Rank the Following factors

This is a discussion on Rank the Following factors within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For concealed carry IWB with a supertuck or similar variant, which of the following factors is most important to least important. In no order.... Overall ...

Thread: Rank the Following factors

Rank the Following factors

For concealed carry IWB with a supertuck or similar variant, which of the following factors is most important to least important. In no order....Overall Length, Overall Height, Overall Width, Weight (loaded).

Here's what I'm thinking that for concealed carry IWB, that

1. Width - this would be the most important factor, thinner easier to conceal and more comfortable.
    2. Weight - lighter is good
    3. Length - it cant be too long or the barrell will interefer with sitting, etc.
    4. Height- This would mainly come into factor when drawing, I would think.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    For concealed carry IWB with a supertuck or similar variant, which of the following factors is most important to least important. In no order....Overall Length, Overall Height, Overall Width, Weight (loaded).

Here's what I'm thinking that for concealed carry IWB, that

1. Width - this would be the most important factor, thinner easier to conceal and more comfortable.
    2. Weight - lighter is good
    3. Length - it cant be too long or the barrell will interefer with sitting, etc.
    4. Height- This would mainly come into factor when drawing, I would think.
    I like your rankings up to #3. Swap #3 and #4 and that's how I'd rank them. IME, height is almost a #2b for IWB carry especially if you are tucking.

VIP Member
    IMHO: Based on the factors you mentioned, it depends largely on the center of gravity of the gun and the bearing surface on the hip. I note the infamous “V2” style, which spreads the weight horizontally across the waist. Conversely, some styles incorporate a longer tang which provides support in a more vertical direction, whereby the holster is narrow i.e. Mitch Rosen ARG-Plus or similar. When I test fit and draw, I pay particular attention to the available clearance of my middle finger knuckle.

So, in the abstract I suppose I would rank: Height, Length, Width & Weight.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

You forgot the BANG factor which should be number 1 on everyones list period.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

The factor I care least about is the weight. I generally like more weight rather than less.

I've never had a problem with sitting and I normally carry 4 seasons full size 5" 1911 format.

Really 'width' is the only factor for me as related to comfort and ease of concealment.

I normally and have for years EDC a full size 5" full steel Sig GSR with rail in an IWB holster and it weighs just over 40oz. empty with no magazine.
    Not too many other combat auto-loaders get heavier than that....that are realistic to carry and do not have the name Desert Eagle associated to them.

In fact more weight is better for recoil attenuation.
    This becomes evident in shooting the GSR as compared to my lightweight Colt Defender also chambered in .45.

Of your list width would be most important as related to possibility to carry holstered in an IWB holster or even OWB as behind a suit jacket which I also do on occasion.

After that the rest of your items are of zero importance or thought to me including length because anything longer than a 5" barrel is specific for hunters or IPSC and bullseye marksmanship shooters....and not combat never mind carry weapons.
    I focus on function of the firearm followed by caliber and last but also important magazine capacity.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links