Is 380 a viable option right now?

This is a discussion on Is 380 a viable option right now? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am visiting the family till tomorrow and thought I would look and see if I could find a 380 pocket gun. Everywhere that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 380 a viable option right now?

Is 380 a viable option right now?

I am visiting the family till tomorrow and thought I would look and see if I could find a 380 pocket gun. Everywhere that I looked, nobody had any 380. The only guns that I found were a Kel-Tec in 32 (which I did find ammo for, but don't think the 32 is good enough for defense) and a NAA Guardian in 380. There was also a Beretta Tomcat in 25, which I would think would be even worse than the 32. At Gander Mountain the guy said that the see it all the time but it usually flies off the shelf within the first 2 hours.

I would like a LCP, but they seem to be almost as scarce. I will be making the trip back to Florida in July and I read about Pickett Weaponry from retsupt99 and plan on calling them before I pass by. The Gander Mountain here said that they get them sometimes and that all I would have to do is reserve it and they would hold it for up to 30 days. I also contacted someone off of gunbroker to see if I can pick one and and have it transferred....

I also looked at a S&W 442 airweight. It was a BEAUTIFUL revolver, but it couldn't work in my back pocket. I plan on getting a wallet holster and putting it in my rear pocket. What seems to be the general consensus about 380? Is the NAA Guardian for $475 a good price?

2. Remove Ads

I haven't been able to find ammo for my LCP for like 6 months. I haven't looked REALLY hard, but it's scarce. Something to consider...
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

My opinion is,buy the 442!

Buy a Mika round cut pocket holster,loose fitting pants with deep pockets,and carry in your front pocket on your dominant side!If you need the ultimate in concealment occasionally,you can slip the mika into your waistband in the appendix position,and the traction strip on the holster holds it in place quite well with a belt over it!

I've owned an unfired LCP for months now. Can't find any ammo for it at all, not locally anyway. Go for something you already have ammo for, if you have any.

I'd get the .380 (if that's what you want), you'll find some ammo. Most/many reputable gun shops keep some .380 stash for customers who buy .380's. Just ask.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The NAA is pretty heavy compared to the Kel_Tec but that's about all that I know. I own a P3AT and I like it very much but my PF-9 has replaced it as my pocket gun. Not much larger than the P3AT but in 9mm.
    .380 is a viable option but ammo availability right now would be a concern. You will need some practice rounds along with some carry rounds and there is not too much out there. What is out there, the price is pretty high compared to 9mm or .38 Special.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    I also looked at a S&W 442 airweight. It was a BEAUTIFUL revolver, but it couldn't work in my back pocket. I plan on getting a wallet holster and putting it in my rear pocket. What seems to be the general consensus about 380? Is the NAA Guardian for $475 a good price?
    Your right about the 642 riding in your back pocket....I couldn't do it. Mine rides in my front pocket. A friend of mine just bought a new p3at for 280 out the door. Mine has been flawless. Don't know if he's shot his or not. But the price difference between the kel-tec and the guardian is quite a bit. I'm sure there are some that wouldn't own a kel-tec but I have 3 that have been problem free. I have a LCP that's been a keeper also. But the ammo is an issue. I found some at a local wally world the other day but you have to be there when they un-pack it. I also ordered some from Double Tap last month and it was delivered in 5 days. Don't know there availability right now though. I personally think the 380 has a definite role in CC. I'd go for the p3at and search for ammo. You need to put the wife/girlfriend/daughters...ect on ammo alert at wally world. I got mine going to the ammo counter before they start their shopping if I'm not with em.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

380 ACP and 38 special are REALLY hard to find locally right now.

But, the Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec p3at, and S&W J Frames make great pocket guns.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

If the 380 is what you want, get it! I bought an LCP and it is a great bug or pocket gun. I have snooped around and have been able to pick up ammo for it both locally and on line.

Armydad

Armydad are you in Fayetteville?

I own a Sig Sauer P232 in 380. I can get 380 acp FMJ from Georgia Ammo and I just got an order of Hornady and Corbon JHP for self defense from Midway USA. I don't shoot a ton of 380 so it's not a problem for me. If you need JHP, order from MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes and expect a 45 day wait. Georgia Ammo is much farther behind in their orders but they make 380 acp FMJ.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I sold my .380 some time ago, but even then it was scarce, and I'm told it hasn't improved yet, but should soon.

If you're willing to go .380, don't automatically discount the .32. Balistically it's not that far off the .380
    Just practice that shot placement!

I have a Guardian in .32 as a BUG or for days it's all I can conceal. I like it. It IS heavy though compared to the poly pocket wonders, but beautifully built.

Regarding the .25 though...way down the scale from .380/.32. I had a friend say he wouldn't trust it to stop a PO'd hamster at 10 yards.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Forget the .380 and buy a "J" frame S&W. More powerful choices in ammo and a very reliable revolver that handles recoil much better that a LCP or Kel-Tec in .380. JMHO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Get what will fill the bill for you better. Like someone said 380 and 38 is hard to come by right now. But if you keep watching you can score some ammo. I have about 300 rounds right now and am watching for more. I only have about 50 rounds of 38 special.

.380 is good enough if stocked with premium defensive ammo. Ironically, I can get premium defensive ammo any time I want (in .380) even though I haven't found practice ammo in 7 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links