Kahr PM9

Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like this weapon. It points very well, extremely concealable, and shoots flawlessly, except.......The first round with JHP's just will not feed with manual ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9

Kahr PM9

I really like this weapon. It points very well, extremely concealable, and shoots flawlessly, except.......The first round with JHP's just will not feed with manual slide rack. Works great from battery, but when wanting to load first round by racking, it almost always fails to feed. The magazine looks as if the round is pointing down or straight across and the nose of the bullet jams against the ramp. After the first round all seems to go great. I do carry with one in the chamber and can load it from battery but fear the time when I do need to load from manual rack that I will get the problem. Anyone have this issue and what have you done about it? Thanks....I do see that some guys bought Wolfe mags and the problem is gone....Any verification? As I said this gun is flawless otherwise and it was a gift from my son so I wan to keep it and make it work.....

The manual states that the first round should not be slingshotted, you should push down on the slide release lever. Not sure if you are doing this or not.

Also, when I load my bottom feeders, I generally load the mag about half way, chamber a round, and then finish loading the mag to capacity.

If it cycles when fully loaded to capacity, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Administrator
    I've had mine since they first came out, I've had no issues. But you do need to read your manual.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with Danimal and Sixto. The Kahr manual says: "Pull the slide fully to the rear and lock it back using the Slide Stop. Next push down on the Slide Stop to chamber the first round into the barrel. Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery."
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Having recently become interested in adding a Kahr to my collection, I'm really getting curious about this first round loading issue.

What makes tripping the slide stop to release the slide better than retracting the slide to point of refusal and releasing by hand? Is there some extra action added byincluding the slide stop into the equation?

Also, does the MK9 have this same characteristic?

surv

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    What makes tripping the slide stop to release the slide better than retracting the slide to point of refusal and releasing by hand?
    It's because most people don't know how to do this correctly...it is very important in such a small gun. They let go of the slide with a forward type motion(on the slide and gun) that takes away from the force of the slide. To do this correctly you must force the slide out of your hand while still attempting to pull it back, this requires the other hand to be gripping the handle of the gun and forcing it forward...MANY people don't understand this and can't do it correctly, hence the reason for the "use the freggin slide stop" instructions in the manual.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Also, does the MK9 have this same characteristic?

surv
    All Kahrs need to be chambered this way.

I've noticed with my PM9 that of the many different rounds I've put through it all but the Federal HST will load with a slingshot. If I use the slide release lever (as you're supposed to) It will slide easily into battery.

Cut to 20 minutes later...

After writing the above I decided to bring out the little Kahr (after cleaning it, forgot after the last range session) and try what youngda9 said and he was right. If I hold the PM9 slide in my left hand as I always do and basically push very quickly with my right hand, jerking it foreword out of my left I was able to load a round of HST every time.

I want to add that this was an experiment and I intend to follow Kahr's instructions when loading the gun. However I find this interesting. I have a feeling that it's a result of the very tight tolerances used when designing such a small 9mm. My Glock G23 will load with an almost slow motion slingshot; but of course, it's a Glock.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Thanks for all the feedback. And you are all right. I have owned many weapons and never had one that would not load by slingshotting. Never had such a small weapon, so as started that may be design constraints. The gun otherwise is flawless, and as stated above the manual does say to load it this way. Again thanks for the feedback.

This idiosyncrasy has been talked about many times on a number of boards. My PM9 experienced the same thing. Enjoy your PM9.

Mine also dose the same thing,but it mostley happens with my 7rd mag,not the 6, if I load a round manually I have to snap the slide as hard and fast as I can and that works but I also have put around 1500rnds through it, so the tollerences are probubly not so tight.

Still I do what thay say, I load with the slide lock, and always keep a round in the chamber.

It's a grate little gun, I alwase carry it
    1-Better to be judged by twelve then caried by six.
    2-Better to be an open sinner than a false saint.
    3-POLITICAL CORECTNISS will be the downfall of western civilization.
    4-Gun control isn't about gun's, It's about control.
    Those are my thought's on the matter.
    (Steps off soapbox)

What they said. Congrats on the PM9. I love mine. By the way, mine does the same if I try to slingshot it. No problems if I use the slide release. Enjoy your Kahr.
    -LP
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

This is the reason I am selling my PM9 - I replaced it with a Glock 26. What happens if you have a dud with a PM9 and you have to rack it manually? You get a jam. Smacking upwards on the bottom of the mag (solution suggested by Kahr tech support) might get the jammed round to feed. Or not.

I just will not put up with a finnicky pistol. The G26 is not much bigger than a PM9 with the 7-round mag. I have had 3 Kahr pistols, and they have all had various issues. Never again.

Glock restored my faith in pistols. Kahr almost drove me to revolvers...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Glock restored my faith in pistols. Kahr almost drove me to revolvers...
    Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Kahrs. Just goes to show that any brand can produce lemons. However, there are a lot of us Kahr owners here that have not experienced any problems with our weapons. I trust my PM9 the same as my Sig P-239. Both are excellent weapons.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello. First posting.

I am also a happy owner of a PM9. Aside from about 3 misfeeds during the 200 round break-in period, it has performed flawlessly for an additional 250 rounds.

This has been a mixture of WWB, CCI Blazer, CCI Blazer Brass, and different hollowpoints.

I keep coming back to this gun because it is so easy/light to carry. I especially like that I can carry it in my back pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster almost as easily as my P3AT.

Until I read the above posting on how to "slingshot" a Kahr, I used the slide release exclusively. I just tried it like youngda9 mentioned, and it worked just fine with my Speer Golddot hollowpoints.

Good luck with yours. Its a keeper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links