Ammo for Kimber UC II

This is a discussion on Ammo for Kimber UC II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Folks, I picked up a stainless steel Kimber UC II yesterday. Have been wanting a smaller carry gun in 1911 format. Was reading though owner's ...

Thread: Ammo for Kimber UC II

Ammo for Kimber UC II

Folks,

I picked up a stainless steel Kimber UC II yesterday. Have been wanting a smaller carry gun in 1911 format. Was reading though owner's manual which stated that this particular 1911 works better using 230 gr. FMJ(roundball). Is this correct? I will be using this as my EDC gun. I use 230 gr. Golden Sabres in my other gun(XD-45 SC).

I prefer to carry the Golden Sabres or something similar for self defense and home defense.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Folks,

I picked up a stainless steel Kimber UC II yesterday. Have been wanting a smaller carry gun in 1911 format. Was reading though owner's manual which stated that this particular 1911 works better using 230 gr. FMJ(roundball). Is this correct? I will be using this as my EDC gun. I use 230 gr. Golden Sabres in my other gun(XD-45 SC).

I prefer to carry the Golden Sabres or something similar for self defense and home defense.
    Golden Sabres are designed with a similar rounded nose just for that reason so they should feed fine once you break in the Kimber with the FMJ.

But you will of course need to make sure you do a good range test of the Golden Sabres before you carry.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Congrats on your new gun! Kimber recommends the FMJ for break-in and the FMJ will also run better due to the bullet's geometry as that's what the 1911 was originally designed for. Hollow points can be a little more finicky because of the various manufacturer's design differences in the nose area of the bullet. That's why you see so many recommendations to put "X" amount of rounds of your carry choice through your weapon. This can be even more important in 1911's but in your situation, the ramped barrel will be of benefit for you. Your Golden Sabres should be good to go but keep in mind, the smaller 1911's are less forgiving of shooter errors. If you do have issues, don't immediately blame it on the bullets.

Make sure you post pictures of your new gun and give a range report. Gotta love the Kimbers!

I have an Ultra Carry and an Ultra CDP and carry either Federal Hydrashok, Federal HST, or Speer Gold-Dot in them -- they eat all of that just fine.

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Folks,

This sounds like a little corporate CYA in case you don't like the fact that your new expensive gun won't function with your favorite hollow points.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I use Golden Sabers or WWB JHP in my SW 1911. Both work great, and are relatively easy to find. You might also check out some of the other self defense loads if you can find them.

VIP Member
    Both of my 1911's (Taurus PT1911 & Sig RCS) feed Federal 230gr HST's with no problems. That being said, experiment and find out what your gun likes. It may or may not eat the Golden Sabre, same thing for Federal HST or Winchester Ranger. You won't know until you try them out.

Links