Which to choose.

Which to choose.

This is a discussion on Which to choose. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The main competitors: Kimber ultra carry II LG Glock Springfield XD now... I left out specifics on the Glock and Springfield because I am unsure ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which to choose.

Which to choose.

The main competitors:
    Kimber ultra carry II LG
    Glock
    Springfield XD

now... I left out specifics on the Glock and Springfield because I am unsure of what I want. Now the story is that my father wants to buy me a gun. He wants to get the Kimber, it was his idea. Now I understand that the price range goes down dramatically when I look into the other brands.
    Here are the guns that I have shot of those brands, all owned by my father: Glock model 30 (.45 ACP), Kimber 1911 fullsize (.45 ACP), Springfield XD (.40 and .45) not sure of 4" or 5" on either.

I grew up shooting mainly .45's. I do love them. The downside right now is the cost of ammo and availability. Not to mention mag capacity (Kimber is the biggest-loser in this category). So I am sort of wandering towards the 9mm even though the voice in the back of my head keeps repeating "weak-sauce".

so I know there are tons of you Glock people here, especially you G19 people. I know Glocks are beyond reliable, but I really wish there were more safety features.

As for the XD's. They have so many safety features. This I love so much. But I feel they are not very popular, which is a bad thing in this department. I have seen them jam more often than the Glock or Kimber.

As for the Kimber.... Beautiful gun. Everything is right on it except: 7 cap mag, and the ridiculous price.

Any comments or suggestions?

thanks,
    Tyler

VIP Member
    If my dad was offering to by me a Kimber, I'd jump on it.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    If my dad was offering to by me a Kimber, I'd jump on it.
    I understand, but it's not like he can easily afford it. Especially with the economy right now. Job reliability awareness for him is at orange right now. I don't want him to spend more money than he needs to.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Well between those choices. Glock 30, as reliable as they get, accurate out the box as anything comes really, holds a lot of rounds and can carry more then the standard mag.

I would go Sig though....
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

XD's jamming more than a Kimber??? Personally I would go with the Glock. In a life or death struggle you want reliability and ease of use. Just pull and fire. The Glock has safeties, as long as you use your safeties (finger off trigger and the melon between your ears) your gun will never accidentally fire.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Well, all three are good weapons. My XDm (another option within your price range) has had less problems than the majority of my Co Workers Glocks. I have had it for about 6 months and have put over 6,000 rounds through it... I do love my Glock 22, and have complete faith in it, but find the mag release on my XDm to be more ergonomic and find the slimmer grips easier for my small hands to grip. I am not a huge 1911 fan (yet) but understand that the grip angle on the 1911 and the XD line are more similar than the Glock grips.

I would suggest checking out the XDm.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Well between those choices. Glock 30, as reliable as they get, accurate out the box as anything comes really, holds a lot of rounds and can carry more then the standard mag.

I would go Sig though....
    Could you explain?
    I would like to know more about Sig. I have never held one, let alone shot one.

Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    I understand, but it's not like he can easily afford it. Especially with the economy right now. Job reliability awareness for him is at orange right now. I don't want him to spend more money than he needs to.
    Never fear I have an answer

Rock Island Armory 1911 and $368.00

www.MidwestHuntersOutlet.com: Armscor Rock Island 1911 Pistol, Arm54156FC, Parkerized

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    XD's jamming more than a Kimber??? Personally I would go with the Glock. In a life or death struggle you want reliability and ease of use. Just pull and fire. The Glock has safeties, as long as you use your safeties (finger off trigger and the melon between your ears) your gun will never accidentally fire.
    I know, but of all safeties to have it has one that requires little effort or even a small melon to disengage. Unlike a thumb switch or the grip button (name has escaped me).

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Well, all three are good weapons. My XDm (another option within your price range) has had less problems than the majority of my Co Workers Glocks. I have had it for about 6 months and have put over 6,000 rounds through it... I do love my Glock 22, and have complete faith in it, but find the mag release on my XDm to be more ergonomic and find the slimmer grips easier for my small hands to grip. I am not a huge 1911 fan (yet) but understand that the grip angle on the 1911 and the XD line are more similar than the Glock grips

I would suggest checking out the XDm.
    The XDm is a 5" correct?
    I am 5' 8" and 150 pounds on a pasta day. I wear a 30" in pants so full size looks ridiculous on me, I have tried.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    In that case I'd lean more toward the G19. I have a full size XD45 and it's a great gun, but for me it's a little big for CCW. I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry w/o the laser grips and carry it often. There's not much difference in size between the glock and the kimber.

I am also shooting my 9mm guns more often these days, than the 45's due to cost, so I understand where you're coming from. The G19 is one of my favorites.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    In that case I'd lean more toward the G19. I have a full size XD45 and it's a great gun, but for me it's a little big for CCW. I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry w/o the laser grips and carry it often. There's not much difference in size between the glock and the kimber.

I am also shooting my 9mm guns more often these days, than the 45's due to cost, so I understand where you're coming from. The G19 is one of my favorites.
    thank you, I found this very useful.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Well I was making it a joke really, Im a Sig man myself.
    Sig though when compared to the Glock is heavier, its all metal, except some new models.
    It usually loses in capacity, but there are mags the even it out. Size is a little bigger usually. The Sig when compared to a glock loses, but I still prefer it.
    Here is why
    It fits my hand even the full size, and I have tiny hands, smaller then most womens. Its robust as all get out, and as reliable....to me a bit more then Glock but thats a personal opinion.
    Sights are excellent, customer service is great, if you ever need it.
    In the 20+ years my dad has owned his 226 we have never had a single weapon malfunction. In the 6 years I have owned my 15 year old 220, of which I am the second owner and it was abused before me. It has yet to have a weapon caused malfunction. The accuracy is out of the box one of the best.
    It will last you a lifetime, and maybe your kids.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have had several 1911's and currently have a Glock 27 and an XD .45 Compact.

Before I can offer my recommendation, I need to ask what will be your primary use of this new firearm? This can weigh heavily on what to choose.

Also, depending on which Kimber he is willing to buy, you might be able to get 2 Glocks or 2 XD's or 1 of each for the same amount of $$'s. This way you could buy a full size for the range, and a compact for carry.

My bad I just re-read the post. It's between the XD, Glock and Kimber.

Well the Kimber, is going to cost the most. I think it's a toss up
    between the Glock and XD. I would prefer the XD though..

Have you looked at the Glock 36? Its small to CCW and .45

VIP Member
    For your size frame, you might consider the G26, it would probaly be a little easier to conceal. You could carry the gun with the standard mag and carry G19 or G17 mags for extras.

I wouldn't worry about the 9mm as an effective SD round. I've never felt undergunned with any of the guns we are discussing.

Remember...shot placement...shot placement...shot placement...

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links