Which to choose. - Page 2

Which to choose.

This is a discussion on Which to choose. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am still quite young. I will be owning one handgun for probably atleast 5 years before considering getting another. It's main purpose is CCW, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which to choose.

I am still quite young. I will be owning one handgun for probably atleast 5 years before considering getting another. It's main purpose is CCW, home defense. Of course that automatically makes it's secondary purpose a range gun. I don't have the money to buy and shoot a big cannon to take to the range only. I need a gun to carry and still be able to throw a few hundred rounds into every few weeks or so.
    I might also mention that I am relatively poor. Not poor enough for Obama to lend a helpful hand *cough, but poor enough to struggle more than those who got their free junk from el presidente.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    If I could only own 1 handgun...it would be the Glock 19

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    I might also mention that I am relatively poor. Not poor enough for Obama to lend a helpful hand *cough, but poor enough to struggle more than those who got their free junk from el presidente.
    I think most of us are relatively poor these days. Based on cost, I would lean toward a 9mm, either glock or XD. I can't comment on the compact XD's, I only have the service model. I don't really feel there is a big difference between the safety features. As long as you get a holster that covers the trigger, the glock is just as safe as the XD.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

well.... I am sort of leaning towards a G26. I have relatively small hands. If there is anyone that has anything AGAINST 9mm please speak up. Also I would love to hear arguments of subcompacts Glock vs. XD.

thanks for all the quick responses everyone.

Of those choices youwill be the happiest with the 30 overall. It is more of an every thing everyday weapon.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

well.... I am sort of leaning towards a G26. I have relatively small hands. If there is anyone that has anything AGAINST 9mm please speak up. Also I would love to hear arguments of subcompacts Glock vs. XD.

thanks for all the quick responses everyone.
    Have you actually handled a G19 and a G26? They are the same grip from front to back, the G26 is only shorter.

Not being smart here, but have you spent time at the gun shop handling different types and brands? Is there a range close by that rents? This is the only way to see what feels best to you. Don't just go by the opinion of what all of us are suggesting.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    After what you said its for, I still and other Sig owners might disagree, a Glock 30.
    A Sig 239 in 9mm is still an option though.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    I haven't shot either of the subcompacts, but the compact XD seems chunkier to me than the glock. I looked at both before I bought the G19.

I think the only difference between grips of the G19 and G26 is the grip length.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Have you actually handled a G19 and a G26? They are the same grip from front to back, the G26 is only shorter.

Not being smart here, but have you spent time at the gun shop handling different types and brands? Is there a range close by that rents? This is the only way to see what feels best to you. Don't just go by the opinion of what all of us are suggesting.
    haha, no harm done. I will definitely go rent one and shoot one before I buy something. I like getting opinions though so when I go to gun shop and some one tries to tell me that "actually Glocks aren't that reliable you should probably spend more and get..." I can tell them to shove it and let me see that damn Glock. I don't want to be a sheep when I walk through that front door not knowing what I am looking for. Thanks to you I now know the difference between the G19 and the G26.

Edit: I have already gone and rented a Kimber ultra carry. It had night sights but no LG. I like it a lot.... except for the 7 rounds in the mag :P

Kimbers are fantastic 1911's but the price is outrageous...yup . My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP and it brother is the Compact CDP...both expensive, ahhhhh, but worth every penny. They are smooth shooters.

If you lean towards Glocks and want a .45, pick up the Glock-36. The single stack makes it the thinnest grip of all the Glocks. I have one with me when I'm on my Harley. I find myself taking it with me more and more because the thing conceals so nicely.

With an extra mag or two, either of my two Kimbers or my Glock have enough firepower for any WalMart parking lot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I say go with the Glock 26. Nothing at all wrong with 9mm. And I am a .40 guy!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

haha, no harm done. I will definitely go rent one and shoot one before I buy something. I like getting opinions though so when I go to gun shop and some one tries to tell me that "actually Glocks aren't that reliable you should probably spend more and get..." I can tell them to shove it and let me see that damn Glock. I don't want to be a sheep when I walk through that front door not knowing what I am looking for. Thanks to you I now know the difference between the G19 and the G26.

Edit: I have already gone and rented a Kimber ultra carry. It had night sights but no LG. I like it a lot.... except for the 7 rounds in the mag :P
    I wouldn't get too hung up on how many rounds you can put in a 1911. If you like that style of pistol, I would not let that deter you.

Most people I know that carry 1911's carry 2 spare mags, that's a total of 22 rounds. I carry a Glock 27 .40 cal. It holds 9 in the mag with 1 in the pipe. I carry 10 more rounds in an extra + 1 mag on the left side for a total of 20.

FBI stats show that most shoot-outs take place in 3 seconds at a distance of 3 feet with a total of 3 rounds fired.

Unless you stumble into the middle of a "Burbank" style bank robbery where 2 or more BG's are shooting everyone with AK's...a 5 shot revolver should actually be enough gun.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I wouldn't get too hung up on how many rounds you can put in a 1911. If you like that style of pistol, I would not let that deter you.

Most people I know that carry 1911's carry 2 spare mags, that's a total of 22 rounds. I carry a Glock 27 .40 cal. It holds 9 in the mag with 1 in the pipe. I carry 10 more rounds in an extra + 1 mag on the left side for a total of 20.

FBI stats show that most shoot-outs take place in 3 seconds at a distance of 3 feet with a total of 3 rounds fired.

Unless you stumble into the middle of a "Burbank" style bank robbery where 2 or more BG's are shooting everyone with AK's...a 5 shot revolver should actually be enough gun.
    I suppose that makes sense, but it would be nice to carry just one extra mag.

As for G19 vs G26. I love the grip length of the G26 for my small frame, but I sort of like the frame rails on the G19. Although I am not sure I would use them at the moment, I like the idea of having them.

I won't argue the Kimber if you are able to think about releasing the safety when your life is in danger, it is my father's EDC. I however, carry a Glock 19. I'm 5'4 and weigh 119. I don't care for the G26 even though I have small hands I hate having two fingers hang off and see no sense in getting the grip extensions because you might as well get a g19 if you have to do that to make it comfortable to shoot. Whatever you choose, just make sure that the caliber chosen is something that you can control with both your strong and weak side. You never know when you may have to shoot one handed.

Any comments or suggestions?
    Yeah, I suggest you take a serious look at something H&K in 40 or 357 Sig.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links