Colt vs. Kimber

This is a discussion on Colt vs. Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good afternoon all! So ive decided recently that i will be ordering a 1911 and have narrowed it down to two: Kimber or Colt. Specifically ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Colt vs. Kimber

Colt vs. Kimber

Good afternoon all! So ive decided recently that i will be ordering a 1911 and have narrowed it down to two: Kimber or Colt.
    Specifically im looking for a 4-41/4 barrel and the shorter grip (sorry my 1911 knowledge isn't the best ). I believe they call this the officers model?
    Anyway ive noticed Kimber has the Compact Stainless II, which has the shorter grip and 4 inch barrel.
    For some reason something in the back of my head is saying go w/ Colt. So i looked at some Colts and like the 1991 series officer with the 4 1/4 barrel but could not find any specs on frame size. Due they make a model with the shorter grip?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thank you

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    Colt used to make a CCO model which has the Officers size frame while retaining the Commander length slide.

Currently Colt offers neither the Officers ACP or the CCO models which have the short grip frame.

Both the Kimber and the Colt utilize a full length 1911 grip frame

Between the Kimber and the Colt I'd go with the Colt. The Colt Commander utilizes a 4 1/4 inch slide and barrel with a conventional barrel bushing. The Kimber uses a bushing less bull barrel that increases complexity of disassembly/assembly and has a seriously shorter recoil spring service life.

If you're seriously enamored with a CCO type 1911 check with Bob at Fusion Firearms about building one for you.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

You can get CCO style pistols from Sig and Dan Wesson. I personally prefer the Springfield "Compact" model which is a 4" bushingless design. I think the "Compact" is only available from the custom shop these days.

In Kimber's CDP category, the Compact gives one the 4" barrel with the shorter grip and the Pro gives the 4" barrel with the longer grip.

The breakdown of the bushingless barrel is not a difficult, just different, and the the cost of the recoil springs is about $15 (replaced every 2000 rounds?)...not much.

I love my Kimbers, but Colt is a great 1911, too...we all have our preferences...they are many in both camps.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a 4" Kimber Pro Carry HD, and the Ultra Carry 3". The Ultra is lighter because of the aluminum frame. It is also easy to carry because of the shorter barrel. Both are accurate and reliable. As retsupt99 said, "we all have our preferences".

Thank you all for the responses!
    Sounds like i cant go wrong with either one!

I have both...I may give a slight edge to the Kimber as far as accuracy and feel, but then I think everybody should have at least one Colt.

I would say you are right on in your last post...You can't go wrong with either. I would go with the one you can get a better deal on.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    The ideal solution to your decision would be to find folks who have both and see if they will let you fire them both.

I have a 70's vintage Colt commander and a newer Kimber Ultra Raptor w/ 3" barrel. Conventional wisdom says that the heavier Colt should be more comfortable to shoot, being heavier and with a longer barrel. However, I actually prefer to shoot my shorter Kimber--it just "feels" better to me. Its a "plus" that its easier to carry/conceal.

Colts and Kimbers

I have a number of Colt 1911s and one Kimber, and have a good opinion of both brands.

If you want the shorter grip, commonly called "officers" length, the Kimber line probably offers more options. Both the Kimber Ultra (3 inch barrel) and the Kimber Compact (4 inch barrel) have an officers grip. The Kimber Compact sounds closest to your specs.

In Colt, the only officers grip in current production is on the Defender (3 inch barrel). The Colt Officers model had a 3.5 inch barrel, but is out of production. Likewise Colt used to make a variation with the officers grip and a 4-1/4 inch barrel length, but that is out of production also. You can find these on the used market, however.

I own a Colt Defender and it has performed perfectly for me. It is highly concealable and has a lightweight aluminum frame. If you can go with a 3 inch barrel it is a good choice.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

man.......Colt...top dollar for sub-rate firearms.

Kimber, all the way. I can't stand "iconic brand arrogance". IMHO, that is what Colt passes around.

I will be contrite- much of my opinion comes from the fact that I carried a "Combat Govt." as an armored car driver in the early 1980's. Out of the box, this thing would not feed hardball.

You would not believe the responses I got from Colt. Funny thing- as an armored car driver in Connecticut, Colt (Chandler Evans), was actually one of my pickups.

I remember when for another job in the early 80's, I had to carry revolver. So, I bought a King Cobra. Out of the box......big problems. Same response from Colt.....they didn't really care. I chucked that gun in my closet and went out and bought a S&W 586.

At the end of the day, I'm old enough to remember their half-hearted attempts (arrogant) at keeping the U.S. military bids on rifles and sidearms. As well, I remember their attitude towards not supporting the sporting demographic that used Pythons, Gold Cups, SAA etc.

I'm a HUGE firearms history buff but, I cannot bring myself to buy another one of their products.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a number of Colt 1911s and one Kimber, and have a good opinion of both brands.

If you want the shorter grip, commonly called "officers" length, the Kimber line probably offers more options. Both the Kimber Ultra (3 inch barrel) and the Kimber Compact (4 inch barrel) have an officers grip. The Kimber Compact sounds closest to your specs.

In Colt, the only officers grip in current production is on the Defender (3 inch barrel). The Colt Officers model had a 3.5 inch barrel, but is out of production. Likewise Colt used to make a variation with the officers grip and a 4-1/4 inch barrel length, but that is out of production also. You can find these on the used market, however.

I own a Colt Defender and it has performed perfectly for me. It is highly concealable and has a lightweight aluminum frame. If you can go with a 3 inch barrel it is a good choice.

I'm sorry but, as evidence: Look at the "fit" on the tang of the frame to the beaver tail. Holy smokes, it looks like a beaver gnawed that one out. Compare that to the fit on a Kimber Ultra Carry.

"Back in the day", we used to have a saying about firearms: "tight and right". That meant pieces fit together, flats were flat, rounds were round and edges were clean.

Colt still, has not understood that and they're charging premium prices.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragoon View Post
    I'm sorry but, as evidence: Look at the "fit" on the tang of the frame to the beaver tail.
    It's not evidence if Colt didn't install the grip safety.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    It's not evidence if Colt didn't install the grip safety.
    fair point....touche. However, that was still "evidentuary". I'm afraid that my opinion of Colt still stands.

I have seen "fit" issues like that with OEM parts on stock Colts.

Go here: http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-..._PISTOLS.aspx#

On their website!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is how contemptous they are of your dollars and business. Can you imagine if you had to pull that weapon in a fight, only to find that something had worked its way in between the tang and the safety, rendering the gun inoperable?

I just looked their for the first time in twenty years, based on your post, wanting to give you and Colt the benefit of the doubt. It seems though, nothing has changed.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragoon View Post
    fair point....touche. However, that was still "evidentuary". I'm afraid that my opinion of Colt still stands.

I have seen "fit" issues like that with OEM parts on stock Colts.
    And I'll hold the opposite opinion on my experience with Colt's.
    Smarshe likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    And I'll hold the opposite opinion on my experience with Colt's.
    hmmm.....okay. I have to give you that. I will never agree on Colt since I see their cavalier treatment of their customer as symptomatic as to what is wrong with American companies these days. However, I'll still yield since aside from this opinion, you and I would most likely enjoy a beer together in peace...as long as we didn't discuss Colt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links