Sigma 40...Owned 15 years, just shot it for the first time!

This is a discussion on Sigma 40...Owned 15 years, just shot it for the first time! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I know most peoples opinion on the Sigma line of pistols.....but here goes.....I have a SW40..bought it brand new in 1994, thinking it would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 40...Owned 15 years, just shot it for the first time!

Ok, I know most peoples opinion on the Sigma line of pistols.....but here goes.....I have a SW40..bought it brand new in 1994, thinking it would be a good investment with the dawn of the mag. cap laws coming into place....held onto it, never shot it for some reason.....but after trying to unload it (I paid $542 incl. tax) decided to "just shoot it"!....went ount with my step son (he is 13 and shoots really well, loves to go and is WAY safe)......damn....the most fun gun to date I have shot...love my Glocks, but this trigger on the 1st generation Sigma's is really, really nice.....I shot it, he shot it, he controlled it easily, we both loved it....

Yes, they S&W got sued by Glock on this model for copying, but boy the gun is nice to shoot. I never cleaned it, so it had 15 years of factory "stuff" in it...shot 100 rounds of Winchester white flawlessly, AND I think it will replace my car carry gun (currently either a G19 or a SA XD-9)....almost no kick, easy to keep sights and just a pleasant to shoot for a 40 cal.....sorry they couldnt continue making them this way.

I will NEVER wait 15 years to shoot a new gun again!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    ha...that's great that you had some much fun!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I will NEVER wait 15 years to shoot a new gun again!
    I have trouble waiting 15 minutes to shoot a new gun, much less 15 years.

Glad you like it...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I have trouble waiting 15 minutes to shoot a new gun, much less 15 years.

Glad you like it...
    I really dont know why I waited so darned long......some part of me thought "I like 9's, so wait until you can sell it, maybe as a collector"...but as a collector it aint worth much, and as a shooter, it was really a great gun.....the trigger seems as smooth as my Glocks, almost a little lighter......loved it.....
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Glad you finally took out your 40 Sigma.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

They are nice overall guns just not as well finished as some of the other stuff out there and got left behind...congrats on the "new" gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

At least we didn't have to wait 5 years for the range details.

Taking the son or grandson shooting is always a great time, helps to reinforce safety, and reduces the 'mystery' of firearms in the house.

Well done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My step son has been living with me since he was 10 and his mother and father have always been afraid of guns....so for the first 2 1/2 years the guns remained in the safe, only taken out by me. We talked about them, but he never held them etc.

One day about 6 months ago he asked me questions about them, prompted by his friends questions to him......so I sat my wife down and told her that the fear is the worst part, it drives curiosity......she gave in and I took a few out and showed him and her (although she wasnt really paying much attention).

I told him one day I will take the Ruger 45/22 out and we will go shooting....that was all it took. And the prep time really paid off, he looked, with a few exceptions, like a seasoned "safe" shooter out there.

His mother "couldn't bear" to watch so she stayed behind, but on the second outing, she wanted to come into the range and watch.......then she shot the 22 herself....after a while wanted to shoot what I was shooting (G19)......

Next thing you know, she has a S&W 642 and a Bersa 380, (took and has sent in her CCW app.) but her favorite is the G19 and my old S&W 4516.....and my son, he fell in love with the Sigma, also likes my old Safari Arms 45 and weekly shoots his Mosquito (had to get him his "own").

Now, if only I can find AND afford all of the range ammo........

The Sigmas got even better in 2001, so if you like your '94 you should try the new ones.

Sigmas get a bad wrap much of the time. Is it the best pistol out there, no. Is it the best pistol out there that is modeled after another strong name in the industry that I bought for $300 plus 2 free mags (in addition to the 2 that came with it), I will vote yes on this one.

The trigger sucked, I removed the spring that only added pull weight, so now the trigger is fairly good and gets better with age.

Nice gun, great price, gets the job done.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

My friend has on in the .40 and he really likes it. It is very pleasant to shoot, but the trigger pull is extreme. Has anyone sent theirs back in to get the trigger redone?

I tell you what, I deleted the text of my own post, even though it was written with humor.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    I tell you what, I deleted the text of my own post, even though it was written with humor.
    mine was too.

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    My friend has on in the .40 and he really likes it. It is very pleasant to shoot, but the trigger pull is extreme. Has anyone sent theirs back in to get the trigger redone?
    I checked around with smiths and no one would touch it around here. I Googled "Sigma trigger job" and fully knowing it would void my warranty and the fact I am NOT a gunsmith I did the job myself. It made a World of difference and really isn't that difficult.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I sent mine back because of light strikes and at the same time complained the trigger was "gritty". Over 1000 flawless rounds and the work order said "adjusted trigger". Not sure what they did but the trigger is very smooth now. Still long and hard but no worry about a "Plaxico" discharge. I have found if I shoot it more like a double action wheel gun, meaning "pull", not "sqeeezzze" (which is what we'll all be doing if the SHTF) it's a good shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links