Safe?

This is a discussion on Safe? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all I just have a few dumb questions here. Kimber Custom 2 1) Is it safe to carry cocked? How good is the safety? ...

Thread: Safe?

Safe?

Hi all

I just have a few dumb questions here.
    Kimber Custom 2

1) Is it safe to carry cocked? How good is the safety?
    or
    2) Should I chamber a round and very carefully decock by lowering the hammer then maually cock the hammer if needed?
    3) Does anyone have pics of proper lube and oil points? I would like to make certain I am doing proper maintenance.

I know, dumb questions but if I don't ask I'll never know.

Thanks,
    Geo

2. Remove Ads

Cocked and locked is the only way to carry a 1911. And yes, it is safe. Trying to lower the hammer onto a live round is more dangerous.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    There are no dumb questions.
    Cocked & Locked... only way to carry a 1911.

*edit* This site might help you out some
    http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_Maintain.htm
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Quote Originally Posted by .45acp
    Hi all

I just have a few dumb questions here.
    Kimber Custom 2

1) Is it safe to carry cocked? How good is the safety?
    or
    2) Should I chamber a round and very carefully decock by lowering the hammer then maually cock the hammer if needed?
    3) Does anyone have pics of proper lube and oil points? I would like to make certain I am doing proper maintenance.

I know, dumb questions but if I don't ask I'll never know.

Thanks,
    Geo
    1) Not a 1911 expert but I've seen the exploded drawings... Personally I feel if your firearm of choice is the 1911 cocked and locked is the only way to go. It's the only way your gun will be ready if you ever need it when it counts and it's the safest option you have besides leaving the chamber unloaded, which is not acceptable if you are carrying it for defense.

I would of course test your Kimber out in a safe target range situation and practice manipulating its controls before committing it to defensive duty, but I can't imagine you'll have significant problems as I imagine that is a high quality firearm you have there.

2) Not a good idea. This is about like letting an old fashioned single action revolver without a transfer bar safety rest on a loaded chamber.

3) Check this out:

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_Maintain.htm

There's a section on just about everything, I imagine if you read this all and follow all the links it'll answer a lot of questions.

Your questions aren't dumb at all, what would be dumb is not asking these questions.

Edit: Ride4 beat me to it!

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Cocked and locked is very dangerous, please send me your 1911 and I'll use it for a while and make sure it will be safe for you to carry.

Quality control requires at least 2 stages. Send it to me after Bruces45 checks it out and then I will double check it. Cocked and locked is the only way.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

The 1911 in a C&L condition 1 state is IMO the safest CCW there is!

So Cocked & Locked, you will eventually have a ND if you drop the hammer on a live round, so don't do it. This will give this anti's something else to scream about.

Don't be worried thousands upon thousands carry C&L everyday, I have never had a ND/AD ever carrying this way.

Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire no matter what gun you carry and you will have a 100% sucess rate that you are not going to shoot unless you want to.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Cocked and locked is the only way to go.Any other way would be dangerous.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have a Kimber Custom II, and I also have thought about those same questions: Condition 1, 2, or 3. I know one holster I have (major mass produced brand IWB) with a retention strap knocks the safety to off! fortunately it was cheap. This has however put the FEAR OF GOD in me that other holsters could knock the safety. I am also afraid that in certain circumstances racking the slide would be impossible - so what would be the point of carrying.

I am new to CCW, but I also don't have tons of money to spend on a holster. I kinda wish the safety was just a tad stiffer, but my kimber is MUCH stiffer than my previous Colt/Ithica.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi
    I have a Kimber Custom II, and I also have thought about those same questions: Condition 1, 2, or 3. I know one holster I have (major mass produced brand IWB) with a retention strap knocks the safety to off! fortunately it was cheap. This has however put the FEAR OF GOD in me that other holsters could knock the safety. I am also afraid that in certain circumstances racking the slide would be impossible - so what would be the point of carrying.

I am new to CCW, but I also don't have tons of money to spend on a holster. I kinda wish the safety was just a tad stiffer, but my kimber is MUCH stiffer than my previous Colt/Ithica.
    Keeping your finger off the trigger of any gun until you are ready to fire (and what's between your ears) is the best safety you have.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    Gotta agree CnL all the way. more dangerous to try and thumb the hammer down or back for that matter. as long as good gun safety is followed , it is as safe as any other gun out there.
    If you do not trust yourself, try carrying CnL around the house with an unloaded gun first. Practice draws, ect. and go from there.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Everyone all ready hit is C&L is the only way to carry..

Never try to decock with a live round

Lube is pretty easy slide rails frame rails barrel hood and bushing

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi

Check in with some of the fine holster makers here, they can make you a very fine holster for not more and sometimes less than what you will pay for a off the shelf holster. And it will not pull your safety off.

Yup.........."condition one" Cocked and Locked is the ONLY way to carry............
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Links