Ruger GP100 3" anyone?

Ruger GP100 3" anyone?

This is a discussion on Ruger GP100 3" anyone? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at one these today and I really like how it balanced in my hand compared to the 4" model. What do you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 3" anyone?

Ruger GP100 3" anyone?

I was looking at one these today and I really like how it balanced in my hand compared to the 4" model. What do you guys think of this gun for a house/range gun?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I was looking at one these today and I really like how it balanced in my hand compared to the 4" model. What do you guys think of this gun for a house/range gun?
    I have one and it is my preferred defensive carry revolver at this point in time. I just switched over to single action autoloaders for defensive carry off duty this year and was carrying a 3" GP100 the previous year.

For a Home Defense/Range gun you will do better with the adjustable sights, which I believe relegates you to the 4" or longer versions. If you are looking for a "carry gun" the 3" would be my choice. For range and home use though I'd have to give the nod to the 4" gun.

Biker

The 3" GP100s have seemed to be rather hard to find in my locale. I too like them but settled on a 2.25" SP101 as a companion to my 4" GP100.

VIP Member
    I have a 3" and Love it, it is great to shoot at the range and You can shoot .38's out of it as well. Good home gun as well, load Her up with the .357's when You are sleeping.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I would not trade mine for anything. Absolutely love it. They are getting difficult to find, though.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Some folks definitely prefer the balance of the larger-framed 3"-barreled sixguns, and the GP100 is an excellent sixgun, in any length. My 3" GP is actually a rare variant with adjustable sights. I will try to see if the pic I have stored in my laptop will post, but I doubt it.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Hey, it worked! Most of my files are too large, or there is another problem. This photo is by the dealer, Collectors Firearms in Houston, and is the actual sixgun I bought from them, as pre-owned but in truly excellent condition. I paid a "collector" price for it, for sure, but that is the nature of this dealer; they will have stuff NOBODY else will have, and price it accordingly. Their common stuff can be quite reasonable.

I do have a fixed-sight GP, too, but it is in the 4" length. One thing good about the 3" length is that an assailant has less leverage if he grabs your gun's barrel, and folks, a fight is a fight, gun involved or not, and inside a home, a bad guy can reach you QUICKLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Some folks definitely prefer the balance of the larger-framed 3"-barreled sixguns, and the GP100 is an excellent sixgun, in any length. My 3" GP is actually a rare variant with adjustable sights. I will try to see if the pic I have stored in my laptop will post, but I doubt it.
    I've never seen one with adjustable sights. Rare indeed.

aji
    Have owned a 3" GP-100 for a few years. Built like a tank and is my carry piece when I want to carry a revolver. Don't use it much for home defense. Have a 4" for that.

Have one, but have not shot it yet it looks well made.

3 inch GP100 is one mighty fine revolver. Gemini customs made this ultimate weapon for me...

It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

VIP Member
    dawgfvr
    That is one sweet revolver. Here is mine 3" not the best picture.
    Attached Images

Like dawgfvr, I sent mine to Marc Morganti of Gemini Customs and he literally made a silk purse from a sows ear!!! This is one of the best balanced revolvers I have ever shot and owned.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I have both a 3 and 4 inch fixed GP100. I use the 3 inch for hiking/woods carry mostly.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    SAF, CCRKBA Member

Yes sir. I was dead set on the 4". Went to the shop and they had a 3" and 6" in stock. I liked the smaller grip of the 3" and the first thing that popped in my head was "man, I could carry this thing." I decided to wait and order the 4". I left, came back the next day and bought the 3". Some days I think I should have bought the 4", but not very often!

Pictured with a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake that can be worn strong side, vertical strong side or crossdraw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links