Beretta NEOS .22 -- thoughts?

This is a discussion on Beretta NEOS .22 -- thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a good, inexpensive gun to take to the range and practice, and since .22 ammo is pretty inexpensive -- I read some reviews ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta NEOS .22 -- thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Beretta NEOS .22 -- thoughts?

Looking for a good, inexpensive gun to take to the range and practice, and since .22 ammo is pretty inexpensive -- I read some reviews online, they seem pretty positive, and it's decently priced.

Anyone have one or shoot one? Thoughts?

Hypothetically, what do you think about it for a 10 year old boy to go plinking with his mom at the range? (If my husband sees this, I will deny it though. LOL)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I think Beretta makes excellent quality guns, and they are one of the oldest companies in the world, so they must know what they're doing. I have never had experience with the NEOS but I can only guess it will give you many years of shooting fun. I also think .22s are excellent for young shooters.

Its also nice to see a Mother teaching her son how to shoot rather than the traditional father/son range trip.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The price point is very good compared to most any other .22 available. I confess I personally do not like the grip, but that is my only complaint. It is pretty accurate, very reliable, has good sights, a decent trigger. A good pistol for fun and the range and also for teaching new/young shooters. A true "Best Buy" IMO. I bought one for my sons.

I would suggest a Ruger Mk. III.

I bought one for the wife to practice with, she tried it and the typical others (Ruger Mk III) and liked the feel of this one the best. Cleaning is a little weird, but it shoots well and feels good.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I had one and loved it. It is extremely accurate and fun to shoot. I hated to have to sell it, but when I got laid off from work last year it had to go.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member
    Me, personally, I would rather see him start with something along the line of a single six, for some reason I perceve that to be a safer gun. Hey you do what you want, cause you are a smart bunny

The Beretta is a good gun.

Great bonding for you and the boy

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I have handled the Beretta and Ruger22/45, I think the Ruger will be my next gun purchase. I just liked the way it felt in my hand.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My daughter has one, and says it's easy to shoot. It was inexpensive, fit her hand, and is very easy to clean (a thumbwheel pops the barrel clean off the gun). I think it's a great plinker, and a good starter for someone who doesn't have gorilla wrists... or a big budget considering ammo prices.

For a ten-year-old boy, I would submit that his hand shape/size would be a consideration. Perhaps a gun show would be in order? That's what we did: she tried on lots of different 22s for grip comfort. But if the Neos fits his hand it would seem a great choice.

However, you might also consider the Ruger that has the same size/shape grip as the 1911 (if I'm getting it right). It would be a better trainer for you both for the 'real thing' if you're a 1911 family - though the Neos would be great if it were a standalone plinker. The grip angle on the Neos is a bit different than a lot of other guns, though I don't know how much of an issue this is.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    My daughter has one, and says it's easy to shoot. It was inexpensive, fit her hand, and is very easy to clean (a thumbwheel pops the barrel clean off the gun). I think it's a great plinker, and a good starter for someone who doesn't have gorilla wrists... or a big budget considering ammo prices.

For a ten-year-old boy, I would submit that his hand shape/size would be a consideration. Perhaps a gun show would be in order? That's what we did: she tried on lots of different 22s for grip comfort. But if the Neos fits his hand it would seem a great choice.

However, you might also consider the Ruger that has the same size/shape grip as the 1911 (if I'm getting it right). It would be a better trainer for you both for the 'real thing'. The grip angle on the Neos is a bit different than a lot of other guns, though I don't know how much of an issue this is.

My son was only 7 when he first shot mine. I would only load 1 round at a time to guarantee he did not go crazy with it, but he did just fine. When I get the money for another plinker, it will be a Neos. The only drawback was that when I decided to get it, I thought I would be able to get the carbine kit for it. It was not until later that I discovered that the BATFE had banned them.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Administrator
    I'd skip it and buy a Ruger or Browning.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd skip it and buy a Ruger or Browning.
    You'd be better served with either one of these as both are top quality and not much more coin. I have no experience with the NEOS but having shot both the Ruger and Browining, I ended up buying a Buckmark only because of personal preference. My friend has a Walther P22 that seems like a decent little gun and that may be another option for you.

Here's a great site to do all kinds of reasearch on. It is to rimfires what this site is to concealed carry!
    RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Great pistol! I agree with one of the other posters that cleaning is a little time consuming. The INOX finish models are quite slick, and the 6 inch barrel is the way to go IMHO.

I've got a Neos as well as a Ruger Mark III 22/45. Anyone who says that the cleaning of the Neos is time consuming, hasn't tried the Ruger. The Ruger isn't unbearably hard, but there is a lot of quirks you have to figure out. Both guns are excellent and would be fun. The Neos is my personal favorite but I shoot both equal amounts. I just wanted some variation, ya know?
    "I play for keeps."

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    One range nearby has all the usual .22's, and when we were looking I asked a guy there I trust about the reliability of all the models, and he said they had zero issues with the Neos, and people really seemed to love it or hate it based solely on the grip shape. Personally, I liked, and for a new shooter that hasn't yet developed grip preferences I think it would be a good choice.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links