Extra Mags vs Extra Capacity

This is a discussion on Extra Mags vs Extra Capacity within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; never mind......

View Poll Results: Xtra Mags vs Xtra Capacity

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extra Mags

117 56.25%
  • Extra Capacity

91 43.75%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extra Mags vs Extra Capacity

never mind...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    Personally I think these high capacity rd pistols should be implemented for LE armed forces only! There are very few sit reps that qualify the need for civilians to be quick stepping around with a 30 rd glock maybe in his mind he's rationalizing he's Rambo's cousin about to save every last person in the next mall incident but really, in majority of cases sSD scenerios usually are with in a few feet and after just a few shots its all over! Yes there's always the chance you'll need more but like I said it's very small chance that training with a mag should cover and be ample enough.You keep on trying to keep up with the next guy and we'll all have to carry 100 drums for crying out loud,I think it's getting rediculous myself
    There are many what ifs in life. No matter how many hours we put into training and no matter how often we shoot, we will never be 100% prepared for every situation that may present itself. Your opinion is your own and I respect it, though I do not agree with it. Most of the time the armed citizen who pulls a gun on a potential threat never has to fire a shot in self defense, so I don't think it really matters how many rounds you carry. I choose to carry 46 rounds of 9mm because there is no law saying I am limited on the rounds I can carry, and the state I live in does not have a magazine round limit.

If you feel comfortable with a 5 shot revolver, 7 or 8 shot 1911 with no spare mag, then that is your choice to make. I choose to carry 46 rounds of 9mm hollowpoints.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    I EDC a Sig P220 with 8+1, and a spare mag or two. I prefer the .45acp, and am thus somewhat limited on capacity. However the biggest reason I carry spare mags is for malfunction, not extra rounds.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    Personally I think these high capacity rd pistols should be implemented for LE armed forces only! There are very few sit reps that qualify the need for civilians to be quick stepping around with a 30 rd glock maybe in his mind he's rationalizing he's Rambo's cousin about to save every last person in the next mall incident but really, in majority of cases sSD scenerios usually are with in a few feet and after just a few shots its all over! Yes there's always the chance you'll need more but like I said it's very small chance that training with a mag should cover and be ample enough.You keep on trying to keep up with the next guy and we'll all have to carry 100 drums for crying out loud,I think it's getting rediculous myself
    As mentioned, it can be a good idea to carry an extra mag in case of malfunction. Ever look at a mag closely? They seem to me to be the biggest potential weak link in a mechanical system. A simple spring with a metal plate. Dirt, debris, damage, accidental drop under stress..

If you're comfortable with less capacity, go for it. I sometimes carry a 6 round snubby myself, but don't assume I have a Rambo complex, nor presume to tell me what I should or shouldn't carry. Haven't we got enough pressure from the outside trying to tell us what to do with our weapons?

And as for "one upping"..don't you list a high dollar Custom gun on your profile? I carry a plain jane CZ. Who's keeping up with the Jones's here?
    Last edited by Arko; June 13th, 2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: run on sentance
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I generally carry a single stack semi-auto with an extra mag.

Right now, I am enthralled with my new S&W 638. I cary one extra speed strip for it.

However, I will occasionally carry a GLOCK or other double stack handgun; it's all good.

I actually have both! 16+1 in my XDm PLUS an extra mag of 16

Administrator
    A guy who carries a semi auto with no spare mag is a fool. It doesn't matter the size or capacity. A spare mag is carried primarily for more ammo. Get some training guys, it can save your life.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here's my problem with high capacity - fire discipline...

I remember when I shot a lot of 3-gun and IPSC back in the '90s I used to force myself to shoot matches every couple of months with a revolver or a single stack. Why would a Master do this you ask? Simple. It made me actually start worrying about that little thing called accuracy, because I knew I had a limited number of rounds to throw at a target. For all you high-cap shooters out there, try that sometime and see how humbling it can be. One of my shooting mentors used to tell me when I was a fledgling "B" shooter, "you can't miss fast enough" and then right after that told me "speed wins stages, points win matches".

Absolutely darn right, I learned those two lessons the hard way. The mentor - 3 time world champion Ted Bonnet.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

18mos ago, I would have answered greater capacity, despite greater weight.

But I've got a devil of a nerve issue with my hip/leg that has changed the equation. While I can still carry my CZ P-01 (14+1) and spare magazines just fine, doing so daily is tough. More and more, I find myself carrying a thinner, lighter, smaller unit because of comfort issues.

I absolutely believe in the old soldier's adage that one cannot have enough ammo. I believe the sanity of that statement almost doesn't even need to be mentioned. But the reality of a rough, chronic problem that's taking away the use of my hip/leg from me is something I can't ignore.

In the end, I'd prefer to be armed, rather than strictly heavily armed. I hate doing it, but I'll do it as there are few alternative choices.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Here's my problem with high capacity - fire discipline...

I remember when I shot a lot of 3-gun and IPSC back in the '90s I used to force myself to shoot matches every couple of months with a revolver or a single stack. Why would a Master do this you ask? Simple. It made me actually start worrying about that little thing called accuracy, because I knew I had a limited number of rounds to throw at a target. For all you high-cap shooters out there, try that sometime and see how humbling it can be. One of my shooting mentors used to tell me when I was a fledgling "B" shooter, "you can't miss fast enough" and then right after that told me "speed wins stages, points win matches".

Absolutely darn right, I learned those two lessons the hard way. The mentor - 3 time world champion Ted Bonnet.....
    I agree. To a point. I shoot IDPA and run other drills for the same reason. And when I was trained as a bodyguard, our instructors hammered the slow hit/fast miss concept, and the concept of owning whatever you painted with your lead with.

Having said that, the extra mag still comforts me from a mechanical back up standpoint AND for capacity.

Besides..I never heard of a gunfight where anyone wished they had less ammo or a smaller caliber!

Oh, and since I have huge hands, a double stack just fits my paw better! I could otherwise be just as happy with a 7 shot single....AND a spare mag! ;)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

As others have said, if you carry a semi-auto pistol, it is a must that you have at least one extra mag with you mainly in case of malfunction and secondly for extra rounds regardless of round capacity. There is also always the chance of an accidental mag drop under stress and you will be glad you have that extra mag if that was to happen.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Depending on the day and dress, I prefer both but at a minimum go with the spare mag. Some days it's 6+1+6, some days it's 19+1+19+19 - both if I'm visiting Miggy. ;)

VIP Member
    Sorry, the question was a paradox for me since I donít much care to haul around a reload but I also donít want a mini-gun on my person. If I canít solve my problem in 5-9 rounds, then I guess itís my time to go.
    Regards,
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Normally my Ruger 357 with 2 SLs, that should suffice.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

if i need more than 7 rounds of .45 acp im going for a rifle anyway so more mags.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links