To BUG Or Not To BUG ?

This is a discussion on To BUG Or Not To BUG ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all have our fav carry. But even though I really like my Glock 33 I found myself not carrying it sometimes secondary to weight/concealment ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To BUG Or Not To BUG ?

To BUG Or Not To BUG ?

We all have our fav carry.

But even though I really like my Glock 33 I found myself not carrying it sometimes secondary to weight/concealment issues.

My Keltec stolen from friend's house. Now always carry my RugerLCP.

Big gun better than small gun, small gun better than knife.

Considering Springfield XD subcompact

Any thoughts of that compared to my RugerLCP?
    Last edited by QKShooter; June 14th, 2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: edit title
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

2. Remove Ads

It's a lot bigger and heavier than a LCP.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    It's a lot bigger and heavier than a LCP.
    Own both---very true post----But, but if I was in a fire fight, lord knows the xd would sure make me happier

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

You might carry a J frame more than the XD and still have the punch of a 38 Special.Or you might consider one of the new Ruger LCR's
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

In my opinion the XD is a little wide. Although in a pinch I would love to have capacity that my XD40sc has. My EDC is a Kahr P9. Kind of halfway between a mouse gun and the XD. It is very slim and light. My $.02.

I believe it was Col Cooper that said"You can't carry to much gun to a gunfight"

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post title.
    If you're considering a weapon for a BUG (back up gun), than the LCP would be perfect.
    I think you are referring to changing you EDC (every day carry), and that is a different scenario.

BUG = a second sidearm in .380 is just fine IMHO.
    EDC = a firearm in .380 might work for you but I would prefer something in a larger caliber. I have sometimes left my Kimber at home and just taken my KelTec .380...it depends upon where I have to go and what I might be wearing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Retsupp99 correct on my title ref BUG...

But Cassiiuss Clay's famous words Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a Bee reminds me of my LCP.

Once while back my Glock33 in Galco pocket holster in my jeans pulled them down The weapon remain conceaked but I did not :)

So my EVD is my RugerLCP. It has bigger stinger than a bee.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

What does this have to do with a backup gun?

Carry the Glock or an XDsc unless you have no other choice but to carry a mouse gun. Yes, it's easy slipping a .380 in your pocket but if--God forbi--you're ever squared off with a guy (or two, or three?) that wants to do you or your family harm are you going to be glad you've chosen to leave the Glock at home?

I LOVE both of my XD Sc's but as posted above, they are a bit wide. I tend to carry my S&W airweight more and more when I'm not with my full sized 1911 rig. Plus you've got 38 (or 357 if you're crazy enough to try it from an airweight) on hand.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

For a backup gun I might carry a LCP or a Kel Tec in 380, But that's only in addition to my primary weapon of choice. And that's not a single stack 380.

Think of it this way. You've had to draw your weapon. You've fired all your rounds. You still have an attacker standing and coming at you. Look at your little LCP. What is your first thought? Is it, Boy this thing sure is light and easy to carry? Or is it, Wish I had my Glock?

If your pants fall down get a real gun belt. Still fall down? Get some suspenders!
    Question Everything!

Get a J-Frame Smith to compliment that Glock. I prefer a revolver over a small auto of the LCP,Kel-Tec class for reliability and power-to-weight. Question:: Is the 33 the compact 357SIG ?
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

MY sig (mm and my 1911 .45 are always backup up with my Taurus Ultralite,Speer gold dot 135gr. I never found carrying them to be to heavy for me.........maybe you need a better quality holster and belt

Me Too...

I've been dawdling with this issue as well. I love my Defender but, I've found myself carrying my LCP alone more since it's gotten hot. I intend to carry both until I can get a S&W 642 for a BUG but it's just so stinkin hot to carry IWB or OWB under a shirt.

IMHO, I guess if you are looking for something to carry alone during the summer I would say J-Frame. And, stick with that even for a BUG if that's the question. Try a smart carry if the wardrobe is the issue it might be a cheaper option for the summer.

My mom (a small woman) is carrying her Sig P232 in a Smart Carry and loves it... I'm now thinking about getting one for the defender. "Is that a gun you're carrying or are you just happy to see me?"

Stay Safe...
    "The way I figure it having a concealed gun is like wearing your seat belt. You hope that you never need it but, the one time you don't wear it and something happens you or your mourning family will be sorry you didn't have it."

I carry a 642 in the pocket for backup and a 2" 357 or a G26 IWB from the time I get dressed in the AM till I get undressed in the PM. Everyday all day even if I don't leave the house. NO brag just fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links