HD and range use. I haven't checked my 35 yet but after doing the 25 cent polish job my trigger pull in the 23 is a little over 6 pounds. The reason is I also added a Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector.

My main reason for the NY spring is the stock trigger has a lot of slack until you get close to the break. Then it builds up quickly. With the NY-1 & 3.5 connector combo I have a nice even pull all the way thru the break. It also gives me a much more crisp reset. It really helped me with rapid fire practice.

Some people like the slack and build up to break ie. stock trigger. The beauty of a Glock is you can always change it back if you don't like it. Plus the NY spring is only a few dollars.

This is a good summary by Ayoob.....

The real story Glock trigger pull weights: Glock critics say its trigger pull is too light. It may be that they've been weighing it wrong. (01-NOV-04) Guns Magazine

COPYRIGHT 2004 Publishers' Development Corporation

My friend and fellow instructor Dave Maglio is a Glock fan. His department issues him something else to wear in uniform, but he almost always has a privately owned Glock for off-duty carry. When he became the 17th IDPA Four-Gun Master, he did it with a Glock 17 9mm in Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol class, and a .45 caliber Glock 21 in Custom Defense Pistol against the short trigger pull 1911 autos. "Hell," he said, "I would have used a Glock instead of a Ruger GP-100 for Stock Service Revolver if Glock made a wheel gun."

One of Dave's pet peeves is people who complain that the Glock trigger pull is too light. It comes out of the box with a nominal five-pound pull. This upsets some folks who think of that in terms of double action revolvers and autos with pull weights in the 12- and 14-pound range. "People are missing the reality," says Dave. "Think in terms of human engineering. The Glock trigger-pull weights are apparently taken at the tip of the trigger. It's a pivoting trigger design, so the leverage is greater there, and the pull-weight seems less."

He explains, "Look at how people actually shoot Glocks. Their index finger is on the middle of the trigger, where the safely lever is, not at the toe. The middle of the trigger is where we should be taking the measurement. It weighs out heavier there."

I proposed an experiment. Dave broke out his Glock armorer's kit and a trigger-pull gauge, and I unloaded the Black Hills 165-grain EXP .40 S&W ammo from the Glock 22 I was carrying. He then installed every reasonable combination we could think of, and weighed the triggers with each at the toe, and again at the center of the trigger.

Three Gets You Five

Glock sells the 3.5-pound connector only with the 6-inch barreled longslide target pistols and in the Tactical/Practical series with 5.3-inch barrels. These are respectively the Glock 17L and 34 in 9mm Luger and the G24 and G35 in .40 S&W. There is a long history of Glock factory literature adamantly stating that these trigger pulls are for competition, not duty or defensive carry. Every American police department that I know of which has adopted the G34 or G35 for issue has fielded it with a heavier trigger pull.

Measured at the toe of the trigger, the nominal 3.5-pound connector with standard trigger spring actually weighed three pounds, 3.7 ounces. Measured at the center of the trigger, however, it tripped at five pounds, 1.3 ounces.

Some Glock aficionados think the trick set-up is the 3.5-pound connector with the New York Trigger (NY-1) module replacing the standard S-shaped trigger spring. This gives a firm resistance from the beginning of the pull. The real, often unrecognized benefit of the NY Trigger is a smooth, easy pull that is generally estimated at a bit over five pounds. In fact, it measured six pounds 0.5 ounces at the toe of the trigger, and eight pounds even at the center. This system is reportedly standard with a Midwestern state police department that issues Glocks.

The Five-Pound Connection

The five-pound connector mated with the standard trigger spring is what comes out of the box when a private citizen buys most models of Glocks. It is said to have an average pull of 5.5 pounds. In measuring this combo on my G22, Dave got four pounds, 1.5 ounces when the gauge was hooked to the toe of the trigger, and six pounds on the nose when he attached it to the center of the trigger.

Then the threw in the NY-1 module, which is what I had in the gun to start with along with the nominally five-pound connector. It went six pounds, 1.1 ounces at the toe, seven pounds 1.5 ounces from the center. This combo is normally expected to bring pull weight up to eight pounds or so. However, I've shot this gnu a lot and worn it in well.

With the NY-2, or New York Plus module in place, which is said to deliver a pull of close to 12 pounds, we got eight pounds 1.1 ounces at the toe and 10 pounds even measuring from the center of the trigger. Finally, with the so-called "Miami trigger"--an eight-pound connector and the standard spring--the pull measured six pounds six ounces at the toe and 10 pounds even at the center.

The bottom line? As with all pistols, individual Glock pulls may weigh more or less than specified, or anywhere within the specified range. The pulls are indeed heavier at the center-where most of us actually put our finger-than at the tip. It was an interesting experiment, but I'll still keep the NY-1 module with five-pound connector in all the several Glocks I own for self-defense.

Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

I have always felt that the NY trigger was for tense situations so you would have to make a concious effort to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    I have always felt that the NY trigger was for tense situations so you would have to make a concious effort to pull the trigger.
    I always have to make a conscious decision to pull the trigger. I make the decision and then put my finger on the trigger and pull. If I don't want to shoot, my finger stays off the trigger. What benefit would the NY1 be for me in that area? I don't see any.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I always have to make a conscious decision to pull the trigger. I make the decision and then put my finger on the trigger and pull. If I don't want to shoot, my finger stays off the trigger. What benefit would the NY1 be for me in that area? I don't see any.
    What he said...

I prefer to leave my Glocks as they came in the box, except for night sights, of course.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Personally, I don't see the benefit of simply having a heavier trigger. The 3#+NY1 is great, though; the weight is about the same as stock, but it is consistent across the entire pull. The stock ones can be too heavy right at the end before the break, especially once the gun has been worn in a bit.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I installed 3.5-pound connectors, and the NY-1 trigger modules. This produces a pull weight the same as a stock Glock, but the weight is more consistent through the pull, there is less annoying SPROING when and after the striker falls, and detail cleaning is easier, as the NY-1 models drops right into place, instead of the little trigger return spring having to be carefully re-hooked at both ends. What's not to like about it? Being an old sixgunner, I could have handled the pull if I did not have a 3.5# connector in place to counter the NY-1, but as the parts were all stock, this mod squeaked by my employer's rules regarding weapon mods, so I took advantage.

To be clear, the 3.5# connector does drop the pull weight down, but the NY-1 module gets it back up, and the effect is a trigger stroke I much preferred to the 3.5# connector and stock trigger return spring.

I got away from Glocks because a P229 fits my hand better, and I just shoot the P229 better.
    Last edited by Rexster; June 11th, 2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typos, clarification

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    It was on the Glock 22 I bought when they first hit the market. I had it removed (I could do it myself, now) at the first opportunity. It so negatively affected my ability to fire the gun accurately, that I believe that the danger of missing my intended target far outweighed the possibility of a negligent discharge when a proper holster and responsible trigger discipline were used.

My personal opinion is that if you think you need the NY Trigger, you need to consider a different firearm. It's a response to inadequate training, especially in trigger discipline.

A while back, I installed the NY-1 and 3.5# connector in one of mine just to try it out (since I've heard of so many people trying it).
    I really don't notice a significant difference in the way it feels...maybe a little smoother pull with a slightly "crisper" reset, but not much.

I don't personally see the need to have a trigger pull any heavier than the stock setup so if someone decides to install this spring, I'd add the 3.5# connector to maintain the stock weight.
    Really, the only real reason I can personally see to go with a NY-1 is to eliminate the chance of the return-spring breaking.

just my $0.02
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Links