Which of the Airweights?

Which of the Airweights?

This is a discussion on Which of the Airweights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've grown tired of seeking the ultimate .380 pocket pistol. My history includes Kel-Tec, Ruger and Magnum Research. I'm ready to make one last purchase ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which of the Airweights?

Which of the Airweights?

I've grown tired of seeking the ultimate .380 pocket pistol. My history includes Kel-Tec, Ruger and Magnum Research. I'm ready to make one last purchase and I'm sold on the Smith&Wesson J Frame 5-shot in .38 special. I can purchase a 638 with the shrouded hammer (I think it's the Bodyguard model) for about $500 out the door.

How does this compare to the 642 and 442 or other J frames (many that I'm probably unfamiliar with) when it comes to reliability, trigger pull, concealability, recoil, etc.?

I'm very tempted to 'pull the trigger' one last time and add a revolver to my collection of G26 and G34 Glocks, which have proven to be absolutely reliable and accurate for many trouble-free rounds and lots of IDPA shoots.

Thanks for your input.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

You can't go wrong with any J frame S&W.Another choice would be one of the new Ruger LCR's.The LCR is what I bought to replace my S&W's.The trigger is much better on the Ruger and the recoil does not hurt as much.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

The 638 is DA/SA, were the 442 and 642 are DA only. I have never fired a 638 but assume it would have the same DA feel. I carry a 442 95% of the time with federal nyclads.
    Hope this helps.

I love my 637.

An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I prefer the 442 or 642. No exposed hammer for me. Makes pocket carry a breeze. The LCR looks good too.

Of those, I like the 442.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

After my experience with two Ruger LCPs, I'm nervous about that company. I plan to keep one of them after both were recalled, but if it hiccups even once, it's on the road with its brother, which was sold about a month ago with the caveat to the purchaser that 'it's a little finicky with the ammo selection'.

Frankly, at times I think it would just be best to carry the G26 everywhere and wear my tuckable Galco or SmartCarry and accept that it's a little awkward and may print a little bit. Main thing is ... they always go bang in my experience with two of them over the last few years. And I compete in IDPA meets with mine right now and shoot it as well as many fellow shooters with larger guns and longer barrels.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

My EDC is either a Kimber or a Glock...but I also have a 'once in a while pocket gun'...a S&W 637...great little powerhouse.
    Any S&W snubbie will work for ya'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a 442, so that's my choice. Great gun, but I have a M&P 340 on the wish list.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

The 638 is a nice gun and does give you the choice of a SA shot if you want it...but my second choice would be a 442/642. There also is a 438, the balck version of the 638.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

DrJ
    Just bought a 642 as a "sometimes" pocket gun for me, and hopefully an EDC gun for my wife when her CWP comes in. I've only put about 25 rounds through it so far, but I have to say I REALLY like it! It doesn't kick as bad as I thought it would. My wife had no trouble shooting it. For a pocket and/or purse gun, I think it makes sense to go hammerless, and the DAO probably makes it a little safer to carry. Just my 2 cents. You can't go wrong with any of the S&W snubbies.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    642 with ct grips.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I love my 637.

wow...VERY NICE GRIPS!!!!

from where??? and how much????

(I love my 637 too)

surv

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    642 with ct grips.
    +1 on the 642 CT. Looooonnnnggg and stiff trigger pull, but very smooth. Great pocket gun. As others have said, and IMO, you can't go wrong on any S&W revolver. I keep 158gr. +P Buffalo Bore HP's in mine for SD, and the little airweight really kicks. I wouldn't want to shoot 'em for very long.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    wow...VERY NICE GRIPS!!!!

from where??? and how much????

(I love my 637 too)

surv
    Thanks, I love them too. Absolutely amazing quality. The closeup of the medallion in my avatar is from these grips. They cost about $75 plus shipping but were worth every cent.

I ordered them off of fleabay a couple of years or so ago. Searching through my email I found the seller. This guy:

eBay My World - clipsngrips

He doesn't seem to have any with the checkering like mine for sale right now, but there are a couple of the smooth versions:

SMITH & WESSON J FRAME RND BUTT COMBAT BOOT PINNACLE RW - eBay (item 400042732527 end time Jul-09-09 12:20:17 PDT)

They've held up really well to almost 2 years of nearly daily IWB carry.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links