Ergonomics with Carrying Ruger 9mm

This is a discussion on Ergonomics with Carrying Ruger 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a member of this forum for a little while and have been researching the best HD setup and gathering tips and "best practices" ...

Thread: Ergonomics with Carrying Ruger 9mm

Ergonomics with Carrying Ruger 9mm

I've been a member of this forum for a little while and have been researching the best HD setup and gathering tips and "best practices" for HD and Concealed Carry (I plan to get my CCW and my wife may do likewise). My wife and I have the same size hands (I'd blush here if I had a feminine side I guess ;-) ). A Ruger P95 fits just right and I find I can hold it on target; my wife has yet to try it out. My question is this: How's the Ruger P95 as a concealed-carry pistol? Seems like it'd be good but I don't know if it's easy to bring out, that sort of thing. What's it like for the women too?
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You said the P95 feels good and can hold it on target....have you test fired one yet? If not try that also.
    If its what you want then the next step in the ergonomics is where you'll carry, IWB/OWB, appendix, 3:00, behind the hip, forward cant, no cant.
    Then its up to you to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE with your setup.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

the ruger p series is a bit thick. dad caries his p90 and has no real problem with it. i've carried the p95dc a couple times in the holster for my xd. carries fine. reliability as far as i'm concerned is a non issue with mine. if you can handle the thickness you're golden. presents just as well as my other guns eventually i'll get a holster actually made for it. great carry gun though

I used to have a P89DC. The pistol was always reliable, fit my hand well, and shot well for me. Mind you I had this pistol long before concealed carry in my state. I enjoyed it while I had it...not quite sure why I still don't. It's just these pistols are a bit on the chunky side and won't do well for me and my CC techniques. If I still felt the need for a range gun or a truck gun, the Ruger P series would be it. Every pistol I have gets carry time now.

I have a Ruger P95 which has eaten many kinds of 9mm ammo and never had indigestion -- it has so far operated with complete reliability (after several hundred rounds). It's a bit thick and heavy, but the extra weight will make it a bit easier to shoot accurately, and also will dampen the felt recoil. The big question is whether you and/or your wife can find a workable way to carry it concealed. This depends on individual body contour; some people can, some can't (I can't, which is why I have a Kahr CW9 to carry). The P95 is still fun to shoot, though, and I probably shoot it more accurately than any other 9mm I have tried.

Zeko

I like my P95 but I use it mainly at the range and as a truck gun. I find it a bit large to try and carry, but I know some do.
    "The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" George Benard Shaw

Funny this thread comes up at this time.
    I exclusively carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, ....... until yesterday.

I spotted some surface rust where I was sweating against it and am taking care of that right now, so I put my P95 in the holster and have been carrying in the mean time.
    I hardly notice the difference, at least in the feel in the IWB holster.
    It is a good gun I have had for much longer than the Kimber. It shoots well and carries well too.
    It probably has a slightly larger "print" when/if it shows, bun I have found that nobody notices anyhow. (I could probably carry an M-1 Abrams Tank under my shirt and nobody would even care. Except the Army, (missing that tank.))
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Another P95 owner here. Like everyone said, reliable gun but heavy and thick. This is my HD gun and also my winter carry. During summer it's impossible for me to carry/conceal effectively. The only real way to determine what's right for you and your wife is trial and error. Try to find a friendly and customer oriented gun shop (does that even exist?) that will let you rent a P95 and try a holster or two.
    Mossberg 500A
    Savage 93R17 FV
    Ruger P95DC

Links