Which to choose. - Page 2

Which to choose.

This is a discussion on Which to choose. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am still quite young. I will be owning one handgun for probably atleast 5 years before considering getting another. It's main purpose is CCW, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Which to choose.

  1. #16
    Member Array jtyler05si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    84
    I am still quite young. I will be owning one handgun for probably atleast 5 years before considering getting another. It's main purpose is CCW, home defense. Of course that automatically makes it's secondary purpose a range gun. I don't have the money to buy and shoot a big cannon to take to the range only. I need a gun to carry and still be able to throw a few hundred rounds into every few weeks or so.
    I might also mention that I am relatively poor. Not poor enough for Obama to lend a helpful hand *cough, but poor enough to struggle more than those who got their free junk from el presidente.


  2. #17
    Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southwest, TN
    Posts
    1,251
    If I could only own 1 handgun...it would be the Glock 19

  3. #18
    VIP Member
    Array TX-JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    5,739
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    I might also mention that I am relatively poor. Not poor enough for Obama to lend a helpful hand *cough, but poor enough to struggle more than those who got their free junk from el presidente.
    I think most of us are relatively poor these days. Based on cost, I would lean toward a 9mm, either glock or XD. I can't comment on the compact XD's, I only have the service model. I don't really feel there is a big difference between the safety features. As long as you get a holster that covers the trigger, the glock is just as safe as the XD.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

    Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

  4. #19
    Member Array jtyler05si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    84
    well.... I am sort of leaning towards a G26. I have relatively small hands. If there is anyone that has anything AGAINST 9mm please speak up. Also I would love to hear arguments of subcompacts Glock vs. XD.

    thanks for all the quick responses everyone.

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,319
    Of those choices youwill be the happiest with the 30 overall. It is more of an every thing everyday weapon.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  6. #21
    Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southwest, TN
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    well.... I am sort of leaning towards a G26. I have relatively small hands. If there is anyone that has anything AGAINST 9mm please speak up. Also I would love to hear arguments of subcompacts Glock vs. XD.

    thanks for all the quick responses everyone.
    Have you actually handled a G19 and a G26? They are the same grip from front to back, the G26 is only shorter.

    Not being smart here, but have you spent time at the gun shop handling different types and brands? Is there a range close by that rents? This is the only way to see what feels best to you. Don't just go by the opinion of what all of us are suggesting.

  7. #22
    Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,231
    After what you said its for, I still and other Sig owners might disagree, a Glock 30.
    A Sig 239 in 9mm is still an option though.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

    Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

  8. #23
    VIP Member
    Array TX-JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    5,739
    I haven't shot either of the subcompacts, but the compact XD seems chunkier to me than the glock. I looked at both before I bought the G19.

    I think the only difference between grips of the G19 and G26 is the grip length.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

    Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

  9. #24
    Member Array jtyler05si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Have you actually handled a G19 and a G26? They are the same grip from front to back, the G26 is only shorter.

    Not being smart here, but have you spent time at the gun shop handling different types and brands? Is there a range close by that rents? This is the only way to see what feels best to you. Don't just go by the opinion of what all of us are suggesting.
    haha, no harm done. I will definitely go rent one and shoot one before I buy something. I like getting opinions though so when I go to gun shop and some one tries to tell me that "actually Glocks aren't that reliable you should probably spend more and get..." I can tell them to shove it and let me see that damn Glock. I don't want to be a sheep when I walk through that front door not knowing what I am looking for. Thanks to you I now know the difference between the G19 and the G26.

    Edit: I have already gone and rented a Kimber ultra carry. It had night sights but no LG. I like it a lot.... except for the 7 rounds in the mag :P

  10. #25
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,523
    Kimbers are fantastic 1911's but the price is outrageous...yup . My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP and it brother is the Compact CDP...both expensive, ahhhhh, but worth every penny. They are smooth shooters.

    If you lean towards Glocks and want a .45, pick up the Glock-36. The single stack makes it the thinnest grip of all the Glocks. I have one with me when I'm on my Harley. I find myself taking it with me more and more because the thing conceals so nicely.

    With an extra mag or two, either of my two Kimbers or my Glock have enough firepower for any WalMart parking lot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  11. #26
    Senior Member Array usmc3169's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    866
    I say go with the Glock 26. Nothing at all wrong with 9mm. And I am a .40 guy!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

  12. #27
    Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southwest, TN
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    haha, no harm done. I will definitely go rent one and shoot one before I buy something. I like getting opinions though so when I go to gun shop and some one tries to tell me that "actually Glocks aren't that reliable you should probably spend more and get..." I can tell them to shove it and let me see that damn Glock. I don't want to be a sheep when I walk through that front door not knowing what I am looking for. Thanks to you I now know the difference between the G19 and the G26.

    Edit: I have already gone and rented a Kimber ultra carry. It had night sights but no LG. I like it a lot.... except for the 7 rounds in the mag :P
    I wouldn't get too hung up on how many rounds you can put in a 1911. If you like that style of pistol, I would not let that deter you.

    Most people I know that carry 1911's carry 2 spare mags, that's a total of 22 rounds. I carry a Glock 27 .40 cal. It holds 9 in the mag with 1 in the pipe. I carry 10 more rounds in an extra + 1 mag on the left side for a total of 20.

    FBI stats show that most shoot-outs take place in 3 seconds at a distance of 3 feet with a total of 3 rounds fired.

    Unless you stumble into the middle of a "Burbank" style bank robbery where 2 or more BG's are shooting everyone with AK's...a 5 shot revolver should actually be enough gun.

  13. #28
    Member Array jtyler05si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I wouldn't get too hung up on how many rounds you can put in a 1911. If you like that style of pistol, I would not let that deter you.

    Most people I know that carry 1911's carry 2 spare mags, that's a total of 22 rounds. I carry a Glock 27 .40 cal. It holds 9 in the mag with 1 in the pipe. I carry 10 more rounds in an extra + 1 mag on the left side for a total of 20.

    FBI stats show that most shoot-outs take place in 3 seconds at a distance of 3 feet with a total of 3 rounds fired.

    Unless you stumble into the middle of a "Burbank" style bank robbery where 2 or more BG's are shooting everyone with AK's...a 5 shot revolver should actually be enough gun.
    I suppose that makes sense, but it would be nice to carry just one extra mag.

    As for G19 vs G26. I love the grip length of the G26 for my small frame, but I sort of like the frame rails on the G19. Although I am not sure I would use them at the moment, I like the idea of having them.

  14. #29
    Member Array GlockGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    102
    I won't argue the Kimber if you are able to think about releasing the safety when your life is in danger, it is my father's EDC. I however, carry a Glock 19. I'm 5'4 and weigh 119. I don't care for the G26 even though I have small hands I hate having two fingers hang off and see no sense in getting the grip extensions because you might as well get a g19 if you have to do that to make it comfortable to shoot. Whatever you choose, just make sure that the caliber chosen is something that you can control with both your strong and weak side. You never know when you may have to shoot one handed.

  15. #30
    Senior Member Array Warmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    Any comments or suggestions?
    Yeah, I suggest you take a serious look at something H&K in 40 or 357 Sig.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Help me choose!
    By atctimmy in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: November 1st, 2009, 01:17 AM
  2. Choose me a gun!
    By pepsico in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: March 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
  3. Help Choose CCW?
    By concealed in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: December 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
  4. $50,000 bet...which would you choose?
    By deapee in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: October 18th, 2007, 11:31 PM
  5. Help me choose my new car!
    By Betty in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: June 19th, 2005, 11:40 PM

Search tags for this page

brigadier slide on 90-two

Click on a term to search for related topics.