$500

$500

This is a discussion on $500 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got up to $500 to spend on a gun for conceal... Any advice on good guns in that price range? It will be my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: $500

$500

I got up to $500 to spend on a gun for conceal... Any advice on good guns in that price range? It will be my first pistol iv bought... Thanks!

My buddy has an Ruger SR9 that he enjoys. Price tag here is about 400 bucks new. Slim yet comfortable to shoot. You have very many options open to you. I personally love the Springfield Armory XD Subcompact. You should go shopping and handle different weapons to find what YOU like best. You have to get something that you like, don't just get it because everyone tells you it's the best.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Go for .45 and try the Glock-36...thinner grip of all the other Glocks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Definitely go to your local gun dealer and handle the pistols that are in your price range. See if they have gun range pistols that you can shoot to see what the perceived recoil is of the models you are considering. A pistol that I love may fell horrible in your hands.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

A premium gun in that price range is any Glock. A Glock is the most reliable gun you can find. Sure the beauty is in the eye of the beholder with these guns - but they sure do their job.

Glock is the best for that money...I would suggest a Glock 19.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Try them all, don't JUST take our word for it. I'm partial to CZ myself...
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    I really like my XD's 4" and sub-compact bith in .40 s&w, though the 9mm would be cheaper to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Glock!

G26 or G27
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Head to your local gun dealer and handle em all. Dont listen to anyone here. Only you know what you should carry.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

S&W 642

Buy something that you will actually carry and not something that you may try carrying.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    There are tons of choices out there, go down to a gun shop and handle as many pistols and revolvers as you can that fit within your budget. I think for 500 dollars, you'll find yourself looking at Rugers, some used Glocks and XDs, and other polymer framed handguns.

Since this will be your first handgun, I also might suggest you find a range that rents guns. I myself went through a very expensive process of finding the right carry gun for me, and finally settled on the Glock 19. There are no shooting ranges that rents guns in my area. You may also want to look into taking some sort of basic handgun class if you have never shot one before.

I might also advise against getting a small lightweight revolver for a first handgun, they can be difficult to shoot, but it probably will be something you'll carry more than a larger gun. I am willing to put up with the discomfort of carrying a gun. Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable and it never has been for me, but it has been comforting. Find the right holster and belt, and you'll be set.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

First of all I am not a Glock fan, but yes they are reliable. There are many choices for that $500 price tag and you owe it to yourself to check out the field. I like S&W, Springfield, and Ruger. The Springfield XD40 subcompact I own will stack up against the Glock any time.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Go to a gun shop that offers a good selection and see what feels good in your hand if there's a range that rents pistols pick the top two or three you like,it's money well spent.Buy a good holster for pistol you pick it well make carrying
    experience a positive outing.

Just depends on what caliber you want to carry, what type firearm you like (revolver-semi), how you plan on carrying, ect.

In a 45 I'd suggest a RIA 1911. In a revolver though I have a Taurus 85UL myself I'd suggest one of the little Smith and Wesson revolvers. I have a Glock 26 and like it allot even though it is blocky it conceals well. But Glocks will generally run over the $500 mark.

Try to handle as many as you can before buying. Every ones preferences are different so its hard to say. So JMO on what I'd do.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links