S&W nightguard .357 which one?

This is a discussion on S&W nightguard .357 which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested in S&W's night guard series of revolvers in .357 magnum and was wondering the best one to get? I like the 386 7 ...

Thread: S&W nightguard .357 which one?

S&W nightguard .357 which one?

I'm interested in S&W's night guard series of revolvers in .357 magnum and was wondering the best one to get? I like the 386 7 shoot model but the 8 shot version model 327 looks nice as well. Are these guns built on L and N frames? Do you feel the 327's 8th round worth the extra size of the N frame?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Smile

I have the 649, a 5 shot 357. That was my choice after doing some research. It all depends on what your purposes are (nightstand, conceal, etc.) as to what works for you. I CC with it and the extra weight of the stainless makes the gun pretty nice to shoot.

Armydad

I have the 396 NG 5 shot in .44 special. Great gun!
    I wanted a larger bore in as much as I feel a bigger hole is better and the step down in rounds was not that much of a consideration in CCW situations.
    No matter which way you go the NG's are sweet.
    Very good double action pull through and the Xpress sights target dead on at 7 yd. with an excellent sight picture.

I just picked up the 386 version, L-frame. It is a 7 shooter, and a real nice one to have. I have shot a box through it to check for function and to see where it hits at 25 ft. It is light, 24 oz. I highly recommend it to anyone. I'm not sure how much bigger the N-frame is. I have been carrying mine all day for the past couple of days, morning to night, in the Smartcarry that I bought. I don't know it is there. I bought this to carry, and that is what it seems to be very good for.

Here is a photo or two.

Oh man I have wanted one of these bad for a while.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Several years ago I got caught up in the trend to produce Titanium Scandium guns and purchased a 386 Mountain Light

which was a 3" barrel and weighed in at about 26 oz. empty. It was a 7 shooter in 357/38 and was/is a nifty carry gun. The good news is that it shoots 38 special stuff quite easily and the bad new is that shooting 357 in it can be an "experience"!

Eventually this gun "morphed" into the Night Guard and the issues surrounding recoil are still pretty much the same. I changed out the original grips on the 386 for the grips that are issued on the 500 S&W magnum. The fit quite well out of the box and do quite well in taming recoil. On the other hand, the grips are somewht large and bulky and IMHO do not result in an easy concealed carry situation.

My 386 is a good shooter but it will never be a comfortable shooter in 357 magnum and neither will the Night Guards. You need to know this going in as it were and then make your choice accordingly. Good luck!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Dairycreek,
    You know I had read somewhere that the scandium guns were tough on recoil. I shoot a S&W 686P in .357 and find that it handles the round just fine. I guess if I pick up a NG, I should stick to .38 special, true?
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I shot a box of 357s this weekend. I did not find the recoil to be all that much. Snappy, but not at all harsh or painful.

Quote Originally Posted by drs1457 View Post
    Dairycreek,
    You know I had read somewhere that the scandium guns were tough on recoil. I shoot a S&W 686P in .357 and find that it handles the round just fine. I guess if I pick up a NG, I should stick to .38 special, true?
    I do, in fact, use 38+P's exclusively in my 386. The recoil of 357 mags is too difficult to control after a lot of rounds fired. A few? Okay! A lot? No deal!

A 686P is a totally different matter. It is a stainless steel revo and, as such, is much heavier with appreciably less recoil. This is a pic of my 686P "snubby" and firing it with 357 ammo is not a problem at all - much easier to shoot than the 386!

IMHO 357's which weigh 25 ounces or less are just too tough a deal for shooting a lot of 357 stuff. For me it just ain't no fun.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Links