The Summer Carry Conundrum

This is a discussion on The Summer Carry Conundrum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is my puzzle. Currently I have been carrying an FNP9. Its of a moderate weight, about 30 oz with loaded magazine. I have ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Summer Carry Conundrum

The Summer Carry Conundrum

So here is my puzzle. Currently I have been carrying an FNP9. Its of a moderate weight, about 30 oz with loaded magazine. I have some finances free for a dedicated CCW gun.

I live in Houston Metro area. Its real freakin' hot these days. Toting around a medium sized auto in my shorts is starting to get on my nerves. I would like to down size. I am considering between a S&W Airweight or sub-compact semi-auto. I like the 642 or 340. I read though that they can be like lighting off a firecracker in your hand. I enjoying shooting. So i would really like to shoot it more than 20 times. I was thinking a S&W 640 would be cool but at that weight, mine as well carry a semi-auto.

Subcompacts are cool like the G26/XD9c/HKp2000sk variety ~ more firepower but is a tad heavier.

I will probably pocket carry or Appendix IWB.

Those of you that prefer a summer carry in serious heat. Please join in. My summer dress is Cargo shorts/sandals/cuban short sleeve ~ bowling shirt.

Thanks for your opinions.

Stay Cool

Stav.
    Come to the Darkside. We have Cookies.

2. Remove Ads

Depends on your caliber preference. 9mm on down, a lot of options' seecamp, keltec, etc. 40SW on up, you're options are limited; Kahr, Glock 36, subcompact 1911. Having been thought this dilemma Kahr seems to be a realistic balance solution.

How about a Khar PM9 or Kel-Tec if you want to pocket carry? I know you mentioned a G26 or XDsc but concerned about bulk? I don't know your frame but I am 6'2" 170lbs. With my XDsc or even my G19, a nice belt and IWB holster, cargos and a tshirt are more than adequate for comfort and concealment.

Fess

Summer shorts, print shirt, and a Glock-36 (.45), or a Glock-26 (9mm) should be EASY to conceal.
    Either would work.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    PM9 and recently a Glock G33 has been working with me in hot Florida. Checkout a FIST K4 for appendix carry. I'm about to pull the trigger on a K4A (cantable version) for my new G33. I like to carry around 4-5 o'clock when going IWB. The PM9 also rides nicely in a FIST K5 when pocket carrying. Your attire sounds perfect to conceal easily either way.

I wear the same gun in the winter as the summer.

Bear in mind, 9 months out of the year I wear Cargo Shorts most days, if that tells you anything. Since you are looking for "smaller and lighter" I'd have to say, go with an Airweight 442/642 or the new Ruger LCR. It will go places even the PM9 or Block 26 won't, and lends itself well to non-traditional modes of carry like the pocket or ankle.

BTW: My off duty gun is on the left. The J-Frame is a BUG when I'm off duty. I tend to agree with Clint Smith in regards to carrying a firearm, as I'm serious about it. "A gun should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable."

Take care, stay safe, and good luck in your selection.

Biker

The 642 is not too bad to shoot if your not trying to do range time with self defense or +P rounds. My wife doesn't mind shooting hers with the lighter loads. The +P rounds can be a handfull for some, but are you really going to go out and shoot a bunch of them for practice, probably not.

If you can find one of the lighter S&W's to try out, I say give it a shot and see what you think. They are extremely easy to conceal and like Biker said give you more options than most in places to carry.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    Depends on your caliber preference. 9mm on down, a lot of options' seecamp, keltec, etc. 40SW on up, you're options are limited; Kahr, Glock 36, subcompact 1911. Having been thought this dilemma Kahr seems to be a realistic balance solution.
    Another .40 option is CZ 2075 RAMI chambered in .40 SW

Be sure to get a newer model year, some original ones had issues that have since been worked out.

Great thread. I'd like to see more input and pics of the compacts people are carrying.

I too, am considering something a bit smaller these days.

Thanks

I am around 5'10" 150lbs. So I am a bit slim. Also, I dont want to go any lower than 9mm or .38 special.

Farronwolf - you are right 642 variety - I most likely wont be putting a bunch of +p rounds downrange. That could get expensive. But i would like to shoot it with wadcutters and such.

Thanks for the opinions.. keep 'em coming.
    Come to the Darkside. We have Cookies.

I own a 642 and it's a classic for a reason. Mine shoots to point of aim and, I do not find it painful to shoot, even with +P ammo. I've even been shooting the little Airweight on snubby scenarios during unofficial IDPA shoots (which is really a lot of fun!) However, I find my Kahr P9 easier to carry (IWB and Thunderwear) and I appreciate the benefit of really good night sights.

I lived in Houston for a couple years as a kid. I do NOT miss the heat/humidity!

PC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stav View Post
    I live in Houston Metro area. Its real freakin' hot these days.
    I live here too. I pocket carry a 642 98% of the time in the summer. I use Mika round cut or a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. In cargo shorts it disappears and is so light I almost forget I have it in my pocket.

I shoot it with std. .38 loads for practice and then run a few +P loads at the end of my shooting session. Shooting +P loads is not as bad as some people make it out to be. IMO. I did change the boot grip that came on my 642 to a Hogue grip and it made all the difference to me in feel, pointability and felt recoil.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Walther has some pretty slim handguns in 9mm and .40
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Hey Stav: You might have to compromise a little on the weight and go with the steel-frame 640. It's compact enough for pocket or IWB carry with your summer wardrobe yet won't beat you like an Airweight when you shoot it. I like the 640(HAD one..it's gone now)because it's a good "stand alone" EDC(Every Day Carry)and it also fills the BUG(Back-Up Gun)role well, especially complimenting a solid auto pistol. Just my $.02. Good Luck with your choice!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by Stav View Post
    My summer dress is Cargo shorts/sandals/cuban short sleeve ~ bowling shirt.
    Except for the sandals (substitute yuppie "boat shoes"), that's me too. The Hawaiian/Cuban/"barber" shirts make it easy to conceal a serious pistol.

Not that a .38 J frame isn't serious... but I always felt a bit un-easy with just that. The heathens around here (we didn't send enough of them your way after Katrina) are getting bolder... and expanding their areas of operation.

In my experience, a 100% cotton Hawaiian/guyaberra/barber shirt, over a wife beater, is just as cool (less hot?) as a regular T shirt by itself. I tote a G19 and spare mag; the pistol is in a super-thin kydex IWB, and the mag rides in an OLD Sparks OWB pouch, that Milt himself made.

The main issue, as far as I'm concerned, here is weight. The Bowie G19 and one 15 round extra magazine weigh a bit less than my P7 and two extra magazines. I'm not sure exactly what the loaded G19 weighs, but I'm reasonably certain its less than 30 ounces.

One of these tail-out shirts is ideal as a cover garment; might as well take advantage of it. Holster selection needs a bit of attention, though, to avoid printing.

If you're thinking of a different roscoe, look at the Walther PPS. They supposedly have the gremlins out of them now, and a P7 is the only thing I ve seen (that I would carry) which is as thin in the butt... and that's where the "printing" issues come from.

That P7 hides like a dream, and shoots like a laser. But its heavy, and a MAJOR pain in the arse to clean properly.

A Kahr PM9 might be another option. Smaller than both the Walther and HK- with two less rounds- the several I have shot were not bad at all. But I would put a minimum of 200 no-malfunction rounds through it before I carried it. Ditto the Walther.

Anyway.... those are my thoughts. FWIW, an AirWeight J frame carries great in the pocket as a back-up to your hip iron...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links