Switching platforms

This is a discussion on Switching platforms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up my permit today and I have a Colt Detective Spl, I plan on carrying a G19 and I have a 9mm Pro ...

Thread: Switching platforms

Switching platforms

I picked up my permit today and I have a Colt Detective Spl, I plan on carrying a G19 and I have a 9mm Pro Carry on order. I have holsters on order for each of these gun but the platform change has me a bit concerned.

The Glock to the Colt and back isn't a concern. But the 1911 adds the thumb safety.

I am considering teaching myself to sweep the safety regardless what I am shooting and to use both the 1911 and Glock for IDPA to help drill the move.

Any thougnts?

2. Remove Ads

I would pick one and stick with it....that extra "swipe" could be the difference you need to win. "Point and Click" or SAO, I would find one and practice and train with it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I think it's no big deal. I've switched back and forth between 1911's and glocks, sigs, etc... for years. Never noticed the difference. As my thumb goes to grip the gun it will sweep where the thumb safety is and disengage it, if it's there. It's part of the normal gripping and drawing motion.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have to say that the whole platform switching worries are, in my opinion, overrated. I carried a Beretta semi-auto with manual safety while in the military, I carried a revolver at my current job, prior to us switching over to the M&P. Off duty for CCW, I carry a Colt defender most of time with the usual 1911 safeties, a 637 sometimes and I shoot the wife's Taurus PT111 at the range for fun. I have yet to have an issue with any safety measures. At work I drive a Ford Crown Vic automatic, at home I drive a manual jeep, and sometimes my wife's restored early 80's bmw, and I used to ride a crotch rocket. No troubles switching between them.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I switch back and forth between my Kimber Ultra CDP and my Glock-36. The two certainly have different grip angles, and differ greatly in preparing to shoot.
    I've never had a problem with the thumb safety on my 1911...muscle memory works very well...it like not thinking when typing...my thumb takes off the safety prior to thinking about it when it leaves the holster.
    When the Glock is drawn, nothing special is noticed...it's just our of the holster and ready to shoot.

Changing my EDC (occasionally) does not present a problem for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with the above posters. I switch between revolvers and 1911 pistols regularly with no issues.

Dave

My apparently contrarian opinion is that you settle on ONE defensive handgun platform, and use that only. I also recommend ONE holster that you can use regardless of dress. Find what works for you all the time, and stick to it.

Some folks like to have many different guns, just because they like guns. That's fine for fun and target shooting. But, when it comes to defense, it is better to train yourself on one system.

The 1911 has a different trigger feel than a Glock, less ammo capacity, and an external safety. If you are "used to" having 16 rounds in a Glock 19, but carry a 1911 on the day you need to defend yourself, you may fire it dry and continue to work the trigger, not realizing you are empty - simply because you are not "expecting" it to be empty so soon.

FWIW, I carry a G26 daily, and have a G19 as a home defense pistol. Same platform.

Personally, I would heartily recommend you carry the G19. To paraphrase someone else whose opinions I respect - pretty 1911 clones are what you show your friends; Glocks are what you show your enemies.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

LOL, have and carry both 1911's and a Glock 26, haven't had any problems switching between the 2. While maybe staying with 1 platform would benefit some, for most I don't think it will cause problems. As far as dry firing in the heat of a shoot out, I doubt that all but the most trained people will be counting there rounds and know exactly when they reach the last round. Guess that's a good reason for the slide to lock back.

And I think the 45 shown to a bad guy is as good as a 9 out of a Glock. The military used the 1911 platform for years and years with no problems and great results against the enemy. Besides my 1911''s aren't what I'd call pretty , wasn't expensive, aren't finely tuned , but function just great.

My primary carry.

My primary HD pistol.

But I also carry on occasion a Glock 26, Ruger LCP and have a 38 special. I'm one of those that likes guns.

kpw
    If you shoot and practice enough with both, I wouldn't worry about it much. If not, try sticking to one platform for carry.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I think what needs to be put forth right here is you must be proficient in your main caryy piece and its holster but there's nothing wrong with switching a piece out here and ther,a matter of fact it helps you to become proficient in the operation of other pistols if your ever in a situation that you might have to grab one to save your life! As far as A glock being the gun you show your enemy and a 1911 the one you show off to a friend, I have a list of many incidents were glocks failed on duty and 1911's didn't chop on that when you laying on the ground praising that g19

*sigh*

This isn't a debate about the 1911 platform versus the Glock. I've seen many firsthand reports from owners of pricey Kimbers who've had numerous issues with their pistols too. That debate borders on a religious war, and it's not my desire to go there.

The OP asked for opinions about switching platforms for concealed carry defensive purposes. While I agree it is a very good idea to be familiar with the operation of different firearms, I do not think it is a good idea to use different platforms for concealed carry purposes.

That's my considered opinion. While you may operate those different platforms just fine at the range, real life defensive encounters are a whole different thing. The fewer variables to deal with, the better.

I also did not say anything about counting rounds. However, if you are used to 16 rounds in a Glock 19, but sometimes carry a 1911 with half that ammo capacity, you very well may not "expect" to run dry so quickly. You might notice the slide locked back while you are under stress; or you may not. Practice helps, but stress does funny things.

That's my opinion. Feel free to do whatever.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My primary carry is a Commander length 1911 but when the situation calls for something smaller, I carry a S&W 642 - soon to be replaced (or alternated with) a Kahr MK9. At times I reach for my Glock 19 but it's rare, usually when my back is flaring up and I need something lighter in weight. So far I haven't noticed any problems while transitioning between them at the range but, thankfully, I've been fortunate enough to never have to draw my weapon in a life threatening situation.

I DO try to stick primarily to the 1911 platform but situations don't always allow that, so I switch up when I have to. Both sides of the argument have some validity I suppose so I try to stay as proficient with each weapon as possible and switch up only when there's a real need to.
    Jack

If I expected to carry the 1911 most of the time, I would have no concerns as moving to the simpler g19 or revolver is easy. None of the 1911 habits would pose a problem. But... forgetting the safety or staging the trigger on a 1911 could be bad.

Links