Noob question about carrying condition 1..

This is a discussion on Noob question about carrying condition 1.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so i have a SA 1911 that I carry CCW. I just started carrying on Sat, so I am new to this. I carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question about carrying condition 1..

Noob question about carrying condition 1..

Ok, so i have a SA 1911 that I carry CCW. I just started carrying on Sat, so I am new to this. I carry condition 1, and I notice that the round that I chamber has been compressed a slight bit. I have not really notice this before because the only time I would load the chamber was right before I shot it.

Normally I load the Magazine, chamber a round, eject the magazine, and refill magazine.

I wanted to know if I pull back the slide, put a round in the chamber, push the slide back into position, and insert loaded magazine, would that ruin or wear out the ejector? is that a bad thing to do? I figured that would keep the round from being ressessed from the fead ramp.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your advise.
    james
    Active Duty Air Force
    NRA Life Member
    CCW

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    It's normal, it's called bullet set back, happens with most if not all autos as a result of the bullet being rammed up the feed ramp.

Direct chambering (manually loaded from slide lock, then inserting the mag) can damage the extractor as it's being forced over the rim of the case.

OK, So how do you get around the bullet set back? do you keep chambering the same round? do you discard, the set back round and chamber another?

I do not keep a round in the chamber at home. so what would you guys do?

James
    Active Duty Air Force
    NRA Life Member
    CCW

Just rotate rounds and then fire them from time to time. Every time I eject a round, I put it towards the bottom of the mag and chamber the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinbbl View Post
    do you keep chambering the same round?
    No, that's only going to make it worse! If you chamber a round enough times, it can set it back far enough to increase pressure to dangerous levels.

I do not keep a round in the chamber at home.
    Why not? Given the propensity for home invasion robberies there's no reason to deliberately make yourself less safe at home.

so what would you guys do?
    Chamber a round. Keep it chambered until I'm ready to shoot, do dry practice, or clean the gun. Rotate my ammo so it's not always the same round getting chambered. After each round gets chambered a few times, take it to the range and shoot it.

ok, sounds like I have a decision to make. I dont keep it loaded at home because I have two children. yes the are trained on weapons, and know not to tuch them. but they have friends come over and I dont want them stumbling into my night stand and finding it. I think I need to get a small night stand safe!

I have a 12 ga with 5 shells in the tube, but nothing in the chamber for the home invasion.

I have a decision to make about keeping the 1911 loaded in the home! I am not sold on that one yet.

But I dont want to have to keep buying protection round every month either.

James
    Active Duty Air Force
    NRA Life Member
    CCW

ok, sounds like I have a decision to make. I dont keep it loaded at home because I have two children. yes the are trained on weapons, and know not to tuch them. but they have friends come over and I dont want them stumbling into my night stand and finding it. I think I need to get a small night stand safe!
    Definitely!

I have a 12 ga with 5 shells in the tube, but nothing in the chamber for the home invasion.
    Get a long gun vault or something for this too. If you have kids in the house keeping the chamber empty is NOT sufficient. Even little kids can pump a shotgun or work the slide on an auto by racking it against an object. Relying on an empty chamber to keep them safe could well end in tragedy. If you have kids guns need to either be locked up or on your person at all times. Secure that shotgun, and keep your pistol on your person all the time. When you can't have it on you (when you are asleep or in the shower) lock it in a quick access gun safe.

Thats a good Idea, I could just keep the 1911 on me at all times. I have a long gun safe for my rifles, and shot gun. so that shouldn't be a problem!

My children are 10, and 8. so yes they know how to load a shotgun!

I want to get a small safe for my wallet, and 1911 to put on my night stand. but I have to save the money for it!

thanks for the sugestions gents!
    James
    Active Duty Air Force
    NRA Life Member
    CCW

AMEN... If it isn't on you, it needs to be in the vault/safe,.. I have two kids at home that both shoot, and both know gun safety, but I still wouldn't just leave a weapon around the house loaded or unloaded,. Locked, or on your person,............. On your person is the best thing,. With home invasions, you wouldn't have time to get to your 12ga before you have gun's on you if someone busted through your door,.. Must be on you so your read to pull it,... Remember, if something happens, it isn't like something that is practiced,.. It will happen differently, and when you LEAST expect it.... ALWAYS be prepared,.. ALWAYS>>>>>... Oh, one more thing,.. You should always keep it condition one,.. How often will you be able to chamber the round when someone has the advantage of surprise???

Ok, so i have a SA 1911 that I carry CCW. I just started carrying on Sat, so I am new to this. I carry condition 1, and I notice that the round that I chamber has been compressed a slight bit. I have not really notice this before because the only time I would load the chamber was right before I shot it.

Normally I load the Magazine, chamber a round, eject the magazine, and refill magazine.

I wanted to know if I pull back the slide, put a round in the chamber, push the slide back into position, and insert loaded magazine, would that ruin or wear out the ejector? is that a bad thing to do? I figured that would keep the round from being ressessed from the fead ramp.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your advise.
    james
    On putting a round in the chamber - the 1911 (the traditional designs - some modern interpretations have a spring-loaded one) has a solid extractor, as opposed to a spring-loaded extractor as found on weapns such as a Kahr, Glock, Sig, etc. Therefore this can break the extractor. It probably could on any design but the 1911 is particularly vunerable due to the fact the extractor has no room to move around.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Direct chambering (manually loaded from slide lock, then inserting the mag) can damage the extractor as it's being forced over the rim of the case.
    Interesting... I had not heard this before... is this specific to 1911's, or does it apply to my Sig 220 as well...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Interesting... I had not heard this before... is this specific to 1911's, or does it apply to my Sig 220 as well...?
    It applies to all firearms that I am aware of. I can't think of any manufacturer that recommends placing a round in the chamber then allowing the slide to slam forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    It can be tough on the extractor of any gun, but it is particularly hard on guns with internal, solid extractors like the classic 1911 design. I would avoid doing it in any gun, since there's no real reason to.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I learn something new just about every day at DeeCeedotcom...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I have found that if I load the magazine in the 1911, and slowly slide the slide foreward, the round will chamber, and the projectile will not have set back!

my next question is can I carry the 1911 with fully loaded 8 round magazine, and 1 in the pipe? or will that damage the gun?

James
    Active Duty Air Force
    NRA Life Member
    CCW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links