what to buy

what to buy

This is a discussion on what to buy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i need a cary gun for summer. i cary a glock 17 right now but i know it is not going to be practical for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to buy

what to buy

i need a cary gun for summer. i cary a glock 17 right now but i know it is not going to be practical for summer when its pushing 100+. i want a semi auto only. i have a very tight budget and i live in california where you can only buy a gun approved for sale in california. a number of brands and models are not allowed . what should i get. i like the sig sas but at $999 it will take atleast 6 more monthes of saving money, which will leave me naked all summer. i figure i have about $600 max to work with but thats pushing it.

what kind of clothes do you plan to wear? I have a photographers vest I bought at Eddie Baur that has a pocket big enough to carry my full size 1911 and not print. The vest has mesh on back to keep cool. on hot days I wear vest and shorts nothing else. I balance the weight by carrying my wallet and check book and a knife on other side of vest.
    Buy a vest save money and carry your Glock

A fanny pack is always an option.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by raevan
    what kind of clothes do you plan to wear? I have a photographers vest I bought at Eddie Baur that has a pocket big enough to carry my full size 1911 and not print. The vest has mesh on back to keep cool. on hot days I wear vest and shorts nothing else. I balance the weight by carrying my wallet and check book and a knife on other side of vest.
    Buy a vest save money and carry your Glock
    at my young age wearing a vest or fanny would stick out like a sore thumb.i am small 5'6 145 so full size is not really gonna cut it on the hip. durring the summer i generally wear surfer style shorts and a t or light jeans and a t. i am 21 and and most people a spend time with are my age. you all know how us youth dress.

Since you already have a glock 17 how about a glock 26 in same calibre. If its an approved handgun

Get a good holster for IWb and carry the Glock 17 i carried a 17 and 1911 all summer last year..

Also if you dont wanna go that way look at a 26 or a really small Kahr since ya said semi uto only those are about your choices

Or that new Skyy everyone seem to be raving about it lately i still havent seen one in anything but pics

Id have to say i agree with rocknocker on getting the g26. You can use the higher capacity mags from your g-17 for a reload.
    I myself have a Glock 27 for summer carry and its great for concealment in hot weather. The g-26 is the exact same size and will serve you well.

HARDCORE

I'd go with the G26: Same ammo, same platform, same manual of arms, and its in your price range. That minimizes investment in time, ammo, study, training and all that stuff, and lets you concentrate on shooting. My wife and I have a 17 and a 26, and I shoot both to stay familiar with it. Good luck!

At the other end of the spectrum, and within your price range, you could "pocket" a Keltec or Seecamp .32 or .380. Everyone is different- I sweat a lot, and have occassioanlly "printed" with jean shorts, by the dry outline of the IWB holster (Glock 19).

i went to the local gun shop today. I looked at a bunch of pistols. hk compact, sig sas, glock 26,and a ton of 1911 compacts. after about a hour i choose the kimber compact cdp. out the door price was $900. my uncle has a long history with the owner so he is going to let me make payments on the $400 i still owe.

I would go with whatever fits most comfortbly in your hand and on your person and a round that you can afford to practice with.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

The Kel-Tec P3AT is a great carry gun for spring, summer, fall, and/or winter. With the belt clip you can hide it just about anywhere on your body. And you can also have one reload with you. Yes, I know that most peoples do not like a 380 auto for defense. But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one. You will see that some have had problems with the first generation of P2AT’s, but the second generation are must better. But it does not matter which generation you get, you need to fire 500 round down range to break in the gun. But you would do this with any gun that you would carry. A 380 auto in hand is better than two .45’s back home.

frankmako

Go East young man ! Go East!I wouldnt give them my Tax dollars
    I love .45's!

Lead Moderator
    The 19 should hide easy enough. try IWB, wear your t shirt untucked. I do this , but tuck in near the belt buckle. it makes access easier and doesn't look out of place.
    Otherwise consider a G 26 .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Check out the skyy, and you'll have enough left over for Eric to make you a holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links