Random Thoughts...Old School Style

This is a discussion on Random Thoughts...Old School Style within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My handgun arsenal has boiled down to 4 guns for a number of years now. Two Colt 1911's a Series 70 Gov't and a Series ...

Thread: Random Thoughts...Old School Style

My handgun arsenal has boiled down to 4 guns for a number of years now.
    Two Colt 1911's a Series 70 Gov't and a Series 80 (1st year production) Officer's Model..both in 45ACP,of course.
    My remaining pistols are both 9mm Glocks, a G19 and G26.
    these were my duty/off-duty guns at the old job in NY.
    Unfortunately, NO revolvers (all my Smiths foolishly sold off and missed).
    So now I think of what my future "carry guns" will be.
    The Colt's,especially the tricked OM, may become my "winter gun" (for what passes as winter in GA!) and the Glocks, with a new lean back to the G19, will cover the rest of the year.
    I want a J-frame again as a BUG, but I have never owned an Airweight, so I might go for a used 640 (to replace my old one) with no-lock or a new 40 if the price is right.
    I do love the SP101 but, that seems more a "stand alone" EDC rather than a BUG. What do the experts here on the site think of my thoughts?
    Should i just go Glock all year long and keep the Colts as "safe queens" or bust them out?
    It seems that the longer you DON'T carry a gun the harder it is to get back into strapping it on.
    Anyway, love to hear some opinions!

THANKS
    Last edited by QKShooter; June 20th, 2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Space post and remove all bold
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

It sounds like you have a few nice carry guns already. The glocks can certainly take the punishment of daily carry. Revolvers? I've had them on and off for 25 years, always go back to the J-frame. Model 60 is my staple. Ditto for the 642, internal hammer. That is the best that I have found. Yesterday, I picked up a new carry revolver, the SW 386 Nite Guard. It is an N frame, scandium-alloy 357 in matt black. Real old school in looks and feel. Good luck with your choice.

Oh, what method of carry do you plan to use?

If you can carry your 1911 as comfortably as your G19 then go ahead and use it for your winter carry gun. I don't think it matters what you carry as long as it's comfortable, concealable and you trust it to go bang everytime. I honestly can't comment on a revolver as a BUG, never owned one, do plan to eventually.
    Just never saw the point to limit the amount of rounds I can put on BG when todays small semi-auto's are plenty reliable. For instance I carry a Kel Tec PF9, 7+1 of 9mm, plenty powerful and two more rounds than a revolver and still fits comfortably in my pocket.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

My Glocks are safed 95% of the time because I've been spoiled by the weight and ease of carry of my Airweight. My 442 is always on and really comfortable to carry, I can't say that about my Glocks.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Who cares what you carry as long as you get in the habit of carrying as often as possible. A weapon in the safe when you need it on your person is of no use at all....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

You're right about the SP101. It's hefty and doesn't lend itself to the BUG role. The Smiths, especially the Airweights are very easy to carry due to their light weight and would make great back ups. You can save money by getting a new Ruger LCR as this weighs only a fraction of an ounce more than a Scandium 340. The LCR is ca. $400 vs $900 for the Smith. As for your other pistols, I'm more inclined to carry a gun without manual safeties to disengage in the moment of truth. I don't believe it is necessary to carry .45ACP as I once did. That G19 of yours is darn near the perfect carry pistol -light, interchangeable mags and very controllable. Oh, and did I mention light?! My current carry is a full-sized CZ SP-01 and there are days I miss the Glock at my side.

Just keep carrying. The 1911 are nice but heavy and is the extra tens of grain weight pr bullet really that much more effective? I don't think so (in actual use).

Be Safe.

Administrator
    The Colt Officers Model is a great daily carry firearm.
    You would be well served with any of your mentioned choices though.
    and as you are probably already aware...a S&W air-weight is an absolute breeze to carry.

Oh...BTW - Please don't use all bold when you post.
    I took your original post off bold just in case you are wondering why it looks different.

I tend to stick with one platform over a period of time.

BTW, I'm no expert, but here's my opinion. I would pick a platform, revolver, Glock, 1911 and decide which one I want my primary arm to be. If you decide on the revolver that's cool. I too like the J-Frame size guns and if you go that route I would give serious consideration to the new Ruger LCR over the S&W.

The reason for the Ruger over the S&W? Because unless you get one of the non Hillary Hole Smiths you are stuck with having a device on your gun that has proven to fail. I'm referring to the "lock" that the company that now owns S&W installs on almost all of their new revolvers.

I don't like to change platforms on a frequent basis for off duty carry, but that's just me. I do change platforms as far as work/off work, and they are usually different as I get no say in what I carry at work. Last year I was carrying revolvers off duty, and had for the previous two years. The only thing about carrying revolvers is, I always made sure I carried more than one.

Heck, I carry a BUG most times, except maybe when taking the trash to the curb. If you really like the 1911 I would suggest that with a J-Frame as a BUG. I have used a double action revolver as a BUG in my off duty carry for so long that it's second nature to me to have and use one. There is also a lot of merit to a Glock 19/26 combo too.

Just my $0.02.

Biker

Hey Old Grunt;

I'm so very old school that, if I had your guns, I'd crank up the two Colts, give at least one of the Glocks the heave-ho in favor of a good "traditional" no-lock Smith & Wesson and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    The reason for the Ruger over the S&W? Because unless you get one of the non Hillary Hole Smiths you are stuck with having a device on your gun that has proven to fail. I'm referring to the "lock" that the company that now owns S&W installs on almost all of their new revolvers.
    What about the LCR's internal lock system?

I have read that it does not interfere with the fire control system but I would be curious how it works and stands the test of time.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I've carried just about everything you've listed at one time or another. Nothing wrong with anything on your list.
    Theres something to be said for picking one type of firearm and sticking with it, be it DA revolvers, "Safe action" Glocks or your SA Colts.
    I've been totin' Colt 1911's for some time now, but have quite a like for S&W revolvers. My misspent youth is catching up to me and lighter is better these days. I'm carrying a lightweight Colt Commander but really miss my little Colt Defender (Had to sell it at the time). I consider the Defender the perfect CCW piece in the 1911 type.
    The back of my mind has been considering a revolver setup. A slightly modified S&W Model 12 with a 442/642 backup. My first handgun was a sweet Model 66. I carried S&W revolvers in the security business and know what a person can do with some training and practice. FYI, I won't have a S&W with the lock. Each to their own, I reckon', and its my money.
    Good luck in whatever you choose.
    Wanted to add that theres nothing wrong with your Glock lineup either. Sounds like you've got some experience with em'. Even so, a little airweight j-frame in the mix sure couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The Colt Officers Model is a great daily carry firearm.
    You would be well served with any of your mentioned choices though.
    and as you are probably already aware...a S&W air-weight is an absolute breeze to carry.

Oh...BTW - Please don't use all bold when you post.
    I took your original post off bold just in case you are wondering why it looks different.
    Sorry about the BOLD....a word or two is ok though??
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Thanks to all for the great comments! In the day since I posted this tread I gave the issue some more thought. If I started from scratch, I'd eliminate the compact versions of both my auto platforms. Bye-bye Officer's Model and Glock 26. Instead I'd have 2 Glock 19's and 2 Colt Series 70 Gov't Models. Set-up the same.. I'd have TRUE back-ups if one pistol type went dowm. Add 2 J-Frame Smiths(mix it up a little here...One Steel frame and one Airweight)and the EDC arsenal would be complete. Add a either a DA or SA Ruger 44 Mag as a trail/hunting gun and a good quality .22LR and I'd be complete in the handgun department. Spare mags and parts and all would be good in the world! I like the idea of keeping the different platforms to a minimum and having the ability to have go to an exact duplicate if one gun is in the shop etc. Any thoughts?? THANKS for indulging my gun fantasties!!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Links