Skeptical on ported guns...

This is a discussion on Skeptical on ported guns... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; until I fired a Glock 32C in .357 Sig. The muzzle barely jumped! Much easier shooting than even my G19 in 9mm. I'm sold on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skeptical on ported guns...

Skeptical on ported guns...

until I fired a Glock 32C in .357 Sig. The muzzle barely jumped! Much easier shooting than even my G19 in 9mm. I'm sold on that compensator. Very fast subsequent shots, and the "blinding blast" just didn't happen. No blowback in my eyes, none of the horror stories I've heard about. And with the performance of that round, it will be on my hip for sure!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

I once did a training exercise 2 ft from a target and gun fired from close into my body, as in a TOO close encounter, where retention is an issue.

No ported weapon for me!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I have wondered about porting for a long time. Anyone here have a ported XD? Any thoughts?

I once had a 2" .44 magnum with porting... totally over rated flash, loved it.
    10mm Rocks

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I'll never buy a ported gun. My opinion.

Try firing from retention...like in a WW parking lot...then you'll feel the flash...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I've heard both good and bad stories. They generally seem to be centered around proximity of the ports to the body (like TravisABQ's experience). While I like the idea, though have never handled one personally, I don't want to have to account for the exhausting gas on top of all the other tactical issues involved in discharging a pistol in extreme circumstances.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    I once did a training exercise 2 ft from a target and gun fired from close into my body, as in a TOO close encounter, where retention is an issue.

No ported weapon for me!
    Self Defense (shooting from the hip/with laser) bad idea.

Shooting at the range (Weaver/Mod Weaver etc..) could help.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    Self Defense (shooting from the hip/with laser) bad idea.

Shooting at the range (Weaver/Mod Weaver etc..) could help.
    Shooting at full extension all the time is fine if punching paper is the only goal. In a self defense situation, with an assailant at bad breath distance, shooting from a retention position is a vital skill.

Porting is OK depending on the application; I used one in USPSA for about 15 years on an Open gun; one thing you need to understand about porting is that you have to have enough pressure to make the ports work. I used to laugh at the guys who ported their .45acps because the pressures never rose high enough to make the ports on the comps work. Even with the mighty .38 super racegun I shot, I still used 13.5 grains of AA7 with a 115 grain bullet to make the comp work and tame the muzzle flip.

A round like the .357 sig will work fine because of the pressures generated (in excess of 30,000cup), but anything less is really not going to help. For those low pressure rounds, like my carry 45 my solution to taming muzzle flip was:

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Porting

I had an Ed Brown Comp on my 45. I did get some blast when doing the "Speed Rock" defensive drills (weapon retention, close enough to touch target.) Okay, so aside from little flecks of powder on the underside of my jaw, not bad.

I did get some good muzzle hold-down, probably more from the big chunk of steel out at the end of the barrel. Problem is, it made the gun too big to carry, except in winter.

It's gone back to stock, and is going to be my EDC.

WooHoo! First post on new page...
    Last edited by MedPig; June 15th, 2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Celebrating?
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Have a recently purchased factory Magnaported S&W 3" 60-10 that I slapped a set of Uncle Mikes full coverage grips on for a pain free session and carry. Shot a box of 50 Speer GD 158 gr. through it. The difference was amazingly pleasant for a small, lightweight "J" frame firing a full magnum round compared to my heavier K snubs. As far as flash goes it wasn't much more noticable than my K's. The noise is very loud like any other .357 snub but I always wear double hearing protection so no problem there either.

As far up close and personal I could care less about the flash and gases coming up as the round is still going to go where I have the weapon pointed when pulling the trigger. My 19 flashes like all get out. If a BG has his hand above the ports while grabbing for the Smith I have an instant blow torch that should suffice in the instant removal of his hand from the barrel. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    This isn't my video, although I do carry a ported 642. In my own experience on the range, the difference does result in less mussel flip. Anyway, I like it so it's a keeper'.
    Regards,

YouTube - Ported S&W J frame test
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

If fired from a close retention position during a struggle, hot gases in the eyes from a ported pistol are more than a nuisance - they are potentially a fight (and thus life) ender.

Keep ports for target shooting and gun games.

No ports on defensive guns. Whatever gain you get is not worth the risk of hot gas and debris in your eyes.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

For those who don't mind the flash, are you trying it in very low light/night time conditions?

Check this out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links