Beretta Tomcat?? .32 ACP as a whole??

This is a discussion on Beretta Tomcat?? .32 ACP as a whole?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These seem like largely ignored pocket pistols...with the right ammo they wouldnt be any worse than some of the other borderline SD pocket guns carried ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Tomcat?? .32 ACP as a whole??

Beretta Tomcat?? .32 ACP as a whole??

These seem like largely ignored pocket pistols...with the right ammo they wouldnt be any worse than some of the other borderline SD pocket guns carried by many of our members They are a Beretta. You can even get CT grips for them. Give me your thoughts? Who here can make a case for or against a .32 for a pocket gun? I would primarily be looking to this for a "no gun" gun or a BUG.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I'm a big fan now of pocket pistols. Although I find it hilarious that the Grendal P-12 in my back pocket is invisible to everyone, despite the fact it prints the worst I have ever seen.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

i have one

i have a tomcat, which i bought used. despite the somewhat sketchy reputation they seem to have for wearing out, mine works fine- never had a ftf or fte or any sort of jam with it. it shoots the hollowpoint rounds just as well as fmj stuff. i use winchester silvertip when i carry it, which i admit isnt too often.
    easy to shoot- very little recoil. it is possible to accidentally push the barrel tip-up latch, which is a pain. the gun is quite heavy for its size. like all berettas, the quality is good.
    i prefer my j frames by a large margin, but i would carry it if it was what was usable or available to me.
    as for the 32 acp, it is marginal of course. fiocchi makes some hotter stuff- sort of like P+ maybe. but i wouldnt think it was possible to make this round really adequate. on the other hand, the ammo is CUTE!
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I have a Tomcat that's on my "will never get rid of" list. Fun little gun but as a SD firearm, I'm afraid it's been greatly surpassed by other offerings. The little Tomcat weighs 15.8 ozs. empty compared to 8.3 ozs. for the P-3AT or 9.4 ozs. for the LCP. When you look at the ballistics for standard ammo:
    Hornady Custom Ammunition 32 ACP 60 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point
    Muzzle Velocity: 1000 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 133 ft. lbs.

Hornady Custom Ammunition 380 ACP 90 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point
    Muzzle Velocity: 1000 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 200 ft. lbs.
    there seems to be no reason or advantage to carrying the Tomcat over one of the small 380s unless you find the tip-up barrel to be a necessity.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I was going to purchase one back in early 2009 but after reading threads from the Beretta forum, I decided against it. I actually had a deposit on a Beretta here in NY. But apparently the Tomcat, has had issues with cracks within the frame soon after firing. As a result I purchased a S&W 642 and most recently a .45 ACP Kimber Ultra Carry II. Please see the forum: Welcome to the Beretta Forum for more information. For those who do own one, please perform a disassembly and check the frame thoroughly. From what I also understand the Beretta Tomcat Inox is stainless and hence can withstand more pressure and recoil. No problems on that particular model. Hope this helps.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Here is my $.02 on the Beretta Tomcat. Both my son and I had Tomcats that we bought new. Mine never jammed, and his always jammed.

Neither one of us have the Tomcat any longer, for the following reasons:
    .32 caliber= too anemic for serious self defense.
    Although the gun is small, it is conciderably heavy for its size.
    The weight of the Tomcat is the same as the S&W airweight, and I'd rather carry 38 +p than 32.
    Finally, the Tomcat is expensive for what it is. I think they are going for around $450 now, and for that money there are better choices.

There are some of us who trade a gun and then regret trading it. To me the Beretta is one of those guns that not only do I NOT miss it, I totally forgot I ever owned it until I read this post.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I debated on a Tomcat for a while, but started finding the threads regarding the frames cracking. Some of the posts included the results of conversations with Beretta getting getting the problem fixed or the gun replaced.

While the warranty/customer support appears good, I decided against the gun due to number of people experiencing the same problem in the same area (I also was unable to find any posts regarding the problem being fixed in newer models [Blued model only] - but it is possible that I missed it).

I have read that the INOX model, while heavier, doesn't seem to have the problem.
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

The 32 is still viable under certain circumstances. While there are some 380 and even 9 mm that is "small" it is also harder to control for some who have a hard time holding the gun (and it is a better choice than 22 and much more than a 25).

Remember those who are recoil sensitive. And arthritis. And after an operation.

The gun itself does weigh more than some at that size... but if it is reliable than consider that the very same weight helps absorb perceived recoil and the tip up is a savior for those who have issues pulling back the slide.

I would consider it a "get off me" gun and who here would volunteer to get shot by a 32 at contact distance. ;-)
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Without getting into the inevitable caliber debate, the Tomcat has something of a sketchy reputation for reliability. It's also significantly heavier than many of the other alternatives available.

For both reasons, I wouldn't personally choose it as a pocket gun.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I carry a Seecamp 32 everywhere, tell me it's a mouse if I screw it in your ear.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Prefer my lcp anyday over the tomcat.
    Regards,
    Shane Stagg
    Coopersburg, PA
    NRA Lifetime Member
    USCCA Member
    NAFC Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I like my (380) PPK, even though it is heavy. If you can go with a higher caliber, why not?

That is, for people who can physically handle it; the kick of 380 is surprising for such a small cartridge and the PPK slide is impossible to rack for someone with weak hands.
    Last edited by GWRedDragon; June 17th, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I carry a .32 almost daily. I chose the Seecamp for my pocket carry over the Beretta, (my second choice), primarily due to the size and weight issue. A good, reliable, easy to carry pocket gun is the most useful tool in the arsenal of concealed carriers, IMHO. As to the .32acp being potent for self defence... of course it is.

I have two KelTecs, a .32 and a .380. There appears to be very little difference in size...almost identical, so concealment makes little difference in choosing one over the other.
    When it comes to power, the .380 may have a little more power, but not much for my wife to even notice. I like both little guns, but if I had to pick one over the other, I'd obviously would go the 'slightly' more powerful P-3AT.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have been looking all over at pocket guns...and the Tomcat seems to be available more so than the LCP or others. Guess I am answering my own question here.

The .32 round can't be that bad...James Bond carried it...LOL
    Really thought there are LOTS of PPKs out there in .32 that got the job done for many a person in years previous. Like one poster said, it would be my "get off me" gun. I probably wont go with the Tomcat but I am getting a pocket gun and .32 is not out of the running.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links