Defensive Carry banner

Which to choose.

3K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  jtyler05si 
#1 ·
The main competitors:
Kimber ultra carry II LG
Glock
Springfield XD

now... I left out specifics on the Glock and Springfield because I am unsure of what I want. Now the story is that my father wants to buy me a gun. He wants to get the Kimber, it was his idea. Now I understand that the price range goes down dramatically when I look into the other brands.
Here are the guns that I have shot of those brands, all owned by my father: Glock model 30 (.45 ACP), Kimber 1911 fullsize (.45 ACP), Springfield XD (.40 and .45) not sure of 4" or 5" on either.

I grew up shooting mainly .45's. I do love them. The downside right now is the cost of ammo and availability. Not to mention mag capacity (Kimber is the biggest-loser in this category). So I am sort of wandering towards the 9mm even though the voice in the back of my head keeps repeating "weak-sauce".

so I know there are tons of you Glock people here, especially you G19 people. I know Glocks are beyond reliable, but I really wish there were more safety features.

As for the XD's. They have so many safety features. This I love so much. But I feel they are not very popular, which is a bad thing in this department. I have seen them jam more often than the Glock or Kimber.

As for the Kimber.... Beautiful gun. Everything is right on it except: 7 cap mag, and the ridiculous price.

Any comments or suggestions?

thanks,
Tyler

See less See more
#4 ·
Well between those choices. Glock 30, as reliable as they get, accurate out the box as anything comes really, holds a lot of rounds and can carry more then the standard mag.

I would go Sig though....

#5 ·
XD's jamming more than a Kimber??? Personally I would go with the Glock. In a life or death struggle you want reliability and ease of use. Just pull and fire. The Glock has safeties, as long as you use your safeties (finger off trigger and the melon between your ears) your gun will never accidentally fire.

#9 ·
I know, but of all safeties to have it has one that requires little effort or even a small melon to disengage. Unlike a thumb switch or the grip button (name has escaped me).

Well, all three are good weapons. My XDm (another option within your price range) has had less problems than the majority of my Co Workers Glocks. I have had it for about 6 months and have put over 6,000 rounds through it... I do love my Glock 22, and have complete faith in it, but find the mag release on my XDm to be more ergonomic and find the slimmer grips easier for my small hands to grip. I am not a huge 1911 fan (yet) but understand that the grip angle on the 1911 and the XD line are more similar than the Glock grips

I would suggest checking out the XDm.
The XDm is a 5" correct?
I am 5' 8" and 150 pounds on a pasta day. I wear a 30" in pants so full size looks ridiculous on me, I have tried.

#6 ·
Well, all three are good weapons. My XDm (another option within your price range) has had less problems than the majority of my Co Workers Glocks. I have had it for about 6 months and have put over 6,000 rounds through it... I do love my Glock 22, and have complete faith in it, but find the mag release on my XDm to be more ergonomic and find the slimmer grips easier for my small hands to grip. I am not a huge 1911 fan (yet) but understand that the grip angle on the 1911 and the XD line are more similar than the Glock grips.

I would suggest checking out the XDm.

#12 ·
Well I was making it a joke really, Im a Sig man myself.
Sig though when compared to the Glock is heavier, its all metal, except some new models.
It usually loses in capacity, but there are mags the even it out. Size is a little bigger usually. The Sig when compared to a glock loses, but I still prefer it.
Here is why
It fits my hand even the full size, and I have tiny hands, smaller then most womens. Its robust as all get out, and as reliable....to me a bit more then Glock but thats a personal opinion.
Sights are excellent, customer service is great, if you ever need it.
In the 20+ years my dad has owned his 226 we have never had a single weapon malfunction. In the 6 years I have owned my 15 year old 220, of which I am the second owner and it was abused before me. It has yet to have a weapon caused malfunction. The accuracy is out of the box one of the best.
It will last you a lifetime, and maybe your kids.

#13 ·
I have had several 1911's and currently have a Glock 27 and an XD .45 Compact.

Before I can offer my recommendation, I need to ask what will be your primary use of this new firearm? This can weigh heavily on what to choose.

Also, depending on which Kimber he is willing to buy, you might be able to get 2 Glocks or 2 XD's or 1 of each for the same amount of $$'s. This way you could buy a full size for the range, and a compact for carry. :image035:

#15 ·
For your size frame, you might consider the G26, it would probaly be a little easier to conceal. You could carry the gun with the standard mag and carry G19 or G17 mags for extras.

I wouldn't worry about the 9mm as an effective SD round. I've never felt undergunned with any of the guns we are discussing.

Remember...shot placement...shot placement...shot placement...

#16 ·
I am still quite young. I will be owning one handgun for probably atleast 5 years before considering getting another. It's main purpose is CCW, home defense. Of course that automatically makes it's secondary purpose a range gun. I don't have the money to buy and shoot a big cannon to take to the range only. I need a gun to carry and still be able to throw a few hundred rounds into every few weeks or so.
I might also mention that I am relatively poor. Not poor enough for Obama to lend a helpful hand *cough, but poor enough to struggle more than those who got their free junk from el presidente.

#18 ·
I might also mention that I am relatively poor. Not poor enough for Obama to lend a helpful hand *cough, but poor enough to struggle more than those who got their free junk from el presidente.
I think most of us are relatively poor these days. Based on cost, I would lean toward a 9mm, either glock or XD. I can't comment on the compact XD's, I only have the service model. I don't really feel there is a big difference between the safety features. As long as you get a holster that covers the trigger, the glock is just as safe as the XD.

#21 ·
well.... I am sort of leaning towards a G26. I have relatively small hands. If there is anyone that has anything AGAINST 9mm please speak up. Also I would love to hear arguments of subcompacts Glock vs. XD.

thanks for all the quick responses everyone.
Have you actually handled a G19 and a G26? They are the same grip from front to back, the G26 is only shorter.

Not being smart here, but have you spent time at the gun shop handling different types and brands? Is there a range close by that rents? This is the only way to see what feels best to you. Don't just go by the opinion of what all of us are suggesting. :blink:

#20 ·
Of those choices youwill be the happiest with the 30 overall. It is more of an every thing everyday weapon.

#23 ·
I haven't shot either of the subcompacts, but the compact XD seems chunkier to me than the glock. I looked at both before I bought the G19.

I think the only difference between grips of the G19 and G26 is the grip length.

#25 ·
Kimbers are fantastic 1911's but the price is outrageous...yup :yup:. My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP and it brother is the Compact CDP...both expensive, ahhhhh, but worth every penny. They are smooth shooters.

If you lean towards Glocks and want a .45, pick up the Glock-36. The single stack makes it the thinnest grip of all the Glocks. I have one with me when I'm on my Harley. I find myself taking it with me more and more because the thing conceals so nicely.

With an extra mag or two, either of my two Kimbers or my Glock have enough firepower for any WalMart parking lot.:image035:

#29 ·
I won't argue the Kimber if you are able to think about releasing the safety when your life is in danger, it is my father's EDC. I however, carry a Glock 19. I'm 5'4 and weigh 119. I don't care for the G26 even though I have small hands I hate having two fingers hang off and see no sense in getting the grip extensions because you might as well get a g19 if you have to do that to make it comfortable to shoot. Whatever you choose, just make sure that the caliber chosen is something that you can control with both your strong and weak side. You never know when you may have to shoot one handed.

#32 ·
well.... It's not that I don't like H&K or Sig. It's just that I didn't grow up around them. My father has had his Glock 30 for quite a few years now and has had a few different XD's for a while now. From our experiences the XD malfunctions more than the Glock.

Is it safe to say that on average the Glock is more reliable than the XDs?

#33 ·
If this was going to be a SD gun that you carry everyday i would say glock. I love them. The kimbers are beautiful. Im actually looking at those myself as per request of the girlfriend. (that should be easy to convince. She already wants it :danceban:) Im also going to say good job on looking out for your dad by not spending more than you need to just because you can. :congrats:

#36 ·
I've owned two XD's over the course of the past year now and have fired a couple thousand rounds through one and several hundred through the second. I've never had a hiccup with either one with ANY type of ammo. You can check out XDtalk.com to find some info if you want. BUT that said GLOCKS are reliable and great weapons. I just didn't quite care for them as much as the XD's. I also like the take down method of the XD over the GLOCKs. Either one is a great great weapon to have.

That being said... my next firearm will be a Kimber Ultracarry. :)

#37 ·
I've shot kimbers before and really like the feel, but i bought a G19 because of the price, size, reliability, and mag capacity. with some good SD rounds you will get good performance out of a 9mm cartridge. This is all coming from a person who a just a few months ago would say anything but a glock. I did research and shot one...thats all I needed.

-spoz

#38 ·
It seems a lot of people choose the wrong weapon (for carry anyway) because they're more focused in on what it feels like in their hand as compared to wearing it IWB for most of the day. A good belt (beltman or the like) makes a huge difference on comfort by preventing a great deal of sag without having to cinch it up. A good holster and where you intend to carry are as important as well. Think of it like cars. Some people like sporty sedans, others like pick-up trucks, while others like high MPG models. It's taste and need.

It really is a system and based on your body shape and acceptable comfort level. A thin gun makes a lot of difference on you hip. perhaps a little less for appendix carry. You really need two guns. One for your holster and one for your pocket. What happens if you don't discipline yourself is you start carrying the pocket gun (LCP, etc) and leave the holster gun at home. This is a tactical error based on comfort.

The main issue of effective caliber handguns is the smaller more comfortable weapon is based on size and as a result reduced cartridge count. Everything is a compromise. It's better to have five or six rounds compared to nothing but it's also better to have fifteen if you can deal with the size. Be honest with yourself and pick what “YOU” want to carry. :yup:

#39 ·
I have a Glock 19 and a Springfield XD-9, both, for me, have been exactly the same in the reliability and I like the extra grip safety fo the XD....what I dont like about the XD is you have to depress the grip safety to pull the slide back, and at times it causes me problems.......I carry a Glock 26, and love it, but if the safety is a concern the XD cannot be beat IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.