Need help on my first 1911 - Page 3

Need help on my first 1911

This is a discussion on Need help on my first 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so what is an MIM part?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    OK, so what is an MIM part?
    Hoss
    "from my cold, dead hands!"

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    metal injection, not as strong as forged

Assistant Administrator
    Yep as Bruce says ''MetalInjection Moulding'' - there is tho some difference in opinion on MIM vs forged.

If MIM works 100% then it can IMO be good - and so very useful. However, bit like with Tungsten Carbide, where a powder/wax mix is compressed under high pressure and then sintered - there is the possibility for an imperfect mix, and so inclusions can occur.

Might been gas/air bubble, or an impurity - either way there can be an integral weakness which forged will not have. Plus - forged does confer greater strength by virtue of grain flow - which if the right direction serves to strengthen the piece.

All is down of course to economy - saving a few cents!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OD*
    Bruce,
    I will start the Hail John's post haste.

I don't believe MIM will ever work well for extractors.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Well, I sent a message to Kimber from their website asking about the Tactical Custom II and the extractor. Here is the exact response I got:

Michael,
    Thank you for your question. At this point in time the Tactical Custom II has an internal extractor. It is an excellent pistol and is extremely reliable and accurate.
    If you have any further questions please let me know and I will be glad to help you.
    Thank you and best regards,

Carl Flesch

Technical Representative

1-(888)-243-4522 Ext 223

cflesch@kimberamerica.com

So right now, with the Kimber having an internal extractor, it seems to be ahead in the running. There is a dealer here I talked to that is offering it for $940. Anyone else know any dealers in the DFW area that can beat that? I am still doing research but getting close to purchasing. Thanks.
    Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    Oh boy, we are never going to let you live this one down OD This is going to be for you what the S&S is for Chris
    Well, maybe if you go and say 250 hail JMB's, detail strip and reassemble everyone of your 1911's and show them the love they deserve.

Oh, I think we can let him slide on the hail JMBs ... provided we each get a case of carry ammo that is. Make mine 230gr. Golden Saber or Speer Gold Dot.
    Jack

Ohhhhhhhhh........Kimbers are good..........The CDP is nice <I have one> Also........the Colts are good choices........the Springfield guns are good too.....also Caspian, and STI guns are good.....don't underestimate the NORINCO 1911s as they're sleepers Yeah Chinese Colt copies. but they do have a following............Wilson, Baers, Nighthawks are great choices too..yet the latter WILL run you big bucks..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Well I finally made my decision. I went with the Kimber Tactical Custom II. Got it from Sporting Arms. I went to pick it up yesterday but the only one they had was the external extractor model. So they are ordering the internal extractor model and it will be here in about 2 weeks.

Have a question about mags. I ordered 3 Wilson Combat 47DCB (low profile) mags with the pistol. Some have mentioned I might have problems seating the mags with the mag well on the Kimber. Has anyone experienced this? If so please let me know so I can change the order. Thanks for all the help!
    Hoss

WTG Hoss! You should be fine with that set up. Perhaps the mag seating problems mentioned are referring to the low profile baseplates? Just guessing but that's all I can come up with, especially if that Kimber model has an extended magwell. If it does then yes, you might have problems seating the flush fit mags. I use Wilson std. 47Ds with the .350 baseplate and have never had a problem.

The baseplates are generally only useful during a reload and serve no purpose other than giving you a little extra length to shove against and make sure they're seated. My preferred set up is: flush fit primary mag (to reduce printing) and extended baseplates on the spare(s). Hope this helps. BE SURE TO POST PICS WHEN THE GIRL COMES HOME!
    Jack

Had a few 1911s. I'm now wanting to get the Taurus 1911 What i've heard it will be released the end of May. I've read nothing but good about the Taurus 1911 and it will be priced right. You can read a review here
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...05/index1.html

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm wondering if Taurus will come out with a 4" officer's model in within a year? I sure hope so!

Still waiting to see there first models of the 1911

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links