Need help on my first 1911

This is a discussion on Need help on my first 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got laid off (with severance) and found a new job quickly so I got to bank some money. As a present for myself ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help on my first 1911

Need help on my first 1911

I recently got laid off (with severance) and found a new job quickly so I got to bank some money. As a present for myself (which the wife agrees with ) I have decided to purchase my first 1911 style firearm. I currently carry a Glock G30 (.45) and my wife carries a Glock G26 (9mm), and we have a Glock G21 for the house. I purchased these guns because they are simple to operate and require little effort to operate (which is ideal in my opinion for a carry weapon if you have limited training). However, I do have the time now to devote to a little more training and my brother in law (SWAT in Oregon) has discussed in detail 1911s. He also advocates the brand I am looking at, Kimber. I looked over their standard inventory and seemed to gravitate to the Tactical Custom II in .45ACP. It is light and dependable (in case I decide on it for concealed carry in the future), high quality and pretty much bada$$! But, since this is my first 1911 I thought I would ask the experts here to chime in and maybe give me some pointers and direction, as well as comment on my weapon selection. Thanks!
    Hoss
    "from my cold, dead hands!"

2. Remove Ads

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Personaly I would suggest something with a prancing pony on it, but If you are set on a Kimber, Get a CDP. Some say stay away from the external extractor, some say they are fine, I have no expirences with Kimber so I can't help out much in that arguement.

I'm assuming you want a full size correct? The SA TRP is a very nice piece, and compares with the Kimber Tactical II, As Does the Colt Special Combat Government(except for the adj sights), also look at Rock Rivers selection, Les Bear's, Wilson Combats. Just remember you get what ya pay for in the world of 1911's. You can get a super trick totaly reliable custom for $1700 or less.

My advice is read what Bruce posted --- several times. He's right. I deal with a lot of 1911s and you definitely get what you pay for.
    I've not owned a Kimber but they are furiously saying nothing about a running change back to the internal extractor. So, since they're not doing what they're not saying -- I'd wait and get an internal extractor Kimber.
    While I like Springfields a lot and really want an Ed Brown, all my 1911s say Colt on them - just because it feels right. No logic. But, I think Colts do hold very good resale, if that is a consideration.
    It is quite a change from a Glock to a 1911 (I had two G26s and would very much like to pick up a G19 - a girl here at work got one last week but she's tougher than me and I couldn't get it away from her) - I think if you enjoy different firearm platforms and learning about them, you'll like learning the 1911.

I fired a Commander length Kimber during my last visit to the range and was very impressed. Most of my experience though is with Colt and Springfield. Overall I'd say you'll probably be fine with any of those three companies, though everyone has the rare lemon slip through. There are also some VERY nice semi customs on the market: Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, NightHawk and Les Baer (depending on how much you want to spend).

Whichever you decide on, be prepared to buy good magazines: Wilson-Rogers #47 (7 round) or #47D (8 round), Chip McCormick Shooting Stars or PowerMags (7 or 8 round) are all good. Wilson's use nylon/polymer followers where CMC uses steel so the Wilson's may be the best choice if you're considering a lightweight alloy frame.

For a first 1911 I'd recommend a fullsize (5") but considering your prior experience with Glocks you might well prefer a 4" model - they do balance a bit differently but might be easier for future CCW. Use a bit of caution if you choose smaller than 4" as it can sometimes be a crapshoot, some folks have great luck with their's but personally I haven't ... I won't generally consider anything less than 4" models now.

Probably not too much help but there are several of us 1911 fans on here so I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback shortly . Good luck!
    Jack

All the above advice is right on.... In my opinion i wouldnt look at a Kimber due to the company not admitting it has a problem as it currently is changing its design back to the original. If they company wont admit to a problem that could get you killed .. do you want to buy a weapom from em???

I would look at any of the big 1991 companies, Colt Springfield, Wilson,

Try a bunch & see what works best for ya..

I love my Stainless Springer in 9mm. It has never failed to go bang & has never had a FTF or FTE. JUst keeps working even when i run 400 rounds thru it in a day.

Just my 1/2 cent
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

I would like to stay under ~$1000. Also, forgive my ignorance but which brand is the prancing pony?
    Hoss

Colt has the "Prancing Pony" stamped on back left corner of the slide, just above the thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss
    forgive my ignorance but which brand is the prancing pony?
    Colt. No forgiveness required - that's what we're all here for.

KC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss
    Also, forgive my ignorance but which brand is the prancing pony?
    Here is one example of the "Prancing Pony."
    Attached Images
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I would like to stay under ~$1000. Also, forgive my ignorance but which brand is the prancing pony?
    Hoss, I'm sure some of the members here who work in gunshops can find you a good deal or steer you in the proper direction. I'll leave Bruce to explain the "Prancing Pony" My first 1911 (actually 1991A1) was/is a SS Colt Commander, then I got a deal on a Kimber Custom CDP II, and one day while waiting on range time a OD green Para-Ord TAC Four LDA (not truly a 1911) started calling my name from it's display counter. I love 'em all. But the Colt is my sentimental favorite. I'm with Bruce, get a Colt in Commander size or full size in .45 ACP and you'll not be sorry. I'm sure you can find one under a $K. Then after the love affair with the 1911 platform starts you can start to acquire different brands.
    Pershing SIR!!

Thanks for all the help guys! You are truly a good resource! I just started this process so now the in-depth research and reading begins, along with some more questions. I will let you know what I choose. Thanks!

P.S. Any of you guys that work in gun shops in the Dallas area? It would be nice to get some real world prices. Thanks!
    Hoss

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Under a G you say huh, well I bought my XSE commander a short time ago, had the gun shop order it for me and gave $873 out the door for it. I love that pistol and recomend it to anyone. It did need a dehorn job, but that was no problem, just 2 hours worth of time, and now she's perfect (if you do a search I posted a bunch of pics of what I did to it). http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=6213 page #4 has the pics of what I did.
    What are you planning on doing with this 1911? CC?, target?, shooting matches?, CC and shooting matches and traget?

VIP Member
    I would also get a Colt
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Well I am a KImber fan, and don't believe in "extractor-gate". Kimber did say that they are returning to the internal extractor and the new line up proves that. Kimbers are rock solid, top quaility pistols. For me they are #1, with Colt #2, and SA #3. This does not take into account wilson's, brown's and other built customs. just over the counter stuff so to speak
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I'll fall in-line with SnowDoctor. I own the Kimper Eclipse Pro II....it's a 4inch with the external extractor. I love the gun, but had initial problems with some jams.....Kimber fixed that in a jiffy. Last year the extractor broke while at the range with Bumper. Again, Kimber was quick to fix and return. I will say that they are very very timely with customer service. I still swap between it and my Nighthawk Predator as carry pistols and don't hesitate at all with the Kimber. It is very accurate.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links