I want a S&W 642

I want a S&W 642

This is a discussion on I want a S&W 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that it is so darn hot and humid in Michigan I find myself leaving home in my ultralight cargo style hiking shorts that do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy I want a S&W 642

Now that it is so darn hot and humid in Michigan I find myself leaving home in my ultralight cargo style hiking shorts that do not have belt loops. This prevents me from carrying my Supertuck/P-11. After reading all of the threads on pocket carry I feel the need for a pocket revolver and a good pocket holster. I have a Kangaroo shoulder type holster system that I can use with a button up shirt but if I want to wear a thin t-shirt I run into the same carry problem as before. And then if I did buy the pistol there isn't any ammo here anyhow. What to do what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I am overlooking something.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

I pocked carry my 642 maybe a half a dozen times a year. It prints too much in almost every pair of jeans and cargo shorts. There are a few cargo's that work well, but I just end up carrying IWB like I always do. Actually going to be selling it to buy a kahr.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Look at the Ruger LCR? - Overview

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Love my Ruger LCP for these "dog-days" of Memphis summer.

Right now it's 96 with a heat index of 108...ain't nothin' comfortable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I pocked carry my 642 maybe a half a dozen times a year. It prints too much in almost every pair of jeans and cargo shorts. There are a few cargo's that work well, but I just end up carrying IWB like I always do. Actually going to be selling it to buy a kahr.
    Well, that's no good. I certainly would not want the revolver to print. Printing is not illegal here in Michigan but I would like to keep it invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post
    I have recently become interested in the LCR also but I believe it is a newer design and it isn't as "tried and trued" as the S&W revolvers. Also I would want to forgo the rubber grip so the handle slides in and out of my pocket as the revolver slides out of the pocket holster. I do not recall seeing an aftermarket supplier of wooden grips for the LCR since it is so new.

VIP Member
    I pocket carry a 642 daily in the summer here in SE Texas. Gotta love that humidity. I have never had a printing problem with cargo or athletic type shorts. Unless you're wearing tight fitting shorts/jeans it shouldn't be a problem.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Pocket Holster

I pocket carry my 642 and I absolutely love it. I use a Mika rounded pocket holster and usually wear cargo shorts. It is so light weight and super reliable. Can't go wrong with the 642.
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

Just got off the phone with my local gun dealer and he said the 642 without lock was currently unavailable. I e-mailed S&W to see if it was in fact unavailable. It is currently in production, perhaps the popularity of the pistol has made the demand greater than the supply.

My EDc is usually a Kimber, but some days I grab the KelTec .380, or the S&W 637 (much like the 642) and it slips easily into my front pocket...conceals very well.
    Everyone should have at least one snubbie...

Don't let the ammo situation at the present determine your gun preference...you can alway find ammo, somewhere.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I pocket carry my 642 constantly this time of year in a Mika round cut pocket holster.

I usually wear cargo shorts,and a t-shirt.

Do not confuse a bulge with printing,I never get a second look.

I carry a S&W 442 "Airweight" which is a cousin of the 642. Like the 642 its is 5-shot DA also. The reason I bought is the same reason you are thinking about it. In summer I wear light clothing and a pocket pistol is a great alternative. I am a fan of the j-frames for that purpose. It is +P capable although I generally do not shoot +P.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I am currently awaiting an e-mail regarding the availability of the 642 but I am also looking for replacement grips similar to the old wooden ones with the checkering and an added t grip. I found a supplier of the T grip but I could only find one supplier of the old wooden checkered grips.
    Wood Laminates
    T-GRIP Listing

I carry a 642 stainless as my backup and hot weather carry gun. I put it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It has never printed in either blue jeans or cargo pants. I'm one who puts carry ahead of fashion, preferring to wear baggy shirts and loose fitting pants to cover my handguns. I buy them large just for that purpose.

That method has worked for me for several years. Your mileage may vary.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I pocket carry a 642 daily in the summer here in SE Texas. Gotta love that humidity. I have never had a printing problem with cargo or athletic type shorts. Unless you're wearing tight fitting shorts/jeans it shouldn't be a problem.
    I was just in Sugar Land.... and "died" because of humidity......

but I carried in a fanny pack...... (yes I know fanny packs are not like a lot.........)

BTW, I used to live in Sugar Land... when it was a small place... Loved it.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links