Detonic 1911's Good or Bad?

This is a discussion on Detonic 1911's Good or Bad? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you have any knowledge about Detonics 1911 pistols? TopGlock sent an e-mail featuring these 1911's and I have never heard of them. ...

Thread: Detonic 1911's Good or Bad?

Detonic 1911's Good or Bad?

Do any of you have any knowledge about Detonics 1911 pistols? TopGlock sent an e-mail featuring these 1911's and I have never heard of them. For 700 clams it seems to good to be true. Good or bad I would like your opinions on them so let loose.

Here is a link to the ad.

TopGlock.com: Detonics USA Hand Guns (Pistols)
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    I had two of the original Combat Master, fine little pistols.
    Haven't seen any of them from this third maker.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I always heard they were the Holy Grail of Concealed Carry weapons. Now there are some comparable pieces out now days but they were the first and by all accounts, I ever heard they were great. Detonics as a company has had a checkered past. I believe this will be the fourth time they have risen from the ashes.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

They sound like they are quality built but the fact the company has had a troubled past concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    How was the accuracy with the three inch barrel?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

OD*
    Accuracy was excellent for the pistol's intentions, of close range self-defence. I don't recall shooting them much past seven yards, you could easily keep your shots within a silver dollar.

~ Tiger McKee

No experience myself , but do wish I had a Combat Master. Looks to be hte perfect carry gun.

Accuracy was excellent for the pistol's intentions, of close range self-defence. I don't recall shooting them much past seven yards, you could easily keep your shots within a silver dollar.
    That to me is very good at seven yards.

Thanks for your input.
    rk

NRA Member

OD*
    You're welcome Sir.

~ Tiger McKee

George Hill (The Ogre at Madogre.com) did an excellent review of the Detonics Combat Master. You can read it here:
    Navigation

Sounds like a neat little 1911. If you're going to go small, it might as well be a .45ACP.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I traded my Glock 19 for one made in Seatle, WA. As far as I can tell, that was the first place they were made. I love mine, shoots everything I feed it. It certainly carries easier than the full size 1911 or the Glock 19.

LOL, yep believe I'd trade my Glock 26 for one given the chance. Think you made a great trade.

Actually, I belive this is the fourth maker: Seattle, New Detonics (with Robbie Barrkmann in AZ), Pendergrass GA, and now IL.

I have small hands, so the short grip doesn't bother me. Highly concealable and mine is reliable. There are some fakes that said Detonics, and I don't know all the in's and out's. They are not generally reliable. The factory sells Metalform mags now, which are all I use. I have no issues with them.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Administrator
    That's news to me.
    I owned one of the first early ones. It was a great handgun. I'm sorry that I ever traded it away.
    Mine was beautifully factory hand fit and it was flawless regarding function for such a chopped little carry .45.

The one GREAT thing about Detonics was their recoil spring set-up and their barrel configuration minus the barrel bushing that really worked to allow such a radically shortened large caliber semi-auto to feed ultra-reliably.

If they are now being made as well as the original ones then I would buy one again.

I heard that the later Detonics handguns that were being produced when Ahern took over Detonics were not all that great. But, I never actually shot one of those later ones so my statement is just hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Actually, I belive this is the fourth maker: Seattle, New Detonics (with Robbie Barrkmann in AZ), Pendergrass GA, and now IL.

I have small hands, so the short grip doesn't bother me. Highly concealable and mine is reliable. There are some fake magazines that said Detonics, and I don't know all the in's and out's. They are not generally reliable. The factory sells Metalform mags now, which are all I use. I have no issues with them.
    Edited to add: I added the word "magazines" to the previous paragraph to make it make more sense.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Links