I am tired of carrying a heavy gun

This is a discussion on I am tired of carrying a heavy gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 26. Not a terribly heavy gun, but for my puny size, it is huge. I am old and decrepit and have ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am tired of carrying a heavy gun

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I am tired of carrying a heavy gun

I carry a Glock 26. Not a terribly heavy gun, but for my puny size, it is huge. I am old and decrepit and have a bad back. I ache when I carry it (and the extra mag) all day.

I bought an LCP and am seriously, seriously considering just carrying that with an extra mag. That would substantially reduce my payload and hopefully help my back.

OK. Just had to vent for a bit. This is a lot harder than it looks in the movies. So as soon as I find a IWB holster for my LCP, I am going to experiment.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Have you looked at a Kel-Tec PF-9, it's only a tiny bit bigger than the P3AT/LCP. Recoil can't be that much worse than an LCP.

You should alternate your method of carry.
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

Try carrying it differently, or, as has been suggested, get the PF-9 instead of carrying the LCP. .380 "mouse guns" leave much to be desired when the SHTF.

How about a J frame or one of the new Ruger LCR's.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Have you looked at a Kel-Tec PF-9, it's only a tiny bit bigger than the P3AT/LCP. Recoil can't be that much worse than an LCP.

I have both of these and the PF-9 is easy to carry/hide IWB Cross Breed Supertuck. Yes it kicks a bit. I think the P3AT kicks more for it's size, hold on to it may take off on You. See if You can rent and shoot both.

I have a heavy G27 and this is how I lightened up...

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member
    Don't do it!!!!!! -----cause you won't go back (ok, maybe on special occasions.)

P-3at most every day except when going to higher risk areas.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I have both the G26 and the PF9 and they are both about the same size but the PF 9 is lighter and thiner and I do not think the PF9 is
    a true pocket gun ,so if thats what your after then you should go
    with the P3AT.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Two Guns makes some valid points regarding revolvers. I have an old charter house made in the early 70's in 44 spl it weighs 21 oz empty.I bet loaded it's a wisker over two pounds .Ithink it came in at 34 oz with five 240 grain winchester
    self defense rounds in the cylinder.I've also seen a few guys carry in addition to their carry piece those small 22 cal revolvers that can be switched into 22 mag.I'd
    throw one in my pocket as a back up as I'm nit as good as the Mossed yet.Still practicing though.On the semi auto side I am very comfortable with a glock 26
    using glock 17 magazines with a magazine extension.It works real well for me and
    makes the 26 the same size as the glock 19.Many of you will say why didn't you buy a glock 19?I prefer the glock 17 because it's just a little bit bigger and offers a better site picture for me.My next glock will be the glock 34 as it even longer than the 17.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I would not hesitate to carry the LCP. It is light, small, and easily concealed.
    I often carry a KT P3AT because it is handy. I carry it under a shirt with the tail out in a Fobus holster. It is not much larger than my cell. I prefer the OWB, but find it is the one gun I can carry in my pocket.

You already have a LCP, and if you do not have a light J frame I would not buy one unless I found I did not like the LCP. The LCP with the extra mag gives you more firepower than a 5 shot revolver. I have a 642 in addition to my P3AT, but carry the P3AT much more often.

I doubt that it will be hard to find a holster for your LCP.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post

I carry a Glock 26. Not a terribly heavy gun, but for my puny size, it is huge. I am old and decrepit and have a bad back. I ache when I carry it (and the extra mag) all day.

I bought an LCP and am seriously, seriously considering just carrying that with an extra mag. That would substantially reduce my payload and hopefully help my back.

OK. Just had to vent for a bit. This is a lot harder than it looks in the movies. So as soon as I find a IWB holster for my LCP, I am going to experiment.
    I know what you mean,I carry a G27 40 cal.10 rounds in the gun,spare G22 mag with sleave,holds 15 rounds 40cal.I carry it around all day in my crotch, in a smart carry rig while working outside all day in the heat,riding my 0 turn mower,for my Lawn Care Service,I switch up sometimes with a Side Gaurd Double Snap Holster by Erick,I love leather holsters,but the Smart Carry way,is better on my bad back than Carrying The gun in a IWB holster strong side and A spare 15 round mag on weak side belt.The Glock doesent mind alittle Crotch Pot Cooking,in my pants....sweat wise...lol,just seems the weight is better distribited that way.I wear Cargo shorts while working,with a tank top shirt.I can take my shirt off,and you cant see any gun,with the smart carry.

Well it sucks, and the more powerful gun is always nice, but I've desided comfort is an equal consideration as firepower (depending on where you will be).

Most of the time, if I go lite, but I'll be driviing, in addition to the light carry, I bring along an easy access car gun (not sure if this is legal everywhere, but in MI, you can with CCW).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Clint Smith's saying, "Guns should be comforting not comfortable" keeps running through my head.

All guns are too big and heavy to carry until you really need one and are in the act of shooting in a self defensive situation. Since I shoot the bigger and heavier guns better than their smaller cousins I opt to carry the big one with a smaller cousin as a BUG or two.

I don't carry a gun as a talisman, but rather as a tool. I want the best tool I can afford, and use effectively. That means the bigger gun in most cases for me. You may be different, I don't know.

Part of your "issue" may be how you are attempting to conceal and carry the larger gun. If I've said it once I've said it a 100 times, good gear helps to hide big guns. It also helps you to carry them in more comfort.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I have a heavy G27 and this is how I lightened up...

or a pf9
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links