Need a pistol for IWB Crossbreed Supertuck Carry

This is a discussion on Need a pistol for IWB Crossbreed Supertuck Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to think that smaller, lighter, thinner was better for carry. That's before I actually had given thought as to how I would carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a pistol for IWB Crossbreed Supertuck Carry

I used to think that smaller, lighter, thinner was better for carry. That's before I actually had given thought as to how I would carry and what method would be be comofrtable/realistic as well as what caliber would I feel comfortable with. While pocket guns are cool and all, I've decided that IWB 40SW on up is the way to to go - for me.

Unfortunately, that realization has caused a paradigm shift I wasn't ready to handle. Now, all the medium framed semis that used to seem huge in comparisons to the P3AT, now are just as viable options for comfortable carry due to the supertuck. So now, I am left in a void where I have no idea what would be comfortable and reliable enough to stake my life on.

So basically I need some recommendations on what to get to carry in a crossbreed supertuck. I have considered the sig 239, sig 250, SC 1911s, Kahr PMs, Glock SCs, XDSC, but it would be impossible for me to test run all these pistols in the holster, so I need to hear form you what's comfortable. Is the glock too thick? is the 1911 too heavy? is the Kahr too small? Basically, in a crossbreed supertuck, what's comfortable and what's not.

Administrator
    Did you already buy a holster and now need to find a gun to fit it? Usually, people buy a gun they are comfortable with, then find a holster that suits them and the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not exactly.

I've decided that IWB is the method I will carry and I am leaning towards the Crossbreed Supertuck as the chosen holster.

I am trying to determine what gun would be comfortable to carry in this type of setup (IWB) since I have no experience and it would be impossible for me to test-carry all the potentials.

I need some input from those who already carry via this method and more specifically from those who carry in a supertuck, what they think would be comofrtable. Is a 4 in XD comfortable and concealable in this method or would a 1911SC be a better choice. What should my primary concern be - the width of the gun? The weight of the gun? is a Glock too fat? is a Sig 239 too heavy. I am basically trying to herd in the options and then I will narrow them down from there. The problem right now is that my field of options is soo large, I need some criteria to begin cutting some of the unrelaistic options out.

Administrator
    Width and grip length are the big items to look out for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Smaller grip length being more desirable, I assume?

Administrator
    Yup, but again, some other variables come into play there as well. I.E; body type, dress style and holster position. I still say choose the gun and work from there. I really think its a mistake to work it backwards.

If you want generic answers, I think a G27, an M&Pc or even an XDsc are good places to start. All are roughly the same size, and are very easy to conceal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry a xd40 sc in supertuck daily. I love it. I sometimes forget I have it on me.

I've been debating between a 1911 government that I own and buying a G19. Both have similar grip length, of course the G19 is a little shorter barrel wise and much lighter. Ammo capacity is also greater even though were talking 9mm vs .45 acp. I was 99% sure I was going to go with the G19 when the G26 option came up. Even smaller dimensions that the G19, less ammo capacity but stll more than the 1911. I thought about grip length and carrying the shorter
    G26 with the 10 round magazine with 15 rounders as back-ups. Then it came to me...why carry a gun with a shorter grip that I may be less accurate with for personal defense when I can conceal the larger grip. I think I will stick with the G19 and order the Crossbreed. Hell I've been concealing that 1911 in a Fobus OWB holster so far so good (untucked t-shirt or camp style shirt, carefull not to raise my right arm to high). Hope this helps.

Joker

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Daily carry: XD9SC (same frame as the .40) in a Supertuck. Very nice configuration and no worries about it being enough gun like you would experience with a P3AT.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I'm partial to my Kahr MK9... I carry at 1:30 appendix in a crossbreed qwikclip holster. I like the tactical advantages of appendix carry and it is very comfortable. Weight isn't a factor at all, to me it's barrel length then width. Kahrs are known for high quality subcompact too.

If you're looking for something in .40s&w, I would look at the Glock 23 or 27. The size is good for carrying in the Supertuck and if you join GSSF you can use the discount and pick one up for $398, so it comes out much cheaper than the XD, M&P or similar guns.

G30... Is there any other option?
    IMO, .45 ACP is better for carry in urban areas. Big & slow, less risk of overpenetration while having tried and true stopping power. 10 +1 rounds should be adequate in most situations.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

EW3
    I've used both a Kahr MK9 and a Sig P239 in a Crossbreed Supertuck and they both worked well and were quite comfortable. They are both a little heavy for their size, but slim, and the Supertuck does a great job of supporting and holding them securely. Just make sure you also get a good belt like what I have; 1.5" Beltman.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

check out the PPS 40

i carry a PPS 9 in a crossbreed supertuck and it disappears with ANY of the three mag sizes.
    the 40 is the same size (minus one round per mag size)

For me, the Glock is too thick, but a 1911 is perfect for carry, especially a 4" or Commander size. Right now, my every day carry is a Kimber SIS Pro. Before that it was a Kimber CDP Pro. I notice almost no difference between the two, but the CDP is 7 or 8 ounces lighter.

I've posted these images before, but this is my every day set-up. I carry the SIS or Custom II in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. The VM II is very similar to the Supertuck as it spreads the loops out like snowshoes. Same as the outside the waistband Del Fatti LPS that I'll soon be picking up.

This style of holster makes carrying larger guns much easier than before. There's no shifting and no balance issues. In this 100 Corpus Christi and Austin heat I can easily get away with a pair of jeans or linen pants and a t-shirt or untucked button down.

I'm 5'8" and 160 to 165. I've never once had a problem with printing or comfort. I did add some mole skin from CVS to the backside of my IWB holsters to make it a little more comfortable against my skin.

I had a Crossbreed Supertuck that I used for about 4 or 5 months with my full size M&P 45. I tried something other than the 1911, but had to go right back, just not for me.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links