New Kahr K9 is malfunctioning....who do I report it to?

This is a discussion on New Kahr K9 is malfunctioning....who do I report it to? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brand new Kahr is malfunctioning, failing to feed. Do I contact Kahr myself or do I take it back to the gun store I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr K9 is malfunctioning....who do I report it to?

My brand new Kahr is malfunctioning, failing to feed. Do I contact Kahr myself or do I take it back to the gun store I bought it from and have them do it?

Take it back to the Store where you purchased it. I'm only second-guessing, but I'm sure it's the Magazines.. there's been a slight [problem with the mags, and I'm sure the store will swap you out for tanother set of mags............BTW, what brand of ammo are you using, as it may be the problem as well.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I was using American Eagle 115gr. target ammo. I was thinking maybe the 115gr. wasn't enough to fully complete the slide cycle. The store I bought it from doesn't have any K9s in stock because they had to order mine for me ( got a very good price ). So I wonder what they are going to say. I thought I they were supposed to contact Kahr and go from there......I am totally confused and angry as hell! I own a K40 and have 2,000 rounds through it without one single malfunction and now this.

Maybe I will take it to the range tomorrow morning and all +P carry ammo through it and see what happens before I take it back to the gun shop. You made a comment about the mags, could you explain a little more.

Call Kahr. It may take them a day or two to get back to you, but they will. Mine has done the same thing, their suggestion was to leave the mags loaded for a week to loosen the spring a bit and also to polish the feed ramp. DON'T POLISH IT WITHOUT TALKING TO THEM FIRST. They will likely say to go ahead, but if you do it yourself without contacting them first it will void the warranty and then you're screwed.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Yep call kahr

The FTF issue is common in the 9mm guns...........MAG troubles..............we've had several come back with the same trouble, and we swap em out on the mags.......no problems after that..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    How many rounds do you have through the gun?

Kahr themselves recommend a 200 round breaking-in period. My PM9 malfunctioned five or six times in the first 250 rounds, but has not since and I have a couple of thousand rounds through it now.

My P9 Covert or P45 haven't malfunctioned at all.

Put maybe a 100 or 200 more rounds (of different types and bullet weights) through the gun and be mindful about the mag you used if it starts malfunctioning again. It could be a mag issue...perhaps a rough barrel ramp which some Kahrs have exhibited (in particular with the PM9's).

Kahr will help you out if you have any more problems.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I would tell the dealer and this sounds stupid but make sure your thumb isnt bumpin the slide. This is common in smaller guns and sometimes will cause a fail to feed.
    CCW is not only a right its a responsability.

Joe

Okay don't panic,, like the other poster asked ,,how many rounds thru it so far,, the booklet does say it NEEDS a 200 round break in,, but I have found with their poly version some times more along the lines of 400 make it work well,,,

WHat kind of lube and how heavy did you lube it? Its not like glock,its more like the SIG,, lube it a little heavier than norm when shooting long strings,,

If after that its still doing it then you need to send it back

Roadrunner: I called Kahr this morning and was told to leave my name and number and that they will get back with me within a three day period.

srfl: As of this afternoon I have put 450 rounds through it and it is still FTF. I cleaned it for the second time this morning before taking it to the range. I applied the proper amount of lubricant to all the important parts of the K9 for proper functionability. I also have discovered after returning home from the range that the feed ramp has a imperfection on the ramp going across the grain of the metal. I feel a little better now because hopefully this is the problem, but if it isn't I will be persistent with Kahr until the problem is solved.

Dave James: I'm not going to panick my friend because I own a K40 with over 2,000 rounds and have never had a single malfunction. When I bought my K40 I put it through my own torture test. I put 1,100 rounds through it without cleaning and it didn't fail me. I used all kinds of ammo and all sorts of grains and it passed with flying kinds.

Sounds like a simple polish job is what the doctor ordered. Like was mentioned though, let the Kahr folks tell you to do so and it won't void your warrenty.

Even through it was a Kel-Tec and not a Kahr, I polished the ramp on that (was having trouble with hollow points (oh, this was the .40 ) and it was fine after that. It turned out to have a slight burr on the ramp that the nose of the HP was catching.

Good luck to you

Wayne

I was thinking the same thing Wayne but I know if I polish the ramp myself without talking to Kahr I will void my warranty, so I am not going to do that. I only had it for two days now and with this problem, IT'S GOING BACK TO KAHR!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links