kahr CW9 question??

This is a discussion on kahr CW9 question?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i know the kahr CW9 is a light and thin 9mm pistol but how reliable are they? Any common problems or issues with these guns? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kahr CW9 question??

kahr CW9 question??

i know the kahr CW9 is a light and thin 9mm pistol but how reliable are they? Any common problems or issues with these guns? i've heard it's kinda hit and miss,either 100% reliable or very problem prone? thanks in advance for responding
    Last edited by crue2009; June 18th, 2009 at 03:07 AM.

2. Remove Ads

wpk
    I carry my cw9 every day. I've put about 600 or so rounds through it, both fmj and my carry ammo (federal hst) and I haven't had any issues with it at all, I trust mine completely.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I don't have a CW9 but do have the K9. After several hundred rounds it has been 100% reliable. The recoil is a bit more stout than your typical 9mm, something you might want to consider.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    My wife and I both carry CW9s. She has about 800 rounds through hers and I have about 500 through mine with no problems.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    i know the kahr CW9 is a light and thin 9mm pistol but how reliable are they? Any common problems or issues with these guns? i've heard it's kinda hit and miss,either 100% reliable or very problem prone? thanks in advance for responding
    There were some QA issues with early versions. If you're buying new, they are very reliable. Do your research if you're buying used. There are some well-documented serial number "cutoffs" that are useful for determining which used guns to buy and which to stay away from. I'd highly suggest visiting the Kahr forums on the Glock site for a lot of good info:

Kahr Club - Glock Talk

I have several hundred rounds through both my CW9 and PM9. The PM9 has been flawless; the CW9 had one misfeed in the first hundred rounds due to my own stupidity. I implicitly trust both of them!
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianko View Post
    There were some QA issues with early versions. If you're buying new, they are very reliable. Do your research if you're buying used. There are some well-documented serial number "cutoffs" that are useful for determining which used guns to buy and which to stay away from.

I've not come across any well documented serial number "cutoff" reports. Please share that info or provide a reference link. I participate on Glock Talk and do not recall that being there.

My CW9, purchased about a year ago has had numerous light strikes, both with the original striker spring and a replacement.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    My CW 40 has been flawless, great CCW handgun.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

When I first bought my CW9 (used), I had light primer strikes. Rather than send it back to Kahr, I took it to a gunsmith. He flushed out the firing pin channel with cleaner and re-lubed the gun. I haven't experienced any problems since.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Mines got over 600 rounds through it with NO problems. My wife loves the gun also. If she could figure out a way to carry it instead of the LCP she'd steal it from me for sure. It has to have the sweetest DAO trigger out there. I wish it fit my front pocket better but oh well. That's why crossbreed...ect are out there.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

I have a CW45, and I am very impressed with the size and fuction of the pistol.

That said, I have had trouble with HSM ammunition. Just a heads up. The CW's have a rather tight chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by brianko View Post
    There were some QA issues with early versions. If you're buying new, they are very reliable. Do your research if you're buying used. There are some well-documented serial number "cutoffs" that are useful for determining which used guns to buy and which to stay away from. I'd highly suggest visiting the Kahr forums on the Glock site for a lot of good info:

Kahr Club - Glock Talk

I have several hundred rounds through both my CW9 and PM9. The PM9 has been flawless; the CW9 had one misfeed in the first hundred rounds due to my own stupidity. I implicitly trust both of them!
    thanks everyone for responding...i did read many of the Khar threads on Glock Talk,lots of good info on there..it does seem somewhat true,you either get one that's perfectly reliable right out of the box or one that's going to be a headache and sent back to Kahr several times for repairs? very appealing handguns though,feel good in the hand,lightweight,very thin and priced around $400..i'm guessing the CW9's that are currently at gun shops should be reliable without issues..

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I've not come across any well documented serial number "cutoff" reports. Please share that info or provide a reference link. I participate on Glock Talk and do not recall that being there.
    It's been a while since I bought my PM9, and I didn't bookmark the information I found while researching. However, the serial number cutoffs are out there, you just have to search for them. For instance, here are a couple that address various PM9 issues, right on GlockTalk:

Kahr Barrel Recall Notice!!! - Page 2 - Glock Talk
    Kahr Barrel Recall Notice!!! - Glock Talk
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

Having owend a cw9 recently I found it very reliable with all types of ammo I will be in the market for another one very soon

Love the Kahr!

I totally enjoy my CW9, I've put almost 700 rounds through it without a hitch. I actually bought it after spending almost a thousand dollars on my Para because it was too wide for my likings, and now I carry it over the Hawg any day. Good pistol for a great price.
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

VIP Member
    My CW9 has been reliable after the first 100 rounds, but that's my fault. I bought it and went straight to the range. It only had a couple of ftf in the last 20 rounds. A slight tap on the back of the slide brought it into battery. When I got it home it was filthy.

Once I cleaned and lubed it... it's never missed a beat.

It and my 642 are my primary summer carry guns.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links