brought my new Kahr CW9 home today

This is a discussion on brought my new Kahr CW9 home today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; brought my new CW9 home..going to see if i can get to the range next week to break it in.manual recommends 200 rounds to completely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brought my new Kahr CW9 home today

brought my new CW9 home..going to see if i can get to the range next week to break it in.manual recommends 200 rounds to completely break the gun in.it also says the gun should be thoroughly cleaned before shooting it for the first time.would this be concidered a basic field strip/cleaning?

New? Yee ha ! A new member of the family.

Remove the slide and barrel, give it a good wipe down and relube. Take it to the range / sandlot for it's first break in.

50 shots - clean it.
    50 shots - clean it.
    100 shots - clean it.
    100 shots - clean it
    200 shots - clean it.

There you have your basic Kahr break in. When I say "clean it" I mean remove the slide, remove the barrel, give is a thorough cleaning and a good relube.

I love my P40 ... love it ... but it was only so-so for the first few hundred rounds. Don't complain about the pistol until you have a minimum of 400 rounds through it. You'll notice it's reliability increase dramatically towards the end of your break in.

Only use genuine Kahr mags. I've tried other brands of mags and all they did was turn my gun into a jammomatic. No problem with genuine mags.

You've got yourself a sweet carry piece. Take good care of it and it will take good care of you.

Congrats on the purchase! I really wanted to pick one of those up but they are so scarce around my parts. I ended up with a Subcompact XD9 (great weapon btw) but am keeping an eye open for a CW9. Enjoy yours!

Fess

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Love mine in 40 !
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

I just put the 1140th round through my CW9 yesterday. I had no break in problems but did disassemble when new and gave it a thorough cleaning a lube. Most of the ammo through this pistol has been reloads with cast bullets, either the Lee 124gr RN or Lee 105gr SWC. Feeding has been 100%. Don't forget to feed the first round out of the mag from slide lock as per the manual.

I did have a light primer strike on a Winchester primer on one of my reloads yesterday. The round fired on the next time through. (And, nope, it wasn't a high primer. I check every round for that problem.) I have read that there are some occasional striker spring problems with Kahr's resulting in light strikes and I think I'll write Kahr and have them send me an extra.

I've disassembled the slide components twice. The first time, I found brass flakes in the firing pin tunnel. There was a slight burr around the firing pin hole on the breech face and I used some very fine grit sandpaper (600 ?) on a Popsicle stick to smooth the breech face. I cleaned the tunnel today and still found brass specks. Not enough to cause a function problem, IMO. I though perhaps the very slight burr around the firing pin hole in the breech face was shaving some brass but after smoothing this area, I don't have a clue as to where this brass is coming from. If you remove the back of the slide, be careful that the plunger for the extractor doesn't get away from you. (Thank goodness I put a sheet over my 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights. The plunger part would have been impossible to find otherwise)
    Cloudpeak

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    All Kahr's are made to very tight tolerances thats why the breakin period is needed. The CW series guns are a great value in a hi quality CCW gun.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    All Kahr's are made to very tight tolerances thats why the breakin period is needed. The CW series guns are a great value in a hi quality CCW gun.
    will update after shooting,thanks

A couple reference items worth noting:

Video - Kahr Assembly / Reassembly
    KAHR / Disassembly & Reassembly

Lube Diagram:

Don't ya' just feel like a 'kid' when you bring home that new firearm?

Enjoy your new pistola!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great pistol!

I love my CW9, so I know you will enjoy yours as well. Hope it treats you well!
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Don't ya' just feel like a 'kid' when you bring home that new firearm?

Enjoy your new pistola!
    Yeah, it's like when you got new sneakers and you honestly believed you can run faster!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Congrats on the new weapon ! I love mine. Been totally flawless. I bought it in hopes of pocket carry but the grip is just a little too big for me anyway. I still shoot it a lot and carry it IWB every once in a while. You will be very pleased with it. Best DAO trigger I have pulled also.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Mine has been a joy as well. The grip is a tad long for the size of the weapon in terms of concealing it, but it is a fantastic tool, it was dead on out of the box and has never malfunctioned in the 500 or so rounds I've run through it.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

That's a great little gun. I used to carry mine alot. It just disappears on the body. I'm now carrying larger weapons but the CW9 is plenty for self defense, especially with a spare mag. Some time ago I took a file to mine and softened all the sharp edges. It took quite a while but I really liked the results.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links