Kimber Tactical 1911s?

Kimber Tactical 1911s?

This is a discussion on Kimber Tactical 1911s? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a GLOCK 26 that will be my carry gun when I get my CHL but I also want to get a single stack ...

Thread: Kimber Tactical 1911s?

Kimber Tactical 1911s?

I have a GLOCK 26 that will be my carry gun when I get my CHL but I also want to get a single stack .45acp for carry aswell. I decided I want to go with the 1911 platform because in .45acp its my favorite pistol. The thickness of a double stack 9mm is hard enough for me to conceal so I feal I really don't need to get a double stack 45, I'd probably never carry it! I'd still keep the GLOCK and carry it when I'd be going somewhere where dirt/sand/sweat will be a problem.

I like the Kimber Tactical Ultra II or the Tactical Pro II, http://www.kimberamerica.com/tactical.php. Both have bushingless barrels and the Ultra is 3" while the Pro is 4". I handled what I thought was the Utlra at a gun show several months back, but it had a full length grip which the Ultra does not seem to. I really fell in love with this pistol and had to force myself to walk away from it. I couldn't have bought it even if I had wanted to anyway but I just kept on coming back to that both. I want the smallest 1911 I can carry and still shoot well, thats also dependable. What are your opinions on Kimber's Tactical series specifically the 3"?

los
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    .... What are your opinions on Kimber's Tactical series specifically the 3"?
    I don't own a Ultra Tac, but I do own a S/S Ultra Carry (original series). It's my primary CCW and the best CCW i've ever owned.

A good feature found in the Tac series is that comes with NS. I also like the front strap checkering. A feature I don't care for (not concealment friendly) is that it also comes with a Mag Well that extends the butt making it longer. Which means that your Mags will have to have an extended base pad. A double whammy!!

Overall, The Ultra Series makes for a great CCW. It's extremely lightweight. Recoil is very manageable. Accuracy is dead-on at POA within national CQB distances.

Stay away from EE models. Reported issues involving FTF and/or FTE's are well documented. Not all EE models have these problems. But if you like to gamble, your odds are probably better in Vegas.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I have a Kimber Tactical Pro 2 Custom 4" model (EE). I love the gun, It does FTF once in a great wile. I had two FTF's in my CCW class using a wilson 47D magazine. I also have a 5" Colt. It also has FTF's once in a while. I do not shoot it as much as the other. From my limited experience with the 1911 models I do not know if this is the nature of the beast or if I am weak gripping it once in a while. I carry my P2000SK that has close to 1000 rounds through it and has never failed in any way. I am real secure with it and that is what I carry. I just picked up a Glock 23 and will break that in over the next month.

Basically all the Ultras are the same other than features and colors/coatings that set them apart.

I carry an Ultra CDP most of the time and is a great gun. I did however have some feeding problems even after changing to Wilson and then to Tripp Cobra mags. I dropped it off to my local gun smith and he did a reliability tune and trigger job and now the gun is 100%.

I personally would not spend the extra money on the fluff extras of a new CDP or Tactical. You don't need it for defense, so I recommend if going with Kimber in a 3" an Ultra Carry Stainless with night sites. That is the perfect carry Kimber in the 3" size. Remember there are NO better features just extras and "custom shop" on the slide that just means the custom shop installed the extras, like ambi safety, magwell, coatings, etc.

Kimber wants to much for the extras IMO. I bought mine used for half the price of new so the holding any extra value is out the window. The ultras are sweet guns and if you want a tactical get one of course I just wanted you to hear the difference and if it is worth the extra money to you to get one.

Next I would also recommend the Compact Stainless, this gun is Basically a CCO gun but with a 4" slide and not the traditional 4.25". This is a sweet gun too and perfect for carry. The Compact CDP is also available same basic gun but with an alm frame, again if buying new the fluff put's it over the top in price for what you get IMO.

There is also the Pro Series that is available in the commander Kimber 4" size with a full size grip.

Anyway, with any of them I would change the plastic MSH with a titanium or a steel MSH and dump the 1 Kimber mag you get with it and go with either Tripp Cobra or Wilson magazines, shot it 500-600 rounds, 100 of your defense round of choice to make sure all is well, put it a Max-Con V and call it good.

In closing if you are considering the higher priced fluffed up Kimbers I would recommend that you look at the Les Baer Stinger first for a few hundred more. Much better gun, no MIM parts and very high quality for a good price.

Sorry I got a little carried away.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    If I was to ever buy a Kimber I would go with the CDP.
    But I like to look down and see Colt written on the slide. That prancing pony just does something for me.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I have a GLOCK 26 that will be my carry gun when I get my CHL but I also want to get a single stack .45acp for carry aswell. I decided I want to go with the 1911 platform because in .45acp its my favorite pistol. The thickness of a double stack 9mm is hard enough for me to conceal so I feal I really don't need to get a double stack 45, I'd probably never carry it! I'd still keep the GLOCK and carry it when I'd be going somewhere where dirt/sand/sweat will be a problem.

I like the Kimber Tactical Ultra II or the Tactical Pro II, http://www.kimberamerica.com/tactical.php. Both have bushingless barrels and the Ultra is 3" while the Pro is 4". I handled what I thought was the Utlra at a gun show several months back, but it had a full length grip which the Ultra does not seem to. I really fell in love with this pistol and had to force myself to walk away from it. I couldn't have bought it even if I had wanted to anyway but I just kept on coming back to that both. I want the smallest 1911 I can carry and still shoot well, thats also dependable. What are your opinions on Kimber's Tactical series specifically the 3"?
    The pistol you were looking at that had the 3" barrel and regular sized grip is called a "compact", the short grip with a short barrel is the "ultra", the full sized grip with 4" barrel is called "pro".

No I'm not looking at a fluffed and buffed 1911. I plan on running the gun as is, no crazy mods. I'm actually going to carry this gun and will not spend over a grand for a carry piece. It comes with all I need; aluminum frame, night sights. Quality mags, ammo, and Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. is all that I'll need. Weight is a serious factor for me and the aluminum frame makes it all the more carryable. I just really liked that particular 1911. The Tacticals aren't like any other 1911, thats part of why I like them so much. There is a local gun range/training center/pro shop that will sell guns to members at wholesale.

Thanks Animal

los
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    The pistol you were looking at that had the 3" barrel and regular sized grip is called a "compact", ..
    Kimber does not make a 3" barreled/full length gripped model. The Kimber Compact has a 4" barrel and a shorter frame than that of a Kimber Pro Carry. The Kimber Pro Carry also has a 4" barrel.

Basically:
    - The Kimber Compact is a Colt Officer's Model size grip 1911 with a 4" barrel.
    - The Kimber Pro Carry has full size grip with a 4" barrel.
    - The Ultra series is a Colt Officer's Model size grip 1911 with a 3" barrel.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

No I'm not looking at a fluffed and buffed 1911. I plan on running the gun as is, no crazy mods. I'm actually going to carry this gun and will not spend over a grand for a carry piece. It comes with all I need; aluminum frame, night sights. Quality mags, ammo, and Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. is all that I'll need. Weight is a serious factor for me and the aluminum frame makes it all the more carryable. I just really liked that particular 1911. The Tacticals aren't like any other 1911, thats part of why I like them so much. There is a local gun range/training center/pro shop that will sell guns to members at wholesale.
    Hey if that's what you want then get it. I don't think you are getting what I'm saying but that's O.k.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i own a black ultra carry II and it is my primary ccw. I love this firearm and would recommend it to anyone who asked. My bro-in law own the CDP. other than the checkering on the front strap, I see no other differences in performance. I chose the black because i did not want any frills. I put on a set of hogue wrap around rubber grips to solve the lack of front strap checkering. this little gun is as accurate as some 5" 1911's and conceals easily. also never had a FTE or FTF in over 2k rounds.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Glock 36 ???????? If not,a Kimber Ultra CDP II.(this is my daily carry weapon) If you consider this weapon F&B'ed that's ok. It has the things that make it perfect for CC. You can pick up a used(with int. ex. only) weapon for well under $1K. Don't be afraid of the "under 4" bbl talk thats going around. With the minimal owner applied F&B, and the right mags or mag guts,these weapons are as reliable as any 5". I would reccommend that you go to your local gun store and handle one. You wont want to put it down. -------

Sponsored Links