Which to choose. - Page 3

Which to choose.

This is a discussion on Which to choose. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; xd here...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    xd here
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

well.... It's not that I don't like H&K or Sig. It's just that I didn't grow up around them. My father has had his Glock 30 for quite a few years now and has had a few different XD's for a while now. From our experiences the XD malfunctions more than the Glock.

Is it safe to say that on average the Glock is more reliable than the XDs?

If this was going to be a SD gun that you carry everyday i would say glock. I love them. The kimbers are beautiful. Im actually looking at those myself as per request of the girlfriend. (that should be easy to convince. She already wants it ) Im also going to say good job on looking out for your dad by not spending more than you need to just because you can.

Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    I know, but of all safeties to have it has one that requires little effort or even a small melon to disengage. Unlike a thumb switch or the grip button (name has escaped me).

The XDm is a 5" correct?
    I am 5' 8" and 150 pounds on a pasta day. I wear a 30" in pants so full size looks ridiculous on me, I have tried.
    It may be your body "type" but I'm more inclined to believe it might be your gear and mode of dress.

I'm smaller and lighter and I have no problem carrying a 5" 1911 in a Mitch Rosen ARG wearing Cargo Shorts and a Hawaiian Shirt. BTW: I use a good belt too.

I've found the 1911 to be as concealable as the Glock 19, or a 4" N-Frame revolver. The "trick" is in using good gear and selecting the appropriate clothing to "dress around the gun".

No, I don't mean that you should wear a Trench Coat in July, but rather that by altering the stitch line of your clothing, selecting certain patterns, colors or prints, and maybe selecting clothing that is slightly looser on your frame that you may find a bigger gun is as easy to conceal as a smaller one.

When I'm selecting what gun to carry, I know from personal expirience that I want the biggest gun I can effectively conceal in the event that I have to use said gun for real.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    It may be your body "type" but I'm more inclined to believe it might be your gear and mode of dress.

I'm smaller and lighter and I have no problem carrying a 5" 1911 in a Mitch Rosen ARG wearing Cargo Shorts and a Hawaiian Shirt. BTW: I use a good belt too.

I've found the 1911 to be as concealable as the Glock 19, or a 4" N-Frame revolver. The "trick" is in using good gear and selecting the appropriate clothing to "dress around the gun".

No, I don't mean that you should wear a Trench Coat in July, but rather that by altering the stitch line of your clothing, selecting certain patterns, colors or prints, and maybe selecting clothing that is slightly looser on your frame that you may find a bigger gun is as easy to conceal as a smaller one.

When I'm selecting what gun to carry, I know from personal expirience that I want the biggest gun I can effectively conceal in the event that I have to use said gun for real.

Biker
    I understand this, and yes it is probably true. I could conceal a full size 1911 if I wore larger shirts. The problem is, I do not want to replace my entire wardrobe of t-shirts with Hawaiian shirts and other large items of clothing just to hide a cannon. I am not comfortable wearing a huge shirt. Everyone I know will question me about it, if I were to completely change my climate of attire. I am a jeans/cargo shorts and t-shirt guy. I do plan to put aside my "athletic fit" t-shirts that prints every belt loop, but I have quite a few t-shirts and polos that fit loose enough to hide a decent size gun.

Although I say decent size gun, I still would fill more comfortable with a smaller size gun for many reasons. I am pretty active all day, riding my bicycle everywhere I go and such. I would like the most concealable weapon I can find because I am not standing straight or sitting a fixed 90 degrees all day. Yes, I have heard about the smart carry and yes I plan to look into it, but I would also like a good quality IWB holster that I can do whatever I want while wearing it. So far I like the MTAC, it will #1 for me to go look at.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and advice, it has been very helpful. As of right now I have my mind set on either a G26 or a subcompact XD in 9mm. I will choose between them or negate them from my list and start over after I go and shoot them at the store/range. I still have my mind set on the Glock over the XD. But I still love the safety features of the XD. We will see.

wow this is super long.....sorry

I've owned two XD's over the course of the past year now and have fired a couple thousand rounds through one and several hundred through the second. I've never had a hiccup with either one with ANY type of ammo. You can check out XDtalk.com to find some info if you want. BUT that said GLOCKS are reliable and great weapons. I just didn't quite care for them as much as the XD's. I also like the take down method of the XD over the GLOCKs. Either one is a great great weapon to have.

That being said... my next firearm will be a Kimber Ultracarry. :)
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I've shot kimbers before and really like the feel, but i bought a G19 because of the price, size, reliability, and mag capacity. with some good SD rounds you will get good performance out of a 9mm cartridge. This is all coming from a person who a just a few months ago would say anything but a glock. I did research and shot one...thats all I needed.

-spoz
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."-Thomas Jefferson

G19

It seems a lot of people choose the wrong weapon (for carry anyway) because they're more focused in on what it feels like in their hand as compared to wearing it IWB for most of the day. A good belt (beltman or the like) makes a huge difference on comfort by preventing a great deal of sag without having to cinch it up. A good holster and where you intend to carry are as important as well. Think of it like cars. Some people like sporty sedans, others like pick-up trucks, while others like high MPG models. It's taste and need.

It really is a system and based on your body shape and acceptable comfort level. A thin gun makes a lot of difference on you hip. perhaps a little less for appendix carry. You really need two guns. One for your holster and one for your pocket. What happens if you don't discipline yourself is you start carrying the pocket gun (LCP, etc) and leave the holster gun at home. This is a tactical error based on comfort.

The main issue of effective caliber handguns is the smaller more comfortable weapon is based on size and as a result reduced cartridge count. Everything is a compromise. It's better to have five or six rounds compared to nothing but it's also better to have fifteen if you can deal with the size. Be honest with yourself and pick what “YOU” want to carry.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

I have a Glock 19 and a Springfield XD-9, both, for me, have been exactly the same in the reliability and I like the extra grip safety fo the XD....what I dont like about the XD is you have to depress the grip safety to pull the slide back, and at times it causes me problems.......I carry a Glock 26, and love it, but if the safety is a concern the XD cannot be beat IMHO.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Both Glock and XD have great performance in torture tests. MY XD9SC has never given me a problem with 3-4,000 rounds through it. Personally, I love the grip safety on the XD, a distinct advantage over the Glock. But it boils down to what feels good for you. Put them in your hand and shoot.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

awesome, thanks guys (and gals) :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links