Which one do yall prefer PPS or CW-9

This is a discussion on Which one do yall prefer PPS or CW-9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being new to this I started with a "pay as you can" from a friend for a Walther PPK380......I love it......I can not reproduce the ...

View Poll Results: Your Opinions?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy the Kahr CW-9

36 47.37%
  • Buy the Walther PPS

27 35.53%
  • Buy both and sell one

3 3.95%
  • Buy both and try to keep both

11 14.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one do yall prefer PPS or CW-9

Which one do yall prefer PPS or CW-9

Being new to this I started with a "pay as you can" from a friend for a Walther PPK380......I love it......I can not reproduce the malfunctions resulting in the recall and have about 300 rounds thru it so far but I will be sending it in as soon as the backlog eases up a bit.....AND I get another gun.

I then backed the PPK up for practice with a P22 by Walther...Out the door 10% tax and all for around 300 NEW ( my friend spends tons in that store so I got a discount as it was marked 449)...One must have something to fire cheap ammo to practice.....and since it holds ten I think in a bind it would do well to at least slow down any BG's....So that one is a done deal also. Wife not so happy that I took one to the range and came home with two.....but I love that plinker. And you guys know I needed it right?

Now to the 9's...The question at hand....

I layed away the Kahr CW-9 at about 400....it felt like a feather in my hand and they had just gotten it in and put it out...I had them put it back up for me....It was an impulse as they just had the one.

Then I read what seemed like a lot of negative stuff about them and began wondering about it.......

So then...

A Dear friend said his preference was a PPS, I value his opinion highly.....so I went looking online and Lo and Behold I found one LOCAL at about 600 original owners and less than 50 rounds thru it, I went and looked at it and ended up asking them to also put it up but have put no money on it as of yet.....

I gotta let them know something Weds (6-24)...Any money put on that one will be non refundable.....what little I have put on the Kahr can be got back.

Then I read a bunch of stuff about getting hit in the head with the spent brass from the PPS?... and some stuff about the slide catch which I didnt fully understand.....the one I held seemed to function well?

So I am a bit confused.....I like the PPS better....with children around I really like the "Quick-Safe" deal on the PPS.......also I prefer the mag release on the trigger guard which is just like the P22 and I also LOVE that plinker!....I find it easier and quicker than the more normally placed release button on the PPK.

I dont expect (?) to be buying but one more handgun (9mm) and it will be my main carry piece...and like I said with kids around that Quick-safe is a big deal to me and I know I would feel more comfortable carrying something with a safety on it......the Kahr has none....The PPS has the trigger catch type and the quick safe.

So I guess the question is what to do?.....it is possible to get them both but will stretch me thin....But would that be your advice and then try to sell the one I like the least? As it seems they are both kinda hard to find.

Or do enough of you think enough of the Walther PPS (this one is from May 08) to recommend that I just concentrate on getting that one? The Kahr is Brand new.....the Walther looks to be.

All advice will be greatly appreciated and I must say I am leaning way toward the PPS
    Retired US Army/Disabled
    Tennessee in the Republic of the USA
    A Handgun Carry Permit is but a small piece of plastic, but it is a HUGE leap in personal and civic Responsibility!

2. Remove Ads

No experience with the Walther, but I started with one KAHR, a CW9, and now have a K9, a PM9 and a K40. No problems at all with only of them. My personal carry is the PM9 and my personal favorite is the K9

VIP Member
    Can't comment on the pps. My CW9 has been flawless and is one of my favorite carry guns.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Some really good info can be found on the Walther Forums, and the PPS Owner's Forum. Both are good sources of information.

Most of the problems you've heard about seem to stem from the 1st Edition guns. Stay away from those and you shouldn't have any problems. Even so, here's a good overview on a few things to make sure the PPS is running great.

Both are excellent guns; The walther is a little odd to hold, sorta like a glock grip in a love it hate it way and the gun wont function without the back strap. The CW-9 just cant really be upgraded with different sights. Cant go wrng with either.

VIP Member
    I like the balance (CG) of the PPS although I feel the Kahr has a better track record. Just my personal thoughts, so not much to back it up. ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I own two PPS's and both are absolutely first rate weapons. The Kahr uses MIM parts. No MIM in the Walthers, only pure German machined goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I like the balance (CG) of the PPS although I feel the Kahr has a better track record. Just my personal thoughts, so not much to back it up. ~
    Regards,
    +1 dead on
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

The PPS is a lot of gun for too much money...The CW9 and its spendier brother the P9 is a lot of gun for the money. I would go with the CW9 which will be a better bang for your buck. The PPS is a nice enough gun just a little overpirced IMHO.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I've owned or presently own 4 Kahrs. 2 flawless all steel models, (K9 and T9), and 2 polymer Kahrs, (P45 and CW9), both of which have not been reliable. I readily recommend steel Kahrs, but I can't recommend the polymer Kahr based on my experience.

My opinion on the PPS is mixed...a well made gun that I don't like for reasons unrelated to reliability and quality. It sounds like you prefer the Walther and are accustomed to the way they operate. I vote for the PPS.

EdC
    No experience with the Kahr's, but I love my Walther PPS. Great for conceal, and mine has been very reliable. I don't like the backstrap, a stupid idea IMHO, but the only real drawback for me. However, I think if you're looking for a Kahr that's comparable to the PPS, then you're looking at the Kahr PM9.

Therefore, if you don't need something as small as the PPS or PM9, go with the CW9 and save some $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I own two PPS's and both are absolutely first rate weapons. The Kahr uses MIM parts. No MIM in the Walthers, only pure German machined goodness.
    The CW9 does...I don't believe the P-series do. This was a deliberate decision by Kahr in order to bring down the price of the CW9.
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I've owned or presently own 4 Kahrs. 2 flawless all steel models, (K9 and T9), and 2 polymer Kahrs, (P45 and CW9), both of which have not been reliable.
    My PM9 has been flawless...other than a FTF during break-in due to my own stupidity, my CW9 has been flawless as well.

Funny how that works...

(Early CW9/PM9 models had some quality control issues...you have to do your research before purchasing a used Kahr.)
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

I selected PPS in your poll, but to be honest, I lean toward the Kahr because of the price. The two options you listed I keep going back and forth on. In addition I think about the PM9 Series (3.0" Barrel), as I don't have a 9mm (wife does), and this would be for CC (so the smaller, sometimes the better).

I've been on the lookout for a used CW9 or PM9. When I think this, I always wonder why the owner desided to sell it. 50/50 problems worked out (if there were any) or are your buying a lemon (or only by owning the firearm do you figure out why it is not worth keeping). Not factual per say, just thoughts in my head.

I think I selected the PPS because if I had the funds and / or this would be the only firearm (pistol) I had, I think I would go with the PPS if the other option was CW9.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I purcased a Kahr CW9 as a backup for my normal carry gun because of it's light weight and I'm prefer normally rifled barrels. Let say off the bat the the CW9 has a very smooth trigger and is very accurate for a double action gun. I provide personal protection to people who have had threats made on their lives so my guns reliability is crtical to me. I will not trust my life to the CW9 and I would not want you to think that the CW9 accounts you have read are just disgruntled owners. From day one my CW9 would drop the magazine after 3 or 4 shots redering the gun inoperaive. It has been back for repair and the service from Kahr is far from stellar. As for the PPS I have no experience but I have gone back to my 7 shot 357 as a BUG. I am in the market for a replacement for the CW9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links